The Astell & Kern AK120
Nov 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #4,486 of 7,071
Hi Guys, just ordered an AK120. Re the Micro SD cards, do you guys notice improved performance with the 'Extreme' Sandisk over the 'Ultra' in the AK 120? thanks.

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #4,487 of 7,071
lee730, I will re-read your earlier post and come back with a question or two after my holiday travels (with my trusty old CLAS/Mark III rig to keep me in touch with the music). I am very ready to upgrade to Astell & Kern to get the full benefits of the latest DAC technology, 24 bit playback and true desktop-quality sound as you indicate. Sounds pretty aweseome! I will get back to this thread next week. Enjoy Thanksgiving!

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #4,488 of 7,071
Nov 27, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #4,493 of 7,071

[New firmware] AK120 V1.37

http://www.iriver.com/support/download_view.asp?dNum=1086
[Newly added function]
1. Comfortable USB mode
   : USB mode can be changed when the AK120 is connected to PC via USB cable.
     USB DAC <-> Removable disk, Charge battery <-> USB DAC or Removable disk (Settings - USB mode)
2. Folder playback
   : On the top of each folder, ''Play all'' key is added, which enables to play all songs and songs
   in sub folders in the selected folder.
3. 32bit wav (stereo) file supported

[Improvement]
1. Enable to power off at charge & play mode – (Also applied for auto power off and sleep off)
2. Enable to choose home themes (Basic 1 type + Black, Silver and Redwine)
   (Settings - Advanced - Home Screen Theme)
3. DSF files are shown in MQS menu.

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #4,495 of 7,071
  PLS for heavens sake instead of putting an OPTICAL IN , instead put an actual LO

No one wants to hear about that .lol.

Glad Red Wine are around, will smack their new DAP in its larger touch screen face.

... of course, can bet they've taken a look at Red Wines work too, they might have ideas around that or worse still they might think of ways to prevent the next generation from being modded.

All this talk about LO and RW smacking AK. RW uses the amp out stage as their LO. No different than turning it up on the stock unit other than the ability to also turn it down. It's great for the job and RW hasn't reinvented the wheel, I'm sure they'll tell you that. If AK switches to another DAC in an up model, it won't be the WM8741. RW uses it because it's what will easily work for those willing to accept the other limitations of play time and need of an additional amp for a bit more performance. I can appreciate what RW is doing for those that want that extra little bit and are willing to tote an amp but they're not making their own DAP. Enthusiasm is great but not when it puts the cart before the horse.

Just because some like the RW improvement doesn't make the stock AK120 any worse. It's making a silk purse into a gilded silk purse.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #4,496 of 7,071

All this talk about LO and RW smacking AK. RW uses the amp out stage as their LO. No different than turning it up on the stock unit other than the ability to also turn it down. It's great for the job and RW hasn't reinvented the wheel, I'm sure they'll tell you that. If AK switches to another DAC in an up model, it won't be the WM8741. RW uses it because it's what will easily work for those willing to accept the other limitations of play time and need of an additional amp for a bit more performance. I can appreciate what RW is doing for those that want that extra little bit and are willing to tote an amp but they're not making their own DAP. Enthusiasm is great but not when it puts the cart before the horse.

Just because some like the RW improvement doesn't make the stock AK120 any worse. It's making a silk purse into a gilded silk purse.

Not an accurate comparison, if the new guilded purse had an extra more secure opening for you to use and offered a balanced weight distribution while in the hand then it work... or something :-/

The mod offers a balanced output from dual channels distributing a signal from an improved pair of DACs. It tops the 120 with grace and ease and would likely give any new device iriver have in the works a run for its money also.

Basically, if I were to offer you a RW modded 120 with an RSA 71b and a Pico slim for portable use... would you take it? How much more would you use it over the stock 120 you own now?

Could you listen to it and carry on with the stock 120 afterwards?

I doubt it friend... I doubt it
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #4,497 of 7,071
.... will you consider changing your name to, "reasonablygoodvibes" knowing that your portable source can be bettered for a fair(ish) price? 

This is balanced from source we're talking here don't forget, no splitting of hairs... the cost is reflected in attempting to achive the same with an addition to a stack.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #4,498 of 7,071
Just updated to 1.37, will see how it sounds, still no album art on .dsf files though

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #4,499 of 7,071
Well, I will be interested in what others think but right out of the player with my FAD Heaven S's I have to say this is a significant improvement in sound quality to my ears!
Listening to Shiela Jordan on CD is like listening to her in high resolution. There is even more refinement of the sound now to my ears, more ease and natural presentation.

I hear no grain in the treble, just sweet extended high notes, just beautiful, I can't stop listening to her voice, however, I am and going on to the new stereo 24/192 mix of Kind Of Blue.
This is an incredible version, just sublime and I was really impressed with it on 1.33 now on 1.37? Crickey! It's even more refined, I go deeper into the mix but more important is that this version of firmware comes as close as I have come with digital in a portable format to the relaxed, stress free delivery that vinyl gives me. No glare, no edge or unease just such a natural presentation I feel.. That is the description, natural, your just drawn in even more now to the music, forget the HIFi, it's music even more now and that is saying something as I was loving the sound of 1.33.

Oh, and initially you may think the top end is rolled off, it's not, there is just as much there as before, it's just that it is sweeter and more refined, Wow!

I will be really interested as to what others think but this is like having a hard wear upgrade to my ears, not simply a firmware one.

Nov 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #4,500 of 7,071

[New firmware] AK120 V1.37

http://www.iriver.com/support/download_view.asp?dNum=1086
[Newly added function]
1. Comfortable USB mode
   : USB mode can be changed when the AK120 is connected to PC via USB cable.
     USB DAC <-> Removable disk, Charge battery <-> USB DAC or Removable disk (Settings - USB mode)
2. Folder playback
   : On the top of each folder, ''Play all'' key is added, which enables to play all songs and songs
   in sub folders in the selected folder.
3. 32bit wav (stereo) file supported

[Improvement]
1. Enable to power off at charge & play mode – (Also applied for auto power off and sleep off)
2. Enable to choose home themes (Basic 1 type + Black, Silver and Redwine)
   (Settings - Advanced - Home Screen Theme)
3. DSF files are shown in MQS menu.

Please keep the impressions coming I have 8 hours before the plane tonight to update or not.. Thank you Ian for being the first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back