The Astell & Kern AK120
Jan 10, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #5,011 of 7,071
  It was so good that having the mod done on the 120 was a no brain-er. You cannot realize how good the RWAK120S is until you plug it into a desk top rig, with the exception of the TU-05, and that is transportable, I do not feel there is any portable amp that can fully realize the RWAK120-S true potential. For me it slogs it out with $1.5K+ Dacs.

I tried to look up on the RWAK120-S mod and got a little confused. I can understand the B-mod which changes the stereo jack into a true line-out and adds a balanced-out on the volume dial side. But what exactly is the difference between these 2 parts of the S-mod:

1. Hardwiring the stereo line-out signal to the 3.5mm (1/8”) stereo output jack (formerly the headphone output jack), hence completely bypassing the headphone output stage
  2. Removing the unused digital volume control wheel and installing a higher quality 3.5mm (1/8") stereo line-out jack that is hard-wired to the line-out signal.

So the S-mod will end up with 2x 3.5mm (1/8") line-out? Why does it need 2 of these which are the same thing? Or I misunderstood this?

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #5,012 of 7,071

I tried to look up on the RWAK120-S mod and got a little confused. I can understand the B-mod which changes the stereo jack into a true line-out and adds a balanced-out on the volume dial side. But what exactly is the difference between these 2 parts of the S-mod:

1. Hardwiring the stereo line-out signal to the 3.5mm (1/8”) stereo output jack (formerly the headphone output jack), hence completely bypassing the headphone output stage
  2. Removing the unused digital volume control wheel and installing a higher quality 3.5mm (1/8") stereo line-out jack that is hard-wired to the line-out signal.

So the S-mod will end up with 2x 3.5mm (1/8") line-out? Why does it need 2 of these which are the same thing? Or I misunderstood this?

They are same but better quality connector, some claim that it sound better.

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #5,014 of 7,071
I am not sure if this is old news, in which case I apologise, but I recently picked up a Samsung 128gb micro sd for little more than a 64gb card.  It works perfectly with the AK120 so now I have potentially 384gb storage.  How many days music is that?

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #5,016 of 7,071
  I am not sure if this is old news, in which case I apologise, but I recently picked up a Samsung 128gb micro sd for little more than a 64gb card.  It works perfectly with the AK120 so now I have potentially 384gb storage.  How many days music is that?

There is no micro sd 128 gb card to my knowledge.

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #5,018 of 7,071

Can you show us all a picture? Where did you get it?

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #5,019 of 7,071
Not much point in a picture - it looks just like any micro card, but in this case worse for the lettering has worn off.  I bought it from eBay.co.uk for £51, which, even if it was used, seemed a bit of a bargain.  System Information shows 124.97gb, and it works.

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #5,023 of 7,071
Not much point in a picture - it looks just like any micro card, but in this case worse for the lettering has worn off.  I bought it from eBay.co.uk for £51, which, even if it was used, seemed a bit of a bargain.  System Information shows 124.97gb, and it works.

Which make is it? Up till yesterday I was under impression no company in the world had released these.....I and several (hundred) headfiers would be over them like a rash :)

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #5,024 of 7,071
Well I can't believe that one - I am surprised that they allow it on the site!  Mine was obviously used and I took the chance and it is full capacity.  Whether it lasts is quite another matter, but I don't foresee any real problem.  Once it is in the AK120 I won't take it out and that will reduce the chance of physical damage.  The important thing is that such a card really exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back