The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 13, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #6,676 of 7,071
I finally got around to trying firmware 1.32 vs. 1.42 to see if I could hear differences in sound quality as others have reported. Without two AK120 units on hand, this is challenging because it takes several minutes to switch firmware versions. (This is absolutely not an instant A/B compàrison.) Nevertheless, I spent a couple of hours going back and forth between the two firmware versions about a dozen times, listening closely to a variety of tunes through both Shure SE535 IEMs and modded Audio-Technica ESW9 closed cans.

To summarize what I heard:

- I believe that v1.32 produces slightly stronger bass output than v1.42.
- I could detect no difference in midrange or treble output, nor characteristics such as soundstage.

I could be imagining the bass difference because it was not dramatic. The only way for me to tell for sure would be to hook up measuring equipment to the audio output and run some test tones. In addition, the stronger bass output I believe I heard with v1.32 was not always preferable. My modified ESW9 cans already have strong bass, so depending on the recording, v1.32 was sometimes overwhelming. But with the SE535, I always preferred v1.32.

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #6,677 of 7,071
  So, I've now resorted to hail Marrys. I've tried anything I could think of, and some things that I couldn't, with the help of Google, including changing the registry and stuff. 
Nothing works. I even tried the USB hub (had one, and an extension somewhere and they didn't work (not surprising, as at the end of the day, they are the same as plugging it straight).

I know and understand what is needed to support these things (I don't deal with drivers, but I do code). That said, I obviously don't only blame AK. Intel, Asus (as well as other OEMs) and MS are all to blame here. Changing a standard that is vastly used, in a way that is unusable to other users (AK being a user here) is unacceptable. 
That said, I'm quite angry right now. I have a high end desktop, with top of the line parts. I have a pretty expensive player, that I love the SQ of and much prefer it to every other one I've had or heard (about 6), and I might have to sell my player and get another one, probably one I like less, because I want it as a USB DAC. I don't have enough to buy a dedicated DAC for my machine, and at the moment, don't see the point.
Sorry for the rant.
I'll give it a little more time, I'll try some more things as well, but I'm getting frustrated, and I also don't have more and more hours to put into this. I'm open to just about any suggestion.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions!

I've had this same issue when trying to setup my AK120 as a "USB DAC" as well, since it seems as if the AK120 lacks a true/dedicated USB DAC audio output device capability, even though it is marketed as having "USB DAC" functionality (only up to 24/96, though, since iriver has never released a dedicated USB DAC driver for the AK120--however, they've released dedicated USB DAC drivers for the AK240 and the new AK380 for full-functionality as a USB DAC up to 24/384 and DoP(DSD), if I recall correctly.)

So, although "iriver device" shows up for me in both OS X and Win7/Win8 and can be selected as the default audio output device, my AK120 doesn't playback any sound/audio being streamed over USB at all. I've tried connecting the AK120 to "dedicated" USB2.0 ports (for example, using OTG USB2.0 to connect the AK120 directly to one of my Asus Tablet PC's microUSB ports, running Win8/8.1) without any success at all. The same issue happens on my Macbook Air in OS X; strangely enough, in OS X, the "iriver DAC" shows up as having a "max volume" of -0.1dB (or some other similarly abnormal level) in Audio MIDI Setup. Yet no matter what I try to do (including attempting to run it "directly" in Audirvana), no audio is played back from the AK120 itself.

Note that I have a modded RWAK120-B, although I emailed Vinnie and he said that the mod shouldn't affect the "USB DAC" section of the device. I've tried outputting the USB DAC audio through the balanced line-out (the 3.5mm TRRS replacement) and the standard 3.5mm "headphone out" jack on top (modded as a standard line-out) w/o any sound coming through either of the outputs. Also, using my Schiit Wyrd USB "Decrapifier", the AK120 still refuses to playback/output any sound, and thus makes no difference at all for the USB DAC problem (with my RWAK120-B, at least.)

I've honestly given up on the AK120's "USB DAC" functionality, especially since I've picked up the Calyx M to use as my dedicated USB DAC + DAP. The Calyx M works flawlessly as a dedicated USB DAC up to 32/384 + DoP (DSD64-128), at least when paired with my Macbook Air in OSX (using Audirvana Plus.) I'd assume that the AK240/AK380 would probably work similarly to the Calyx M as a dedicated USB DAC, yet unfortunately it seems that their older/lower-range DAPs like the AK120 lack dedicated USB DAC functionality in my experience...

