The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #3,496 of 7,071

The highlighted phrase above is sure to draw some response from Sony owners. 
wink.gif

I'm a Sony fanboy so it was hard for me to come to that conclusion. It was the second Walkman I've used recently that isn't up to my expectations. The first was the X-Series with Sony's own OS. I thought that was a better UI than Android. The F-Series has no balls when it comes to driving headphones. After this experiment, I see even more value in the AK120.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #3,499 of 7,071
Quote:

I never tested a classic via LO but did use my iphone4 (which supposedly is the best sounding ipod available). Still not on the same level personally. It's nicer though with the amp. But not worth the inconvenience personally.

Thanks!

When you say personally, does that mean that the result is arguable? I'm just trying to get a feel of how the device performs vs the devices i have in my possession. 

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #3,501 of 7,071
Quote:

Thanks!

When you say personally, does that mean that the result is arguable? I'm just trying to get a feel of how the device performs vs the devices i have in my possession. 

Personally means it is my opinion. Take it or leave it. I've compared both with the same tracks and the AK120 was still better even as a stand alone. In this case I see the iphone4 itself as the weak-point in the chain. The T1 amp is clearly superior to its amp section no doubt about it. But I remember you had issues with the T1 amp you had so I'd understand if you'd think otherwise.

The AK120 would be more so comparable with the DX100, Hifiman 901, and Tera Player. The iphone would be more so comparable with the Fuze, Clip and Cowons. Apples to Oranges really. But keep in mind my reasoning for this has nothing to do with the price. That's just inherent in this case. But the pure performance of these devices.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #3,502 of 7,071
Quote:
Personally means it is my opinion. Take it or leave it. I've compared both with the same tracks and the AK120 was still better even as a stand alone. In this case I see the iphone4 itself as the weak-point in the chain. The T1 amp is clearly superior to its amp section no doubt about it. But I remember you had issues with the T1 amp you had so I'd understand if you'd think otherwise.

The AK120 would be more so comparable with the DX100, Hifiman 901, and Tera Player. The iphone would be more so comparable with the Fuze, Clip and Cowons. Apples to Oranges really.

Ok, thanks!

The T1 was replaced, btw.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #3,505 of 7,071
Now my 120 has opened up with some burn in I am seeing more the benefits of DSD. I have just taken advantage of 2L and A&K' 50% discount offer and am as I type downloading my second DSD album, this time Vivaldi so a nice late evening listening to this beautiful music is in store!

Also, tried my JVC FX500's and they sound great if a little too much bass for my taste . So far its the Heaven S/ DT1350/ T5P/ PF IX's that give me the most sonic satisfaction directly out of this player. So glad I purchased it! I had one of my musician clients listen to it today and she loved the sound, especially playing her music!

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #3,507 of 7,071
Lee, I don't master myself but I work with musicians and mastering engineers on honing the mix to its final state ready for release. Hired ears I guess you could say. Been doing it for years and years. I started back in the eighties as the guy in the van selling records at gigs which was a way for me to spend time in the studio but then my mother became ill and I nursed her for eight years so it ended that but I got back into it in a small way 14 years ago and it has been a sideline that has steadily built up.

What usually happens is I get the music and listen at home first then go into the studio and give my thoughts and we work through it there. Great fun and I get to work with the real talent and they get to work with some bum off the street :D

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #3,508 of 7,071
Quote:
Lee, I don't master myself but I work with musicians and mastering engineers on honing the mix to its final state ready for release. Hired ears I guess you could say. Been doing it for years and years. I started back in the eighties as the guy in the van selling records at gigs which was a way for me to spend time in the studio but then my mother became ill and I nursed her for eight years so it ended that but I got back into it in a small way 14 years ago and it has been a sideline that has steadily built up.

What usually happens is I get the music and listen at home first then go into the studio and give my thoughts and we work through it there. Great fun and I get to work with the real talent and they get to work with some bum off the street
biggrin.gif

Wow that nice! I'd love to do work like that. Do what you love. Especially if you have a good ear for music :).

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #3,509 of 7,071
I am so fortunate. I have developed several diverse strings to my bow and each one is something that I love to do. It was not always that way but it seems to have ended up so and I am really lucky. Best thing for me is that not only do I get to work in fields I find fascinating but I also work with some really inspirational people!

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #3,510 of 7,071
Terrible picture but the best I could do late at night with the lights down low. Horace Silver, AK120, FAD PF IX = musical bliss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back