The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Apr 26, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #2,177 of 3,220
you still havent said what headphones you are driving with it?? it does sound to me as if you are dealing with a number of issues and not just one, because hiss implies perhaps you are using sensitive earphones, in which case the T3 should be enough power wise, if not then something else is up with the MOD or LOD; but if you were expecting to have much more power than the ipod headphone out just because its an amp you are mistaken in the case of the t3, the LOD may not be grounded properly either, any number of things that are off topic for here and I dont really want to take it further off topic.

a hint since you seem to be a noob here, either fill out your profile or signature with at least your main gear, or when asking a question like this or making a post like your first one, telling us what headphones you are using is probably the most important thing you can do, it tells us how efficient they are, what sound sig they are and what you might like etc etc. without it your question above is impossible for me to answer. a better amp is always nice, but more power may not be what you need at all, there may be another problem entirely

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #2,178 of 3,220
My apologies. I've since filled out my profile a bit more. In my original post, I edited it a few minutes after I posted, saying that I was using triple.fi's with this setup. You might have missed it?

Your response about the LOD potentially being a problem had me interested though, so I tested out the T3 using the headphone jack, and have since found that it is perfectly fine all the way up the volume dial, so I'm thinking that there MUST be a problem with the LOD after all. I guess it's time to open it up and take a squidge at the lines.

Edit 1: I just tore apart the LOD cable: I don't see ANYTHING resembling a capacitor anywhere. From the looks of it, there's a 1kOhm +5% resistor, and that's it. I'm guessing this is the problem.

Edit 2: The LOD cable works fine inside a non modded ipod 5.5g and Nano. I've also opened up the diyMOD ipod, seems in order.

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #2,179 of 3,220
Oh dear!

Is there a chance there are caps in the plug on the other end of the LOD? If not you've likely done damage to your amp and/or TF10. More volume would amplify the DC offset and make any further driver movement in that direction impossible, which would sound terrible. The resistor is probably for ipod toucth (and similar) compatibility.

I'd not worry about opening the DIYmod if the signal coming out was clear at low volume, but if the seller lied about having caps in the LOD maybe he lied about the mod too? I hope not
confused.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #2,180 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My apologies. I've since filled out my profile a bit more. In my original post, I edited it a few minutes after I posted, saying that I was using triple.fi's with this setup. You might have missed it?

yeah I never saw anything about the TF10, I must've loaded or replied to the post before you had done that. nothing to apologize about, it just makes it difficult to help you

Quote:

Your response about the LOD potentially being a problem had me interested though, so I tested out the T3 using the headphone jack, and have since found that it is perfectly fine all the way up the volume dial, so I'm thinking that there MUST be a problem with the LOD after all. I guess it's time to open it up and take a squidge at the lines.

well actually thats not necessarily the case in such situations, as the HP out comes from the same dac, but if there was a problem with the mod wiring or something, this could be just bypassed by using the HP out.

but given your findings, for sure we seem to have found you issue, man I would not be impressed at all and if it was sold to you as an IMOD LOD with a modified ipod and there are no caps inside the ipod then I think you should out this person, as that could totally and may still have damaged your TF10 badly, the amp is unlikely to be damaged, but it doesnt take heaps of DC offset to kill such sensitive IEMs

Quote:

Edit 1: I just tore apart the LOD cable: I don't see ANYTHING resembling a capacitor anywhere. From the looks of it, there's a 1kOhm +5% resistor, and that's it. I'm guessing this is the problem.

Edit 2: The LOD cable works fine inside a non modded ipod 5.5g and Nano. I've also opened up the diyMOD ipod, seems in order.

have you looked in the mini? dont know what the 1k resistor is for, because a 68k resistor is needed for iphone/touch operation. this could have been a damping resistor to protect the dac when plugging and unplugging the LOD and I suppose its possible he was using an amp with input caps, or he didnt know what he was doing at all.

so I would definitely cease using that DIYMOD with any amps or headphones until you have found out more info or built yourself an LOD with caps inline

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #2,181 of 3,220
The person that built the diyMod is a very reputable member of the forum, and I'd prefer not to out him/her without understanding the full story. On my end, I literally just bid on an eBay auction for a diyMod 5.5g 80gb, which came with a LOD and the description "contains 4.7uf Elna Silmic caps".

The seller did not mod it himself, but sent away to someone on head-fi to get it modified, and got a LOD for it at the same time. From what I've seen in this thread itself, the elna caps would be incredibly hard to miss, since they're quite large. I've checked the connector, as well as the mini plug, and nothing on either end. The wire is empty, as well. I've emailed the original seller asking for an explanation, and he's emailing the modder to find out what the deal is.

Luckily, there seems to be no damage to the amp and my headphones, I've listened to my suite of test music, and there are no issues, and I'm very happy with the T3 as well, even just through the headphone jack. I never ran the amp at max volume for more than about 2-4 seconds before dialling it back to halfway, and even at that max it wasn't very loud at all (maybe 5% louder than the mid volume setting. I'd put it at about 1/4 volume on the ipod)... I think I lucked out. To be safe, are there any sure signs that there may be damage to the IEM's?

