The Astell & Kern AK120
Apr 28, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #5,776 of 7,071
Which IEMs/headphones are you pairing the AK120 and DX90 with?  I have the AK120 with SE846 and debating whether to pick up the DX90, and how much of an impact/improvement there may be with the lower impedance of the DX90.  

Looks like UI functionality and usability between the AK120 and DX90 is on par with each other from the reviews and product info I've seen, what are your thoughts?  

The UI in AK120 still a bit smoother than Dx90. But sound wise, the dx90 win. Not by a large margin, but still sound better to my ear.

Before I receive my dx90, I love the sound from the AK, but now the AK sound a bit boring.

Of course you have to accept smaller storage and shorter battery life ( which you can buy a spare battery).

Also one things bother me about the AK is, I almost always listen music in shuffle mode, but in the AK it never look to me like it have real shuffle.

May 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #5,778 of 7,071
Afternoon fellas,

I'm just wondering if anyone here has been successful getting cover art to show with DSF files on their AK120?

I now have 50 or 60 SACDs ripped to DSF and despite showing the cover art when using JRiver or Audioshell tag editor, the AK120 shows nothing. I have no idea whether it is related but Foobar2000 doesn't seem to show the art either.

I'm really not sure what the problem might be

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Sorry scratch the Foobar2000 issue. That's playing fine now. Not sure what had happened there to be honest. AK120 however still refuses to show dsf artwork though

May 3, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #5,779 of 7,071
I don't think you can get art work to show at all. I've tried with no success. Doubt they'll fix that or playlist support like they said they would...

May 3, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #5,780 of 7,071
  I don't think you can get art work to show at all. I've tried with no success. Doubt they'll fix that or playlist support like they said they would...

Ah thought as much. Cheers Jim

May 4, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #5,781 of 7,071
Just got my 2x 128GB cards, fantastic, I have now 280GB of HD music on the go...however as mentioned playlist and tags does not work properly, have issues with album art, not recognizing albums, and in the artist folder I have 200+ songs which sort as different artists....PITA and the player not sorting the music as it should, have given up trying to make it look nice using Media monkey and other and now just use the folders instead, a pity for such a capable player otherwise...feels that Iriver have given up on AK100 and AK120 and now only concentrates their support on the new AK240......

Thinking of upgrading my SE530 So which UIEMs would be most suitable for AK120.........SE846 or Roxanne or which others...have gone thru the threads but cannot find any conclusion of which UIEM is superior for the AK120?

May 4, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #5,782 of 7,071
  Just got my 2x 128GB cards, fantastic, I have now 280GB of HD music on the go...however as mentioned playlist and tags does not work properly, have issues with album art, not recognizing albums, and in the artist folder I have 200+ songs which sort as different artists....PITA and the player not sorting the music as it should, have given up trying to make it look nice using Media monkey and other and now just use the folders instead, a pity for such a capable player otherwise...feels that Iriver have given up on AK100 and AK120 and now only concentrates their support on the new AK240......

Thinking of upgrading my SE530 So which UIEMs would be most suitable for AK120.........SE846 or Roxanne or which others...have gone thru the threads but cannot find any conclusion of which UIEM is superior for the AK120?

With regards to tagging, have you tried using Mp3tag? I have encountered no issues with tags (Album, Artist etc.) on my AK120 through Mp3tag, though I have all album art removed due to personal preference.

As for recommended UIEMs, I believe that there is no one IEM more `superior' than another past a certain price point, as at that point, the capabilities (detail, clarity etc.) are around the same, just different offering of sound signature, comfort, fit etc.

May 4, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #5,783 of 7,071
Yep, what SenG said. I have about 3000 tracks on my Ak120 and using MP3tag, everything is tagged perfectly including full cover art. The only exception is my SACD ripped dsf files, whose cover art is not supported on the device.

May 4, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #5,784 of 7,071

The answer to which IEM universal or custom is best for the AK120 is not possible to answer. People can say that for themselves, a particular one has the best synergy and produces the best SQ. However their preference is based on what type of sound they like.

I think certain IEMs can be eliminated because of impedance or some other tech spec but they are few compared to TOTLs available.

A good idea is to decide whether you want a Custom or not before you start gathering info on specific IEMs.

May 4, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #5,785 of 7,071
I Would be looking at UIEM as I do not have the possibility to get customs in my part of the world...

May 4, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #5,786 of 7,071
MP3Tag, many thanks, will check it out......

May 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #5,788 of 7,071
Did not previously check it out due to the name....get a rash just thinking about MP3.....
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #5,789 of 7,071
Yep, what SenG said. I have about 3000 tracks on my Ak120 and using MP3tag, everything is tagged perfectly including full cover art. The only exception is my SACD ripped dsf files, whose cover art is not supported on the device.

Hey Crafty, just double checking that the only way to rip a SACD into individual tracks is still to have a specific model of a PS3?

I have a few SACD rips but cannot split them into songs.

May 4, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #5,790 of 7,071
  Hey Crafty, just double checking that the only way to rip a SACD into individual tracks is still to have a specific model of a PS3?

I have a few SACD rips but cannot split them into songs.

You have the ISOs already, is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back