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #6,678 of 7,071
Yeah, that sounds about right. I gave up on it. And optical in works fine, so it'll just have to be good enough. 
If I get a chance, I might check out the Calyx. For now, I am pleased with the AK. I think it sounds great, so don't feel the urge.
I just think it's a shame that everyone dropped the ball on this one. It seems that support from hardware manufacturers for older standards is not great, on the computer side, and then, AK seems to not care enough about a product that might be a little older, but was $1500 (for the Titan). I guess that's just not expensive enough to warrant proper driver support for this feature that is in the product feature list...

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #6,679 of 7,071
I finally got around to trying firmware 1.32 vs. 1.42 to see if I could hear differences in sound quality as others have reported. Without two AK120 units on hand, this is challenging because it takes several minutes to switch firmware versions. (This is absolutely not an instant A/B compàrison.) Nevertheless, I spent a couple of hours going back and forth between the two firmware versions about a dozen times, listening closely to a variety of tunes through both Shure SE535 IEMs and modded Audio-Technica ESW9 closed cans.

To summarize what I heard:

- I believe that v1.32 produces slightly stronger bass output than v1.42.
- I could detect no difference in midrange or treble output, nor characteristics such as soundstage.

I could be imagining the bass difference because it was not dramatic. The only way for me to tell for sure would be to hook up measuring equipment to the audio output and run some test tones. In addition, the stronger bass output I believe I heard with v1.32 was not always preferable. My modified ESW9 cans already have strong bass, so depending on the recording, v1.32 was sometimes overwhelming. But with the SE535, I always preferred v1.32.

I noticed the same thing as you did and was thinking about it before I read your post. I didn't do a through A/Bing, as I don't really have too much time these days, but I did put 1.32. I then went to audition an amplifier for my HPs, and noticed how much bass there was. I initially gave all of the difference to the amplifier, but later remembered I changed the FW, so had a quick listen on my home system. It did increase the bass levels. I think it was a little bit, but it is (to me) noticeable. I didn't notice too much up top. The bass had more impact, I would say, and a little more authority. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #6,680 of 7,071
Hi all

When I first bought my ak120 I was addicted listening. But then with fw 1.40 up I lost the daily listening period. I didn't know why I thought because of my better home rig but then I read about the fw 1.32 and downgraded and now I'm listening daily againg :)

Good luck downgrading :)

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #6,681 of 7,071
For me the biggest change on the s mod is the layering, spacial cues, accuracy of the sound staging and realism of instruments. This is in no way a small difference to my ears. I still very much enjoyed it on 1.4, less so on 1.42. But 1.32 its on an entirely different level when it comes down to it for me. I actually don't even want to use lesser gear even when the unit has lost its charge lol (X5). Thats not something I'm accustomed to.

Edit: I have to admit the bass impact, texture and depth are all something to marvel at. On some tracks I was shocked at how deep the bass reached. Though with the modification the bass generally will be in more quantity, authority over the stock unit.

If I'm to sum up the sound of the S mod it basically takes your red book albums and makes them sound HD. You get a clearer picture within the music. Even giving the feeling at times you are not wearing IEMs but listening to speakers.

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #6,682 of 7,071
Looking for some input from AK120 users.

I have the original AK100 that I bought when they first came out.  Very nice player that I have enjoyed since I bought it.

There are now several newer models but I see that the original AK120 is selling for $780.  That is just a bit more than I paid for the AK100.  Is it worth upgrading to the AK120 for that price or is it better to set sights on spending more for either a newer AK model or something else?  Is the stock 120 markedly better than the stock 100?  Is the stock 120 still a contender for a great player compared to other offerings?  I would be interested in your views on this.

Thanks.

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #6,684 of 7,071
Anyone having any trouble going optical out from their ak120 to a DAC? I'm running firmware 1.40, have never had a problem before... Yet now when I plug my optical cable into the headphone out, I get nothing out of my desktop rig. I'm using a Schiit Bifrost Uber and normally, I would hear the the DAC switch over (audible clicking sound as the mute relay does its thing)... Now I hear nothing. :/ it seems to not be getting a signal. Any thoughts? The other end of the optical cord (that's going into the bifrost) IS showing red light so. I'm at a loss. I've confirmed that both the DAC and optical cord are working fine by going line out from my rMBP.

