The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #16 of 2,262
I am very much looking forward to those who have heard the 240 in comparison to the 120, thanks in advance for your thoughts on any differences. I am more interested in the musicality of the player than anything else. I find to my ears the 120 a very musically emotionally involving player with neither extremes at each end of the sonic spectrum. I am hoping the 240 takes this and runs with it.

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #17 of 2,262
I am very much looking forward to those who have heard the 240 in comparison to the 120, thanks in advance for your thoughts on any differences. I am more interested in the musicality of the player than anything else. I find to my ears the 120 a very musically emotionally involving player with neither extremes at each end of the sonic spectrum. I am hoping the 240 takes this and runs with it.

Is there anything in particular you'd like me to try with the 240? Maybe I can get my more aurally sensitive audiophile friend to seek it.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #18 of 2,262
I love classical but I think my new benchmark is the stereo Kind of blue in 24/192. With my setup, especially with my TU05 I get rich and textural images. Great back, front and width soundstage and just such a great sense of how the instruments sound in real life, Thank you.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #19 of 2,262
I love classical but I think my new benchmark is the stereo Kind of blue in 24/192. With my setup, especially with my TU05 I get rich and textural images. Great back, front and width soundstage and just such a great sense of how the instruments sound in real life, Thank you.

Ah I'm just getting into that, I downloaded the DSD version as well if you're interested, I'll give it a whirl with my K10s :)

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #20 of 2,262
I actually have those two but I lent my RWAK to someone... I'll get it and see the differences.

By "those two" do you mean both regular and RWAK 120? I believe ianmedium is talking about regular 120 which is the one I have, and I also find it to be emotionally engaging as ianmedium does, especially when comparing to 100 - to put it in an analogy, 100 is like a performer who just got out from bed in the morning while 120 is someone who is fully awake, energetic and expressive. I'm extremely curious where 240 stands.

Seems like you're the only one in this thread who owns a 240 right now so lots of questions will be coming your way, thanks for the hard work. :)

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #22 of 2,262
Did anyone compared the HUGO against the AK240 ?  

I need to buy one of those 2.  ( I can't wait April for Calyx M...that will more likely be available in Europe in June/july) 

So my Choice are :

- My AK100 > Hugo  (crapy AK100 UI, but..."may be" better SQ than the AK240 alone ??)
or    
- AK240 alone (With the AK240 I will use it's balanced Out since my TH-900 is wired Balanced)

( I have TH-900 &  Roxane )

thanks

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #23 of 2,262
- How do you change file order ? Drag & drop ? :)

Yep, i'll try to post some photos of the process
smily_headphones1.gif

- Can you create dynamics playlists ?
What do you mean by dynamic?
- Can you create an "instant playlist " (Calyx call this " my mix" ) of files that you want to hear now, With options such as " play next" or " play last"

I dont think so... You can create playlists quickly though as jude showed in his UI Video

By dynamic: A playlist where you can use conditionals (like iTunes does with Smart Playlists) such as:
Genre contains "Rock"
Year is between xxxx and yyyy (play all 1990s music this way, for example)

And critically: can you copy all music to the device based upon it being in a playlist (again, like iTunes) and what playing / collection management software natively 'sees' the AK120 as a device.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #24 of 2,262
Feb 10, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #25 of 2,262
By "those two" do you mean both regular and RWAK 120? I believe ianmedium is talking about regular 120 which is the one I have, and I also find it to be emotionally engaging as ianmedium does, especially when comparing to 100 - to put it in an analogy, 100 is like a performer who just got out from bed in the morning while 120 is someone who is fully awake, energetic and expressive. I'm extremely curious where 240 stands.

Seems like you're the only one in this thread who owns a 240 right now so lots of questions will be coming your way, thanks for the hard work. :)

I really like that analogy, that is exactly what i mean, thanks.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #26 of 2,262
Hi VZ. Can you tell me the impression of the AK240 + MH335DW/ToGo334, and can you explain to me about the DSD thing because I usually use FLAC and WAV file to play with my AK100

Thanks

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #27 of 2,262
  Hi VZ. Can you tell me the impression of the AK240 + MH335DW/ToGo334, and can you explain to me about the DSD thing because I usually use FLAC and WAV file to play with my AK100

Thanks

I'll get on that once my review of the K10 is done :)

DSD is a higher quality file, usually what is in a SACD. instead of our lovely 192khz it is rated at around 2.8 mhz therefore making it much more accurate and cleaner in sound. File sizes are HUGE though.

That's the short explanation, I can't elaborate more but other people can.

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #28 of 2,262

I'll get on that once my review of the K10 is done :)

DSD is a higher quality file, usually what is in a SACD. instead of our lovely 192khz it is rated at around 2.8 mhz therefore making it much more accurate and cleaner in sound. File sizes are HUGE though.

That's the short explanation, I can't elaborate more but other people can.

Soooo, I can't get the DSD file when I have a regular CD right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back