The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Mar 12, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #2,389 of 3,220

thanks guys!=)

@qusp

so far no noise.

@expatinjapan

I'm located in the philippines sir and currently offering the service to some of my headfi friends on out local community site =)

0.47uf NX BG to be added to the existing 47uf NX BG:

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #2,390 of 3,220
would be someone so kind that he post some pics of opened imod lod? i need to know how and where to solder those caps. And other things are the same as when doing ipod lod?

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #2,391 of 3,220
You haven't looked at page 25, have you? :wink:

Just note that that was probably not a standard mod, and it used different pin #s but as you can see, small caps fit snug in there :)

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #2,392 of 3,220
no i havn´t :) thanks for a clear pic. And which pins are the best option for soldering in case not having enough space for caps?

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #2,393 of 3,220
Well, if you do the standard mod by removing/bridging the internal caps, then the relevant pins are the normal R/L ones (3/4 respectively). If you're doing any other mod, you'll have to think about what suits you according to what you do. Though since you ask, I recommend sticking to the standard which is well documented and spoken about here and will have the best outcome anyway :) 

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #2,394 of 3,220
Ridiculously nice work! Out of curiosity, how much are you charging local buddies to do this?   I'd love to send you an ipod video and $$ to have something like this done. :p

Quote:
Hi guys just want to share my DIY imod on a 5th gen 60gig ipod video.

used @ 47uf non polar BG NX

used a teflon insulated silver wires fastened by high temp tapes. The hardest part is routing the wires through this small area.

the caps are inside the case so that i can use any LOD.

added some CF sticker to the faceplate since i got it used with minor scratches in front.

So far i'm very happy with the SQ 
L3000.gif

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #2,395 of 3,220
Just wanted to say hi to everyone!! Man this thread has really got big! I was one of the original posters with Jon and now this is huge!!! Great work guys, I like to see how far you have come!

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #2,397 of 3,220

Quote:

thanks guys!=)

@qusp

so far no noise.

@expatinjapan

I'm located in the philippines sir and currently offering the service to some of my headfi friends on out local community site =)

0.47uf NX BG to be added to the existing 47uf NX BG:

hmmm, errm.... why? bypassing an electrolytic with another smaller electrolytic of the same exact type, will do nothing at all except increase the total capacitance by 0.47uf and 47uf is already more than is needed to cover the bandwidth the ipod can produce and human ear can hear. adding small film caps in parallel instead, which are more linear, have better audio properties and lower impedance at higher frequency will improve the sound in the mid/highs, but what you propose above is puzzling.

good to hear you didnt get any blitter noise, it doesnt seem to be as much of a problem with the ipod video, but i had issues with the photo when doing something similar

also regarding the routing from the caps to output, a tip, just use a small diamond dust file to file that channel in the frame deeper and allow more room, but make sure to sand it afterwards to take the sharp edges off or you could damage the insulation and cause a short if the wire gets pinched

Mar 22, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #2,398 of 3,220
Just wondering how to attach the resistor in??
I find some post for DIY IMOD but they just basically solder the cables in and thats it, didnt really mention for to put the resistor in..

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #2,399 of 3,220

thats because they really arent needed, you are only increasing the output impedance. they are only there to buffer the output from cable capacitance and possible short circuits on the output, not a problem with short interconnects to connect to a portable amp. you bypass an inductor too, but you dont see anyone putting in an upgraded inductor, although this would arguably be of more use than the resistor in filtering out noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back