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #2,182 of 3,220
I just attempted the diyMod on my 1st gen nano. My version was a little different than the ones in the guide. I removed L7, L8, and what appeared to be C69 and C70, although they had no markings. In the guide, I read to attach the two DAC wires to the left side of L7 and L8. Mine has these two inductors vertically oriented. I used a multimeter and found the connections from L7 to C69 and L8 to C70. But with my DAC wires soldered to the top I get no line out from the dock. I don't have a LOD yet, but I've been probing around to test things.

As you can see in the picture, L7's bottom pad came off. I am still confused by this picture in the guide because it says to remove the inductors and caps, yet the wires are soldered before the inductors and caps which seems to short the path to the dock. Can anyone tell me where the DAC wires should be soldered in my picture?

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #2,183 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>To be safe, are there any sure signs that there may be damage to the IEM's?

Visual inspection of the tiny little windings might do the trick, but if you don't really hear anything, I wouldn't worry about it. The damage comes when the DC heats up the wire surrounding the driver's magnet. If you didn't put it in for too long, it probably isn't a problem. If you can't hear the difference, then likely nothing has changed. Keep in mind that you can imagine the change in sound if you psyche yourself out enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reedlaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me where the DAC wires should be soldered in my picture?

Solder anywhere you can get a solid connection to the dock pin. The C69 pads seem tiny, so look around for an identical connection. Sometimes those DZP chips have audio connections (though I still don't know what they do).

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #2,184 of 3,220
I would like to mod an ipod touch 1g (or 2g/3g if possible) as seen on http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...-415-a-424968/ I've searched high and low for any info on this but have come up totally empty and the OP is banned. Can anyone help me out?

**EDIT**

Found the actual explanation here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/app...ml#post5643577 Now to get up the courage to try this and pick out some film caps. I'm thinking about vitamin-q 96p's or russian teflon k72's cuz they're pretty cheap.

I'm not totally sure but with this mod I don't need caps in a film dock if I put input caps in the amp (pimeta v2), right?

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #2,185 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can't hear the difference, then likely nothing has changed. Keep in mind that you can imagine the change in sound if you psyche yourself out enough.

I haven't heard any negative effects, and I can definitely say that even without much burn in, I'm very impressed by the difference an amp can make. Now it has me wondering about these more expensive ones
smily_headphones1.gif

I am in contact with the original head-fi'er who did the diyMod through the eBay seller, and he has admitted a mistake was made, and that he will be rectifying it as soon as possible, which is great news!

May 18, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #2,186 of 3,220
Hi , im new here. Im getting ready to do my first diyMOD and i have a few questions...

1) i have some nichilon muse and elna caps laying around, both 6.3v 47uf, which is better?

2) how does the farad and voltage rating affect performance?would higher be better

3) can i use different caps beside electrolytic capacitors?

4) why are oil caps so much better for audio than the other

5) would connecting the caps in parallel do anything for perfomance?

6) What caps would you guys reccomend for an internal diymod and an external diymod

May 22, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #2,188 of 3,220
Quote:
Hi , im new here. Im getting ready to do my first diyMOD and i have a few questions...

1) i have some nichilon muse and elna caps laying around, both 6.3v 47uf, which is better?

2) how does the farad and voltage rating affect performance?would higher be better

3) can i use different caps beside electrolytic capacitors?

4) why are oil caps so much better for audio than the other

5) would connecting the caps in parallel do anything for perfomance?

6) What caps would you guys reccomend for an internal diymod and an external diymod

1) Depends on your taste, your entire system.
2) The "farads", rather, the capacitance affects the corner frequency of the high pass filter. Google "high pass filter."
3) Sure can.
4) I think it has something to do with the high frequency response. Electrolytics are bassy, but don't handle the highs very well. Films and oils are quicker, so it has better high response. Of course, this is all subjective and totally depends on your system and sound preferences.
5) Sure. It's a common practice around here, using a large cap, eg. electrolytic, for the low frequency response, and bypassing with a film cap for better highs. It's up to you if it's a better sound.
6) For internal, a lot of 6.3V 'lytics will work, but depending on the input impedance of your amplifier, you can use smaller caps. For external diyMods, you can use almost anything you want. The limit is your budget. There are too many to choose from.

May 26, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #2,190 of 3,220
Quote:
joneeboi said:

1) Depends on your taste, your entire system.
2) The "farads", rather, the capacitance affects the corner frequency of the high pass filter. Google "high pass filter."
3) Sure can.
4) I think it has something to do with the high frequency response. Electrolytics are bassy, but don't handle the highs very well. Films and oils are quicker, so it has better high response. Of course, this is all subjective and totally depends on your system and sound preferences.
5) Sure. It's a common practice around here, using a large cap, eg. electrolytic, for the low frequency response, and bypassing with a film cap for better highs. It's up to you if it's a better sound.
6) For internal, a lot of 6.3V 'lytics will work, but depending on the input impedance of your amplifier, you can use smaller caps. For external diyMods, you can use almost anything you want. The limit is your budget. There are too many to choose from.

Thank Youuu very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back