The Astell & Kern AK120
Nov 29, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #4,591 of 7,071

I don't see any. All I see are audio CDs. Audio CDs are 16 bit, 44.1kHz.

Amazon.com 32bit Hi fidelity CD selection

Eighty CD's... high Definition... seriously though, you're better off investing in a turntable and amp if you're really into music. Vinyl is only slightly more than standard CD's and you have just about every title to choose from, no limits there, record it at 32bit float and you're set.

Analogue trumps digital all the way. Is what those expensive DAC's are trying to reproduce .lol.

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #4,592 of 7,071
  It is, no EQ and will measure flat. The device is just revealing enough to hear the inline buffers or circuitry. 

Hi goodvibes, what do you mean exactly? 

Just to reiterate: I seem to recall on 1.33 that no EQ and EQ set to flat, there is basically no difference in sound. But on 1.37 no EQ and EQ set to flat sounds totally different, no EQ sounds slightly boosted in low and high frequencies; switching to Pro EQ makes it sound even more boosted of course.   

Thanks. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #4,594 of 7,071

Amazon.com 32bit Hi fidelity CD selection

Eighty CD's... high Definition... seriously though, you're better off investing in a turntable and amp if you're really into music. Vinyl is only slightly more than standard CD's and you have just about every title to choose from, no limits there, record it at 32bit float and you're set.

Analogue trumps digital all the way. Is what those expensive DAC's are trying to reproduce .lol.

My understanding is that the music on those CDs was originaly recorded in 32bit but they had to downgrade it to 16bit in order to be playable on a CD player. So now you have 16bit, not 32bit, am I correct?. As for vinyl, you are absolutely right. I used to own an Oracle Delphi MKIII turntable with SME tonearm and about 1100 LPs. The sound was just amazing but couldn't get over the background noise, tics and pops vinyl is producing. Not counting brushing, removing static electricity, etc every time I wanted to listen to a record. I sold everything a few years ago.

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #4,596 of 7,071

My understanding is that the music on those CDs was originaly recorded in 32bit but they had to downgrade it to 16bit in order to be playable on a CD player. So now you have 16bit, not 32bit, am I correct?. As for vinyl, you are absolutely right. I used to own an Oracle Delphi MKIII turntable with SME tonearm and about 1100 LPs. The sound was just amazing but couldn't get over the background noise, tics and pops vinyl is producing. Not counting brushing, removing static electricity, etc every time I wanted to listen to a record. I sold everything a few years ago.

That's correct and you can't go back. To take it a step further, it doesn't even say they are 32 bit recordings but 32 bit mastered. 32 bit and now 64 bit mastering is common for 24 bit files to maintain bit integrity when rendered back to 24 bit or DSD etc. Can be done on a laptop. It was recorded in 2006/7 so the original ADC used was likely 24 bit. In fact, in 2007, I personally feel that ADCs worked better at 96 than 192. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #4,597 of 7,071

Yeah, right there... recording mine and playing them on the 120 I've had to leave out a few albums as the noise was just too distracting, my Shuggie Otis album is a no go thinking about buying another to get a clean pressing, Jimmy Hendrix used some weird studio techniques on some of his albums, Bold as Love is an all analogue pressing and I can't seem to capture the vocals as soon as it hits digital something goes wrong really odd that I can capture it with a standard recorder using line in but not audacity or a pc... baffled by that one... just used declick and denoise on an album now trying to see if there's a loss in audio quality, some reggae wasn't/isn't recorded well, declick/denoise do batch files but I'd rather not use them at all...  surprised at those CD's if that were true, they're supposed to be HD like SACD's they would bit float so 32b would play on anything lesser than 32. ... a high end CD player would then play out at that bit rate

Farside Music (a favorite) WowHD

Got to watch for DRM but they should play on any CD player/

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #4,598 of 7,071
Standard PCs just aren't that good at this. OK for mixing/mastering existing files. I don't tend to like USB ADC/DAC anything for best results but records can still sound VG this way. It's still about having the music.
bigsmile_face.gif
 We have certain LPs that clearly outperform the HiDef downloads. Has to do with ADC used, tape machine, tape condition (if original or dub) and mastering. A correct tape dub should always be better but you'd be surprised how many aren't when recording vinyl on great kit. You'll also find that vinyl pressings vary quite a bit so good, clean, original pressings sourced from country or origin is the way to go if possible.

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #4,599 of 7,071
I have been searching but can find no 32bit downloads for sale. The highest resolution I have seen is DXD on the excellent archival HDTT website. ( I highly recommend their stuff, just beautifully transcripted from vinyl or two or four track tape, so much atmosphere in their recordings I find. You should try some of their vinyl transfers, so quiet!)

http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/category.php?cat=336

I wonder if the AK120 will be able to play that if it had a firmware update.

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #4,601 of 7,071
Thanks goodvibes. I might pose the question to AK direct and see if it would be possible. Allowing 32 bit though suggest there must be some music available in that format, blowed if I can find it though!

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #4,603 of 7,071

Users who are viewing this thread

Back