The Astell & Kern AK120
Feb 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #5,446 of 7,071
  VBR is the problem. That was a quick fix! Thanks a lot.

I am using a Mac. First it was iTunes and that didn't work well. I downloaded Tagger, it got a few of the errors, but many are still missing the covers. I'll get my hands on a PC and try out mp3tag.

Many thanks CraftyClown.

No problem. If you have any in particular you are struggling with, feel free to link to, or email a track over and I can test it at my end and see if I can get it to work.

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #5,447 of 7,071
  This will be my first and last AK device, but I need to get it at least half working because it cost too much. 

My thoughts exactly on my original AK100
tongue.gif

I know it's not the AK120 but they share many similarities, so:
- Good news about the 128GB cards, very likely they'll work in the AK100 too
- Didn't know yet about the VBR gapless issue, good to know though I have few tracks like that
- On Mac OS X a tagging alternative you could try is Kid3 (http://kid3.sourceforge.net/)
The 500px limit is more a safe margin, it's true that larger ones work occasionally, but it also may be tied to the filesize or format. I just wish iRiver would issue a clear format guide if their firmware is incapable of handling covers that work everywhere else...
- Re: USB DAC function & OS X 10.9.2 USB changes: just tried on my 2013 MBA, still no go (again, might be different for the AK120 but I strongly doubt it)

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #5,449 of 7,071
Have brand new AK120 and can't seem to get any charge into it. Remains dark with no indication on screen or anywhere that the charge is taking. When I unplug the AK120 and hit/hold the power button nothing happens. Had it plugged in overnight. Is this unit defective? What can I try? Sorry 384 pages is a bit much. Hopping some Samaritan who's expert on this device will be kind enough to point me to any relevant discussions. I've tried various searches in these forums without finding anything on point.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #5,450 of 7,071
It certainly sounds like you got a defective unit

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #5,451 of 7,071
Have brand new AK120 and can't seem to get any charge into it. Remains dark with no indication on screen or anywhere that the charge is taking. When I unplug the AK120 and hit/hold the power button nothing happens. Had it plugged in overnight. Is this unit defective? What can I try? Sorry 384 pages is a bit much. Hopping some Samaritan who's expert on this device will be kind enough to point me to any relevant discussions. I've tried various searches in these forums without finding anything on point.

Isn't that obvious that the battery isn't charging at all and your unit is dead? Does your unit feel warm after leaving it charging overnight? If there is some kind of charging going on to the battery, most devices will feel a little bit warm to touch.

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #5,453 of 7,071
Have brand new AK120 and can't seem to get any charge into it.

Isn't that obvious that the battery isn't charging at all and your unit is dead?

It most likely is dead. Bummer.

I had read that some users had found that there are quirks about charging and powering on with the USB plugged/unplugged.

When any AK120 is plugged up to USB power the screen lights up especially if you press the power button on the top. If it doesn't check your USB line to make sure it's actually juicing, not just reading data.  If it isn't providing voltage (5V) it won't be recognized by the AK.

Is the USB Cable bad? Try another one if possible. Make sure you at least try the AK USB Cable that came with your 120...not all USB Cables are wired the same! 

If the screen never lights up under 'good' USB power, you have a "Call Service" problem...
frown.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #5,454 of 7,071
Burtomr

Thank for confirming that the screen lights up when plugged in. That's never occurred so the AK USB cable is bad or the unit is bad. When you mention that other USB cables are wired different, is the DC current always on the same plug/pin locations? If not, am guessing I should not try other micro USB cables. Have used wall warts which are 100% operational (and tried several).

Guess I know where I'm headed tomorrow. Return & exchange time.

Has anyone else received a DOA AK120?

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #5,455 of 7,071
When you mention that other USB cables are wired different, is the DC current always on the same plug/pin locations? If not, am guessing I should not try other micro USB cables. Have used wall warts which are 100% operational (and tried several).

Here's the schematic for the Micro-USB plug:

The power and ground are the L & R outside pins. The wallwart I use has only the outside pins active because I blocked the inner pins with tape. It works perfect to charge my AK (and everything else with a USB connector). I would definately try another Micro-USB cable just to check if your AK cable is the problem...it won't make it any worse than it is now..
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #5,456 of 7,071

When I plug mine in using the supplied usb cable the screen lights up for about 3 seconds and says charging battery and then goes dark. when I plug it into my IMac the screen comes on and does the same. if the unit is booted up and plugged into the computer usb it asks how you wish to proceed charge battery connect as usb dec or connect as disk. It sounds to me like you have no charge in the battery and no charging taking place. A trip to the dealer sounds in order.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #5,457 of 7,071

Your USB port on your computer may not supply enough amperage. A friend of mine had this same problem and took it to iriver. Jonathan suggested using a different USB charging device like the ones that come with iPhones. Charges fine now.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #5,458 of 7,071
(I) Have used wall warts which are 100% operational (and tried several).

Your USB port on your computer may not supply enough amperage. A friend of mine had this same problem and took it to iriver. Jonathan suggested using a different USB charging device like the ones that come with iPhones. Charges fine now.

He mentioned that he had tried several different wall warts...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back