The Astell & Kern AK120
Mar 4, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #5,492 of 7,071

No.....it's the thing in the center with 5 holes in it that controls the hands.

Does that one not have ears? I thought we were at 7...

9 if we want to go blue.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #5,494 of 7,071
Eyes are the windows to the soul....

...and they were once good for dropping LSD, but that's another story.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #5,495 of 7,071
  Eyes are the windows to the soul....

...and they were once good for dropping LSD, but that's another story.

Agreed, but they're not 'holes' or you couldn't see out...
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #5,497 of 7,071
Hi,

I noticed, most of you connect the amp directly to the PHONE OUT port of AK120 or AK100.

I have paid attention to those pictures, in which, the volume controls are still there, which means they are NOT MOD ones from RWA.

So I am wondering why it is so common people connect amp directly to the PO of AKs, especially if you browse in ALO Audio's Gallery, they connect their MK3 directly to the PO...which IMO, is hard to understand...

I would appreciate if somebody could answer this since I am interested in AK120 and I wish it could have both PO and LO port.

Henry

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #5,498 of 7,071
  Too bad I was thinking of getting the SE846's for my AK 120 maybe have to look else were. My et4P's sound very good with my AK120  maybe just stick with them.

Don't take my word for it - others seem to like the AK120-SE864 together. It just doesn't sound good to my ears (just the bass, actually).

Now, if only I was capable of sticking with an audio setup. I may well live in a nicer home.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #5,499 of 7,071

Don't take my word for it - others seem to like the AK120-SE864 together. It just doesn't sound good to my ears (just the bass, actually).

Now, if only I was capable of sticking with an audio setup. I may well live in a nicer home.

Actually the 846 did not work for my RWAK120 + Duet in comparison with the TH900... so my opinion is also biased...

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #5,500 of 7,071
  I am talking about putting a resister in line with the headphones which would effectively increase the resistance of the headphones it would not not increase the output resistance of the AK100 or 120 that would remain 20 for the 100 and 3 ohms for the 120 you would have to modify the AK's to change their output resistance.  if you put external resistance outside of the AK it effectively raises the resistance of the phones and does nothing to the output resistance of the AK's

Absolutely wrong. You've lowere d the damping factor instead of raising it as you would with a lower source impedance. You are erroneously speculating on known electrical circuits. Think about your example for a moment as proof to your misunderstanding. The way RWA 'fix' the the AK100 is by removing the series resistor between the amp stage and earphone. Exactly the opposite of your conjecture.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #5,501 of 7,071
  Absolutely wrong. You've lowed the damping factor instead of raising it as you would with a lower source impedance. You are erroneously speculating on known electrical circuits. Think about your example for a moment as proof to your misunderstanding. The way RWA 'fix' the the AK100 is by removing the series resistor between the amp stage and earphone. Exactly the opposite of your conjecture.

What are you an electrical engineer or something. This exactly what etymotic does with the s adaptor cable they sell to change their ER4p To an S the add 75 ohms resistance to what the output of the amp sees.
here is what I am talking about
Higher electrical damping of the loudspeaker is not necessarily better. Some loudspeakers sound better with lower electrical damping.[citation needed] A lower damping factor helps to greatly enhance the bass response of the loudspeaker, which is useful if only a single amplifier is used for the entire audio range. This might increase the bass in the shure SE846 most of this applies to dynamic drivers so not sure it would affect any of the BA drivers in the shure. Look I,m not looking to get into any argument with you just offering a little advice to someone as an alliterative to try short of taking a big hit selling the 846 without trying a couple of other options so I'm done with you and am going to block you from my feed.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #5,502 of 7,071
You're mixing metaphors. Please stop. Damping factor isn't always beneficial but is when you want and IEM to sound as designed. Your new example also contradicts your statement. 4p vs 4s below.

The impedance adapter is there to extend highs and use the rising headphone impedance in that range to accomplish it.

a simplistic way view this is that it effectively lowers the efficiency more below 1khz than above due to the IEMs natural rising impedance curve.

Wrote definitions mean nothing without proper application and being rude won't change the facts. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #5,504 of 7,071
Dear All,

Different point of views, and arguments backed up with facts is very good for us (at least for me) to better understand abstract (for me ) concepts such as the ones you were describing. So, on the bright side, I enjoyed the different positions and opposite arguments. No need to take it personal. Just support your position with evidence for the benefit of all.

Regards,  

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #5,505 of 7,071
  Dear All,

Different point of views, and arguments backed up with facts is very good for us (at least for me) to better understand abstract (for me ) concepts such as the ones you were describing. So, on the bright side, I enjoyed the different positions and opposite arguments. No need to take it personal. Just support your position with evidence for the benefit of all.

Regards,  

thank you 
turns out I was wrong I asked Tyll at inner fidelity and he said it would increase output impedance I believe the other party in this discussion could have used his attempt to educate me in another way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back