The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #812 of 2,262
Has anyone tried balanced out with ciem on the AK240?  Tried a custom cable on my UE18 today but wasn't sure what to expect.  I found the staging and depth to improve, easier to visualize.  There was no improvements in SQ as such, is that what others have found?  The cable was 8 ply woven into a flat ply, think silver & copper mix.  Looks nice but made it really flat and thick physically.  
Was hoping for cheaper and thinner, anyone have recommendations for UE18 Pro.

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #814 of 2,262
  Has anyone tried balanced out with ciem on the AK240?  Tried a custom cable on my UE18 today but wasn't sure what to expect.  I found the staging and depth to improve, easier to visualize.  There was no improvements in SQ as such, is that what others have found?  The cable was 8 ply woven into a flat ply, think silver & copper mix.  Looks nice but made it really flat and thick physically.  

I use the UERM with UE's balanced cable and it sounds wonderful!

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #816 of 2,262

I guess it depends from phones to phones. Haven't tried with CIEMs, but I previously had single ended IE800 and now I am on an AloAudio balanced set. Staging has improved for sure, but the most apparent improvement has been in the vividness of the sound, in its fullness, in its sounding more real. There's more "meat" in the sonic presentation, but at the same time an impressive refinement is retained. At least for IE800, the improvement is very noticeable and very welcome, and shows that the AK240 is almost "underused" when used in single ended mode, at least with these IEMs.

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #817 of 2,262
my 3.5mm se hole still has the plastic over it as i only do balanced.
saraguie nah but might be ok to use that way lol. i have a lanolin/silicon fiebings for motorcycle seat and works wonders.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #818 of 2,262
  Is that an official UE accessory?  Does it have 2.5mm input jack?  Where can I buy it from?

I ordered my UERM's from a show and picked up the cable at that time, so I assume you can buy them separately. 

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #819 of 2,262
hey guys,

I am about to purchase a cable for 2.5 balance

but before that can I know more about the 2.5 output performance?

as I would like to order a quite expensive cable,

Can I have more impression on the 2.5 VS 3.5?

thanks guys

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #820 of 2,262
Anyone know where I can get the new Blue tooth remote control for the A model in the UK?

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #821 of 2,262
  hey guys,

I am about to purchase a cable for 2.5 balance

but before that can I know more about the 2.5 output performance?

as I would like to order a quite expensive cable,

Can I have more impression on the 2.5 VS 3.5?

thanks guys

I just got a new UE18 cable converted to balanced 2.5mm so can't say much until it burns in.  Right now I noticed greater separation, staging and layering.  I expect clarity a d details when it burns in.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #822 of 2,262
  I just got a new UE18 cable converted to balanced 2.5mm so can't say much until it burns in.  Right now I noticed greater separation, staging and layering.  I expect clarity a d details when it burns in.

thanks for your reply,
but i think i need to think a bit more,
hope that more buddies would share their experience!
i cannot find any kind of 2.5 balanced demo here in Hong kong

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #824 of 2,262
thanks for your reply,

but i think i need to think a bit more,

hope that more buddies would share their experience!

i cannot find any kind of 2.5 balanced demo here in Hong kong

I'm running Balanced out to my Duet, then to my HD-800's. It completely opens up the HD-800, more depth, wider sound stage, just overall more revealing. I've got a pair of Noble K-10's on order, and am gonna team it up with the Double Helix Symbiote SP, terminated 2.5,and a 3.5 adapter, when I need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back