The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 15, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #6,271 of 7,071
  Hi Cosmic.

I was a bit better and somehow fortunate.  

When 100 launch I was aware if the high impedance and did try out a couple of audition and as you said the machine lacked horsepower (dynamic) and to me is no better than my iPhone (only to be small).    I did not bother to try the 100Mk2.

I did try out the 120 and same as you said it was better but not really justified the price and over time somehow someday and some reason I took the plunge into the 240 LOL

anyway, i was more upset with the original 100... bcos I didnt really enjoy the sound coming out it... I think I will feel better with the 240 even if AK decides to ditch it next year for a higher end model haha... because I enjoy listening to music with it now

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #6,272 of 7,071
  anyway, i was more upset with the original 100... bcos I didnt really enjoy the sound coming out it... I think I will feel better with the 240 even if AK decides to ditch it next year for a higher end model haha... because I enjoy listening to music with it now

You shoulda tried the 120 S-mod :wink:.

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #6,273 of 7,071
You shoulda tried the 120 S-mod :wink:.

I have tried the S-mod a few times....its a good source but subject to amp pairing...finding a good portable amp that matches the interconnect, iems and iem cables is an expensive proposition...LoL
Also, the latest round of DAPs has native dsd support...

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #6,274 of 7,071
AK 120 has been discounted! 

AK 120 titan $1099
AK 120 $999

Pretty good savings!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=astell%26kern+ak120&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Offer is good today only (8/17/14) according to web site!

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #6,275 of 7,071
Can't say AK a greedy company or not only they offer products that the market is willing to buy and that's the market dynamic. We all have to respect their vision with all these new models packed in such a compact launch window and so far it has been great success.

Sorry, Tosh! Making a $1200 player redundant less than a year after the general public put their faith and money into it. Hmm, No matter how driven they are in developing what a grateful and waiting public want they could have waited another year. What they are really saying when replacing a model so quickly is they got it wrong and are trying to sort it out by bringing a new model out.

Don't get me wrong, I personally love the sound of mine but its buggy and keeps freezing every once in a while. There comes a point where a responsible company says no to consumer demands and waits till the thing is fully functioning and ready, especially at this price point!

But I do not just knock A&K for that! iBasso, Hifiman, Colourfly, and the new one of which I cannot remember the name all do the same.

You know, I have been in this hobby for over 30 years and as the price has gone up the quality of a finished product has gone down. I think this is market driven as due to the immediacy of the internet and forums such as this, there is a pack of slavering consumers ( and though not that now I do count myself as once being one!) chomping at their corporate doors beating them down to release the product. Thats our fault and we need to change that as a community.

However, equal blame must be laid at the companies feet for acquiescing to our demands and releasing products simply not ready to be released.

The funny thing is that the more a DAP goes up in price the more this happens. AK240, it needed firmware updates right out of the box. If they had delayed launch by a year, sorted it all out then great but they know they can get away with it as forums such as this have bread a culture where its fine to have a half product as long as we get firmware updates to fix it!

In all the years of owning Sony products, from their very first Walkman Cassette player (yes, I am that old!) through their portable CD player, Mini Disc and then 2G mp3 the things sounded great and never needed updating, returning to manufacture to fix or anything else. They just did their job until sheer use wore them out and they were much cheaper!

I have to say that this will be my last player from any of these "new" companies as having owned products from A&K and HifiMan I don't really feel like supporting this sort of business practice anymore. I am jumping ship with my 120 and when that gives up the ghost I will go back to Sony I think!

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #6,276 of 7,071
Sorry, Tosh! Making a $1200 player redundant less than a year after the general public put their faith and money into it. Hmm, No matter how driven they are in developing what a grateful and waiting public want they could have waited another year. What they are really saying when replacing a model so quickly is they got it wrong and are trying to sort it out by bringing a new model out.

Don't get me wrong, I personally love the sound of mine but its buggy and keeps freezing every once in a while. There comes a point where a responsible company says no to consumer demands and waits till the thing is fully functioning and ready, especially at this price point!

But I do not just knock A&K for that! iBasso, Hifiman, Colourfly, and the new one of which I cannot remember the name all do the same.

You know, I have been in this hobby for over 30 years and as the price has gone up the quality of a finished product has gone down. I think this is market driven as due to the immediacy of the internet and forums such as this, there is a pack of slavering consumers ( and though not that now I do count myself as once being one!) chomping at their corporate doors beating them down to release the product. Thats our fault and we need to change that as a community.

However, equal blame must be laid at the companies feet for acquiescing to our demands and releasing products simply not ready to be released.

The funny thing is that the more a DAP goes up in price the more this happens. AK240, it needed firmware updates right out of the box. If they had delayed launch by a year, sorted it all out then great but they know they can get away with it as forums such as this have bread a culture where its fine to have a half product as long as we get firmware updates to fix it!

In all the years of owning Sony products, from their very first Walkman Cassette player (yes, I am that old!) through their portable CD player, Mini Disc and then 2G mp3 the things sounded great and never needed updating, returning to manufacture to fix or anything else. They just did their job until sheer use wore them out and they were much cheaper!

I have to say that this will be my last player from any of these "new" companies as having owned products from A&K and HifiMan I don't really feel like supporting this sort of business practice anymore. I am jumping ship with my 120 and when that gives up the ghost I will go back to Sony I think!

Try the HTC One M8 - a beautiful piece of kit that sounds brilliant and does pretty much everything else you want as well, including blowjobs* and making toast for breakfast*

*there's not actually an app for these yet, but I imagine it's only a matter of time.

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #6,277 of 7,071

Try the HTC One M8 - a beautiful piece of kit that sounds brilliant and does pretty much everything else you want as well, including blowjobs* and making toast for breakfast*

*there's not actually an app for these yet, but I imagine it's only a matter of time.

I've an iPhone 5s - sounds decent.  My Wife had the M8 and really liked it (the audio) but hated the camera.  She moved to a Sony Xperia Z for the camera and I have to say the audio is pretty fantastic....  A little better than the M8 - better than the iPhone.  She uses her UE 900s...

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #6,278 of 7,071
Does anybody use iRiver Plus for AK120 ? How is this program and program's transfer speed ?

I do copy/paste.And it takes so much time.

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #6,281 of 7,071
Thanks for answers.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #6,284 of 7,071
  An elementary question, but would the AK120 or 240 make 320kbps mp3's sound any better? 

Any better than what? Than themselves? That's a logical tautology.

Nobody can tell the difference between 320kbps MP3s and higher resolution files, using the same source recording - if they say they can, don't believe them.

Can the AK120 or 240 make those MP3 files sound better than they do on another player? Well that depends on all sorts of variables, not least a definition of 'better'.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #6,285 of 7,071

Any better than what? Than themselves? That's a logical tautology.

Nobody can tell the difference between 320kbps MP3s and higher resolution files, using the same source recording - if they say they can, don't believe them.

Can the AK120 or 240 make those MP3 files sound better than they do on another player? Well that depends on all sorts of variables, not least a definition of 'better'.

Haha, yeah, I laughed at the first sentence of your response :). Ok, I'll start with this, will it matter if I use mp3's with the AK 120/240? Or in order to take full advantage of what the AK can offer, I have to use high-resolution files. (But I do agree with your second sentence 100%) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back