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #6,685 of 7,071
Hi Guys, 

Does anyone had issues with copying files into his AK120 II with Android File transfer ? 
It seems like i have regular errors, trying to copy the files, works for 2 of 3 of them and then stopping and loosing its connection.
I must switch it back to renew the operation.
Do you know a way to correct this bug ?

Thks 

T.

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #6,686 of 7,071
  Looking for some input from AK120 users.

I have the original AK100 that I bought when they first came out.  Very nice player that I have enjoyed since I bought it.

There are now several newer models but I see that the original AK120 is selling for $780.  That is just a bit more than I paid for the AK100.  Is it worth upgrading to the AK120 for that price or is it better to set sights on spending more for either a newer AK model or something else?  Is the stock 120 markedly better than the stock 100?  Is the stock 120 still a contender for a great player compared to other offerings?  I would be interested in your views on this.

Thanks.

I found a significant difference in the upgrade from the stock AK100 to the stock AK120

I would recommend looking on the buy and sell forums here for a used AK120 as they will probably go for a fair bit cheaper. You could probably sell your AK100 here at the same time and reduce your costs more.

If you can find one of the mods, I would heartily recommend going for that. I have the Mezzo mod and can't see myself upgrading for a loooooong time as it sounds exquisite :)

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #6,687 of 7,071
I keep vacillating back to 1.37. It's just tonally better with a stock 120. Though I like the fast dynamic of 1.32, it's just lacks a bit of weight and is a touch glassy. Of course, it smooths out and fills that little bit if you choose gapless but then it loses that same amount of boogie that was gained. Certainly musical and fun which 1.4(2) sort of squashes.

If I ever bypass the output resistor, I'll give it another go as my jh13s (which is what I'm going to use on them) impedance does drop low in the bass. Probably around 9 ohms so I am losing a bit of low bass. Of course, 13s have a little bit of extra deep bass to start with so it shouldn't be a big deal. Cable comes into play here as well. I may well prefer 1.32 with the stock cable but I use a TWAG V3 and am not going back. Like I said. Nice to have options.
smile.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #6,688 of 7,071
  I keep vacillating back to 1.37. It's just tonally better with a stock 120. Though I like the fast dynamic of 1.32, it's just lacks a bit of weight and is a touch glassy. Of course, it smooths out and fills that little bit if you choose gapless but then it loses that same amount of boogie that was gained. Certainly musical and fun which 1.4(2) sort of squashes.

If I ever bypass the output resistor, I'll give it another go as my jh13s (which is what I'm going to use on them) impedance does drop low in the bass. Probably around 9 ohms so I am losing a bit of low bass. Of course, 13s have a little bit of extra deep bass to start with so it shouldn't be a big deal. Cable comes into play here as well. I may well prefer 1.32 with the stock cable but I use a TWAG V3 and am not going back. Like I said. Nice to have options.
smile.gif

lol that's awesome. So you too also hear a difference when enabling gapless. It's weird but I generally keep gapless off due to this. I prefer the sound with it off. I agree it smooths out the sound a  bit when enabled.  It's not as defined which I do not like. And you hit it on the nose with 1.32 sounding dynamic vs the other firmwares. For me this is extremely important. Otherwise music will sound too congested to me and I am not focusing on the details vs having sound forced on me (if you take my meaning). But I don't have an issue with the bass leaning out. With the mod it has a ton of authority, yet still maintaining that control. Sadly I have to send my unit in to have the battery replaced....

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #6,689 of 7,071

smile.gif

How do you like the TWAG V3? I have the TWAG V2 and wondering if the v3 is sonically different. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #6,690 of 7,071
I found a significant difference in the upgrade from the stock AK100 to the stock AK120

I would recommend looking on the buy and sell forums here for a used AK120 as they will probably go for a fair bit cheaper. You could probably sell your AK100 here at the same time and reduce your costs more.

If you can find one of the mods, I would heartily recommend going for that. I have the Mezzo mod and can't see myself upgrading for a loooooong time as it sounds [COLOR=222222]exquisite :)[/COLOR]

How is the battery life holding up for you with the mezzo mod for you ak120?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back