The Astell & Kern AK120
Dec 17, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #4,758 of 7,071
Thank you very much again for your valuable advice. I understand that, as well as headphones, you can not have the perfect amp for everything.

Given your extensive knowledge of the AK120, I wanted to ask your advice on headphones to use with this player without amplifier.

I'm interested in a universal IEMs (which isolates and that I can use on public transport). But also a portable headphones (quite small so you can easily carry in my bag), also open, to use, for example, in the hotel. On AK120 almost exclusively listening to HD music and lossless files from a CD. I listen to mostly jazz and classical music (symphonic).
I have seen that you have in your equipment the Earsonic S-EM6. How to work with AK120? And the Beyerdynamic DT1350?

Thank you in advance for your kindness and patience!

Personally, i love the sound nature presentation of cans than iems. I have some flagship universal iems, but still i prefer on-ear cans presentation based on my personal taste. By saying this, it does not mean my tg334 / parterre is worse than let say dt1350. Technically, i feel those iems is very good or perhaps better, it just that i more prefer on/over-ear presentation , which can satisfy me more.

ES S-EM6 is good. But imo, you need special taste and get use to it to enjoy it more. To me, the signature is too creamy for my taste. It is too smooth and thick sounding iem. Detail is good. Mids is very lush. But i feel like loosing all the excitement when using this iem. But if you were a pure vocal lover, then u might like it. Between s-em6 with tg334, i would prefer tg334 with ak120 (non amped). However thou, you might want to check a much cheaper iem like um3xrc. This iem, everytime i listen through my ak120, i feel like they have a very nice synergy together. The sound is VERY nice. I compared some other iems using ak120, but i think this um3xrc could be my fav to go direct from my ak120 (flac 24bit files). For on-ear phones, from what i have, i would suggest dt1350. And if you want a warmer sound, lusher mids, thicker sound presentation, and better fitting than dt1350, you might want to try beyer t51p , but less just a bit clarity to dt1350. Momentum also nice. But personally i love signature of dt1350, it has a sense of more analog presentation than momentum. And if sound to be the only thing i should concern, i will choose dt1350 over tg334/um3xrc, through my ak120. But maybe it just me , bcoz i prefer cans than iem.

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #4,760 of 7,071
Personally, i love the sound nature presentation of cans than iems. I have some flagship universal iems, but still i prefer on-ear cans presentation based on my personal taste. By saying this, it does not mean my tg334 / parterre is worse than let say dt1350. Technically, i feel those iems is very good or perhaps better, it just that i more prefer on/over-ear presentation , which can satisfy me more.

ES S-EM6 is good. But imo, you need special taste and get use to it to enjoy it more. To me, the signature is too creamy for my taste. It is too smooth and thick sounding iem. Detail is good. Mids is very lush. But i feel like loosing all the excitement when using this iem. But if you were a pure vocal lover, then u might like it. Between s-em6 with tg334, i would prefer tg334 with ak120 (non amped). However thou, you might want to check a much cheaper iem like um3xrc. This iem, everytime i listen through my ak120, i feel like they have a very nice synergy together. The sound is VERY nice. I compared some other iems using ak120, but i think this um3xrc could be my fav to go direct from my ak120 (flac 24bit files). For on-ear phones, from what i have, i would suggest dt1350. And if you want a warmer sound, lusher mids, thicker sound presentation, and better fitting than dt1350, you might want to try beyer t51p , but less just a bit clarity to dt1350. Momentum also nice. But personally i love signature of dt1350, it has a sense of more analog presentation than momentum. And if sound to be the only thing i should concern, i will choose dt1350 over tg334/um3xrc, through my ak120. But maybe it just me , bcoz i prefer cans than iem.

I admit that I also have always found more natural listen to with headphones rather than with IEMs. But I always thought depended on the quality not high of my IEMS: E3c Shure, Etymotic ER-6i, Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro, Philips Fidelio S2, Etymotic ER-4PT / S.
I'm very interested in the Beyerdynamic DT1350: from what you tell me, I think it has a sound that I like. It also has the comfortable size for transport in my bag while traveling to work.
From what I understand, the DT1350 is fine with the AK120 alone. With the amplifiers that we talked about earlier (Vorzüge Pure Alo II and The International), I would have any improvement of some parameters listening?

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #4,761 of 7,071
Yes. Indeed, Nikit. One thing i love about DT1350 it scales pretty well with amplification. When correctly amped, you wont realised that this is on-ear but rather it fully sounded like a full size. With both amp, pure2, and International, they will sound nice. They can easily match with any amp actually. At the moment, i love to use my dt1350 with just The Theorem 720 alone.

- Yono

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #4,764 of 7,071
hey guy, mind to share your EQ setting?

I tend to use the PRO EQ, not sure what it does but sounds better to my ears even if it's just a volume boost (althoug I'm sure I can detect greater dimensionality with regrads to soundstage with it on). I think any Manual EQ setting is going to be highly dependant on your headphones?

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #4,765 of 7,071
Yeah I know , I'm using pro EQ as well. It sound the same with EQ off on v1.37. Just hope to see there are something better.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #4,766 of 7,071
I also keep it flat. I did some testing with the Pro EQ and I think gives a kind of filter Loudness, because the effect seems most evident at low volume.
In fact it would be interesting to have presets for different types of headphones. We should ask Dale Thorn, who is a real expert in this!

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #4,767 of 7,071
how easy or difficult is it to transfer music from my computer to the AK120 and how easy is it to navigate on the player itself?

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #4,768 of 7,071
  how easy or difficult is it to transfer music from my computer to the AK120 and how easy is it to navigate on the player itself?

Copy and paste or drag and drop, can't get simplier than that.  UI wise it is very easy, specially with the 1.37 firmware update.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #4,769 of 7,071
As you said DrSheep, you can do copy and paste or drag and drop; and this works on both PC and Mac.
This is possible either directly on AK120 via USB cable, or on the microSD before inserting them into the player. For navigation, the recognition of authors and albums depends on the accuracy of the tags. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #4,770 of 7,071
I have a bit of an issue, I'm wondering if any of you have any insight to offer.

I left my AK120 in my hotel in Bali and when I went to get it returned by me, the hotel said that Fedex and DHL both refuse to ship any item with a battery in it (apparently this is an Indonesia-specific thing).

1) Anyone from Indonesia? If so, any idea how to get this shipped out? I live in Switzerland...

2) If no answers on (1), does anyone have any idea whether or not it is difficult to get the battery out? (and then what to do to replace it upon arrival...)

Thanks in advance. Really depressing situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back