The Astell & Kern AK120
Nov 8, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #6,768 of 7,071
It's the optical cable.

The cable that came with my Hugo passes 192 without issue. I have a Moon Audio SIlver Dragon that passes 192 most of the time but if I compress the bend in the cable it will cut out. I laso have a Lifatec cable that just doesn't work at all at 192.

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #6,769 of 7,071
  It's the optical cable.

The cable that came with my Hugo passes 192 without issue. I have a Moon Audio SIlver Dragon that passes 192 most of the time but if I compress the bend in the cable it will cut out. I laso have a Lifatec cable that just doesn't work at all at 192.

Thank you very much for the education folks. I'll pick up one of the Sync cables. 

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #6,770 of 7,071
Hi guys, I'm curious about your opinions regarding my case. I currently own an ak100ii and while I'm happy with it, I keep running out of space. I was planning on upgrading to the ak240 but a friend had pointed out that the ak120 Titan has 128gb of storage + 2 microsd slots which is really appealing.

I have a few questions though. Would switching to the Titan be a downgrade in SQ compared to my ak100ii? Also, will the 120 Titan be able to recognize 200gb cards or at least 128gb? Lastly, can you compare the 120 Titan to the ak240?

The urge is strong to keep both daps but that means two sets of memory cards and all that so I will have to sell the 100ii if I do go this route.

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #6,771 of 7,071
Jjacq,

Depends on your sonic preference really as the new AK100 II uses Cirrus chips instead of the Wolfson's in the older AK120.
For myself, I much prefer the slight warmth of the Wolfson's to the neutral/analytical sound of the Cirrus. Which is also why I very much prefer  the RWAK120 to the AK240, but I digress.
To get an indication of the sound of the old AK100/120 models, the new AK Jr uses the same Wolfson chip and has a similar sound (to my ears). If you can audition them, all the better.
Back to storage, I've used 128GB cards without issue, and I've read some forumers who have used 200GB cards without issues as well. The main for you would be the 2 MicroSD slots on the older AK models.

Hope this helps.

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #6,772 of 7,071
I use 2x200gb cards in my Titan, all works fine, but forget about updating the library as it bums out at 10000 files, folder view only with this much capacity!

Edit: a picture paints a thousand words...

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #6,773 of 7,071
I use 2x200gb cards in my Titan, all works fine, but forget about updating the library as it bums out at 10000 files, folder view only with this much capacity!

So it cuts out at 10,000 files? By any chance do you know if this is an issue with the ak240 as well?

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #6,774 of 7,071
I've got the AK120 too and also prefer the warmer sound of the Wolfon Chips.  I'm running dual 128mSD cards without any issue.  With 64GB on board + the 256GB witht eh cards, I have plenty of space.   I'd recommend the 240 for capacity and SQ - I dont particularly like the interface - THe screen is very small and its not overly touch friendly for navigation (except in folder view) - the unit sounds great.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #6,775 of 7,071
Hi guys, I'm curious about your opinions regarding my case. I currently own an ak100ii and while I'm happy with it, I keep running out of space. I was planning on upgrading to the ak240 but a friend had pointed out that the ak120 Titan has 128gb of storage + 2 microsd slots which is really appealing.

I have a few questions though. Would switching to the Titan be a downgrade in SQ compared to my ak100ii? Also, will the 120 Titan be able to recognize 200gb cards or at least 128gb? Lastly, can you compare the 120 Titan to the ak240?

The urge is strong to keep both daps but that means two sets of memory cards and all that so I will have to sell the 100ii if I do go this route.

Are you are happy with how AK100ii sounds like? And your only problem is running out of space? Why not just get another micro SD card and just swap it in and out. Buying a new DAP with more built-in storage and/or dual card slot will bring yourself in the same position down the road again. 

Just ny 2 cents woth. 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #6,776 of 7,071
I've 2 x 128gb cards in my AK120 and they work fine.  I use them mostly for my HiRes collection so quantity is not an issue - especially when scanning.  What I have noticed is a tiny lag at times when scrolling through my music. It's not much of a problem for me as again, I've mostly hires files onboard so quantity is not an issue  This lag does not exist on my 64gb cards.  I use high quality Samsung Evo Pro cards too so they're as good as you'll get. I assume the Titan will behave similarly....

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #6,777 of 7,071
  I've 2 x 128gb cards in my AK120 and they work fine.  I use them mostly for my HiRes collection so quantity is not an issue - especially when scanning.  What I have noticed is a tiny lag at times when scrolling through my music. It's not much of a problem for me as again, I've mostly hires files onboard so quantity is not an issue  This lag does not exist on my 64gb cards.  I use high quality Samsung Evo Pro cards too so they're as good as you'll get. I assume the Titan will behave similarly....

Yes same here, the ring rotates two rounds before when browsing music on the titan on 128GB cards. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #6,778 of 7,071

Are you are happy with how AK100ii sounds like? And your only problem is running out of space? Why not just get another micro SD card and just swap it in and out. Buying a new DAP with more built-in storage and/or dual card slot will bring yourself in the same position down the road again. 

Just ny 2 cents woth. 
tongue_smile.gif

If the AK120 Titan is not a compromise in sound in my ears I won't mind switching DAPs. I am not displeased with the AK100ii's sound but I'd rather have a single device vs getting separate cards to listen to music. It's not very ideal on the go and the likelihood of losing it would be high.

In a perfect world I'd want a DAP with unlimited storage but 128gb internal + 2x microsd slots puts me close to that than any other DAP I can think of right now in a single package.

As for the 10,000 track count, does this limit apply to when you view genres as well? What happens if you have more than 10,000 songs then you select a particular genre. Will it show the songs 10,000 and beyond that were capped in library view?

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #6,779 of 7,071
I don't know how the files are read into the database, but odds on you would be missing quite a few files if needing to do library, rather than folder view and had a large library.

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #6,780 of 7,071
If the AK120 Titan is not a compromise in sound in my ears I won't mind switching DAPs. I am not displeased with the AK100ii's sound but I'd rather have a single device vs getting separate cards to listen to music. It's not very ideal on the go and the likelihood of losing it would be high.

In a perfect world I'd want a DAP with unlimited storage but 128gb internal + 2x microsd slots puts me close to that than any other DAP I can think of right now in a single package.

As for the 10,000 track count, does this limit apply to when you view genres as well? What happens if you have more than 10,000 songs then you select a particular genre. Will it show the songs 10,000 and beyond that were capped in library view?

For me I felt that the SQ of AK120 is not a compromise compared to AK100ii. Granted AK100ii is the newer release and sports a totally different DAC chip from AK120. The AK120 has the usual refine sound pumping out from AK brand. It is detailed with a touch of warmth. Extension is very smooth too. The AK100ii details will stand out more as it is presented more in your face. AK100ii is more towards flat/analytical SQ. Depending on your IEMs/headphones, if you're using a dark/warm sounding phones, the AK120 might accentuate the warmness. Same goes to AK100ii, a bright sounding phone will be accentuated too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back