The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 1, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #5,957 of 7,071
Do you know if no more major upgrades or no more updates?  A major upgrade is going to require updates for break fixes. 

Best to ask AK, bro.sorry couldnt be of much help. I read something along the line that they will release a majore firmware release and then they will pull out their focus on their old models. I am not sure if it will be gradual and I predict it is reasonable to release patches if there are serious bugs

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #5,958 of 7,071
I heard the new version this weekend at T.H.E. show in So Cal. Honestly, if you're not in a pretty controlled environment it's hard to even tell the difference between the new and old. I was listening through unfamiliar IEM's and the difference between the new and old AK120 was hard to detect...
OTOH Listening to the new version or the AK240 through a balanced connection to hard to drive phones is immediately apparent. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #5,959 of 7,071
I heard the new version this weekend at T.H.E. show in So Cal. Honestly, if you're not in a pretty controlled environment it's hard to even tell the difference between the new and old. I was listening through unfamiliar IEM's and the difference between the new and old AK120 was hard to detect...
OTOH Listening to the new version or the AK240 through a balanced connection to hard to drive phones is immediately apparent. 

Hi Sam

Not trying to discredit your impression. Comparing to the new and old models, there seems to be a lot of changes almost like a total difeerent product (hardware and software). The only rationale attributes to this finding is an unresolving amp section or the earphones used...that unable to reproduce the differences....just curious

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #5,960 of 7,071
Hey Cosmic,
I'm honestly just trying to talk myself out of buying every single version of the A&K product that ships.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #5,961 of 7,071
  Hey Cosmic,
I'm honestly just trying to talk myself out of buying every single version of the A&K product that ships.

Sam,

Would a firmware upgrade be available to current AK owners by shipping in their DAPs? How has iRiver handled firmware upgrades in the past?

Thanks, Ole.

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #5,962 of 7,071
  Hey Cosmic,

I should say that for critical listening in a controlled environment the AK120 II has an ease of presentation and power that the older player lacks. The AK240 takes it up another notch for people willing to fill their limited space up with huge DSD files. 
But at the rate they're coming out with players I really can't allow myself to buy each one as it comes out. But if they keep making them this much better I'll probably be in next round.

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #5,963 of 7,071

Sam,

Would a firmware upgrade be available to current AK owners by shipping in their DAPs? How has iRiver handled firmware upgrades in the past?

Thanks, Ole.

Firmware has been an internet download up until now. You just copy the file to your DAP and reboot.

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #5,964 of 7,071
So, what would a 3GB 24bit .flac album translate to in DSD?

A thought occurs as well; if Astell & Kern are set to drive high end portable audio trends, I do hope that it does not become completely inaccessible. God, or whatever is out there, forbid that Shure's next flagship has an asking price of over $2,000, which is for mine, beyond accessibility.

I am of the belief that the AK120 is affordable excellence whereas any further step up from that sees the already obscured line between excellence and luxury blurred.

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #5,965 of 7,071
  Firmware has been an internet download up until now. You just copy the file to your DAP and reboot.

Great. That's a relief. One less investment to worry about.

Thanks for the heads up.

Regards, Ole.

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #5,966 of 7,071
Is it possible to find firmware downgrades if one so chose?

Given that A&K isn't Apple, I am guessing the answer will be a resounding yes. :)

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #5,967 of 7,071
Is it possible to find firmware downgrades if one so chose?
Given that A&K isn't Apple, I am guessing the answer will be a resounding yes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, some of us have a complete set...
wink_face.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #5,968 of 7,071
Probably so, but I dun want to loose the ability to use the ak120 as a standalone unit. Right now I have cable adaptors for the SE and balance needs. :)

With the adapter, although to you're listening to it single ended? Do you get the benefits of balanced? More power at least? And how do we order the adapter? I do not see the option in moon audio. Thanks. :)

Jun 2, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #5,969 of 7,071
With the adapter, although to you're listening to it single ended? Do you get the benefits of balanced? More power at least? And how do we order the adapter? I do not see the option in moon audio. Thanks. :)

Hi joshuachew,

The option is there: "mini 4pin male XLR for adapter systems". The silver dragon v1 cable has 4 conductors all the way down to the plug, so it is balance ready (just need to mod the plug). I only use SE when using the AK120 alone.

Do you have a SR71B already? If not, check out my signiture =)

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #5,970 of 7,071
Regarding benefits of balanced vs SE, i found that the volume is slightly louder and overall, songs become more enaging especially bass heavy songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back