The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Mar 31, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #2,146 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to internalize the caps, use gueri_fr's method. No one else has come up with a method to do internal caps for the dock besides using the compact flash adapter and BlackGates.

Don't agree, caps fit inside 5G, in my case together with 120GB drive. Some people put succesfully 240GB drive inside, that is quite a storage. Caps are lytics obviously (for size matters).

If you are concerned with electrolytic caps in signal path, you can make two outputs - take signal prior to caps in attached drawing and connect it to some unused (firewire data) pins for use with external film caps. So you have signal with zero DC on standard pins 3 & 4 and signal with DC offset on other pins.

Here is 5 bucks iphone dock I'm sure you are aware of, but I can confirm it has quality pcb and connectors inside (female dock connector at the back is upside down, so maybe paths are even shorter &*better than inside apple original dock) nice silicone-like surface finish but has too light weight and cover must be cut to adopt other iPods than iphone. You can cleanly take out the pcb (there are two screws hidden under antislip base) and use it for nice diy dock or put it inside preamp or so. I desolder original minijack plug and hardwire cables or use different connectors.

Quite funny, now this iPod video is becoming vintage.
--
L_u_k_a_s

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #2,147 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by het.s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't agree, caps fit inside 5G, in my case together with 120GB drive. Some people put succesfully 240GB drive inside, that is quite a storage. Caps are lytics obviously (for size matters).

If you are concerned with electrolytic caps in signal path, you can make two outputs - take signal prior to caps in attached drawing and connect it to some unused (firewire data) pins for use with external film caps. So you have signal with zero DC on standard pins 3 & 4 and signal with DC offset on other pins.

Here is 5 bucks iphone dock I'm sure you are aware of, but I can confirm it has quality pcb and connectors inside (female dock connector at the back is upside down, so maybe paths are even shorter &*better than inside apple original dock) nice silicone-like surface finish but has too light weight and cover must be cut to adopt other iPods than iphone. You can cleanly take out the pcb (there are two screws hidden under antislip base) and use it for nice diy dock or put it inside preamp or so. I desolder original minijack plug and hardwire cables or use different connectors.

Quite funny, now this iPod video is becoming vintage.
--
L_u_k_a_s

Regarding the attached pic, which generation ipod is this mod for? It looks like a high-pass filter which only the 3G diymod uses. Does the 4G/5G require this high pass filter?

Also, I want to mod a 3G Ipod. Can I mod it without the high pass filter?
i.e. DAC LineOut -> Cap -> Dock pin out (without the resistors, like how the 4G/5G mods are traditionally done)

Need an answer quite urgently.. thanks in advance >.<

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #2,148 of 3,220
These three components block DC (solo capacitor is OK for this), avoid pops when switching inputs on line stage, stabilize signal and are there for safety. It works for me & my next stage. High pass filter is kind of side effect (it's not needed) and it is circa 0.4Hz. For modding 3G - I think everything is here in this forum, or under "Guides" of this website . I do not agree with one thing - leaving old output stage in place. Yes, it is easier to solder wires and there is less risk of damaging pcb, but then old output stage could interact with new circuit.
--
L_u_k_a_s

Quote:

Originally Posted by juswyq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the attached pic, which generation ipod is this mod for? It looks like a high-pass filter which only the 3G diymod uses. Does the 4G/5G require this high pass filter?

Also, I want to mod a 3G Ipod. Can I mod it without the high pass filter?
i.e. DAC LineOut -> Cap -> Dock pin out (without the resistors, like how the 4G/5G mods are traditionally done)

Need an answer quite urgently.. thanks in advance >.<

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #2,149 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMGP1961.jpg

finally got it done after a long long delay.

The mod was straight forward, though the desoldering of SMD parts was a little scary, as I don't have thermal-tweezers at home (and didn't want to wait two more days to use the thermal-tweezer at work). I ended up having to literally "burn" the parts off the board.

IMGP1963.jpg

I guess I had too much a high hope on the ipods (supposedly, with a top of the line dock it will "rival $1000 CD players"). Well, the sound is more or less the same level as my modded CD changers, different but not really better. This is with the iPod and CD changer using similar output caps (Vitamin-Q bypassed with teflon).
Comparing to other portable/tranportable sources, the SQ performence of the modded iPod/dock is similar to a properly modded all-metal Discman PCDP (again, all with Vit-Q/teflon output), which is larger than the Ipod/Dock combo. Still pretty nice sound for such a tiny little box, though it is not exactly tiny anymore, after adding the dock box.

I want to say thank-you to all contributers for posting the detailed info (here and on the web) and making this mod so do-able.

sorry for altering old post..but i was wondering..

where did this guy connect his cable on the line out? the cables to line out suppose to be connected to pin L2 & L3 right? but it doesn't seem that way in the first picture..

one more thing, do we have to remove the caps in L2, L3, & two caps with the Z on them?

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #2,150 of 3,220
So I'm thinking about doing this to a Mini 2G but I'd really rather not have to use some crazy hacked together looking external capacitors-anybody successfully manage to cram some caps inside somehow? Anybody sell a LOD cable with caps in it?

Also, if I ran the line out without caps into an amp, would it still damage headphones running off the amp? I'm just not clear as to why this would end up damaging headphones if the amp is running the signal through a whole bunch of caps.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #2,151 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_djoel2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry for altering old post..but i was wondering..

where did this guy connect his cable on the line out? the cables to line out suppose to be connected to pin L2 & L3 right? but it doesn't seem that way in the first picture..

one more thing, do we have to remove the caps in L2, L3, & two caps with the Z on them?

can somebody answer my question please?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #2,152 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by tekdemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm thinking about doing this to a Mini 2G but I'd really rather not have to use some crazy hacked together looking external capacitors-anybody successfully manage to cram some caps inside somehow? Anybody sell a LOD cable with caps in it?

Also, if I ran the line out without caps into an amp, would it still damage headphones running off the amp? I'm just not clear as to why this would end up damaging headphones if the amp is running the signal through a whole bunch of caps.

Mini 2G really does not have much room inside. Yes, there are lots of people selling iMod line out docks with caps inside, just post a WTB on the forum.

Well, those caps are meant for blocking DC on the output.
1) If your amplifier is DC-coupled, you may fry your amplifier, and then your headphones.
2) If your amplifier is AC-coupled with output caps but no input caps, you may fry your amp, but headphones should be fine.
3) If your amplifier is AC-coupled with input caps, you should have no problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_djoel2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can somebody answer my question please?
smily_headphones1.gif

Likely the reason you got no answer to your questions is because both are clearly answered in the guide linked to by joneeboi in the first post. In case you don't find it quickly enough, here is the final link http://www.ualberta.ca/~jple/diyMod/...ls/ipod5g.html

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #2,153 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the reason you got no answer to your questions is because both are clearly answered in the guide linked to by joneeboi in the first post. In case you don't find it quickly enough, here is the final link http://www.ualberta.ca/~jple/diyMod/...ls/ipod5g.html

thanx for the link FallenAngel. everything 's clear now
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #2,154 of 3,220
Does the 6g ipods' output stage use opamps?

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #2,157 of 3,220
Haven't been involved in DIYmod stuff since I did the 3G bit a while ago, but now am doing a 5G w/Apricorn's 240GB drive.
Think its been all been said before, but here's a few IMO / 2c bits:

* wouldn't do internal caps myself any longer. If the point of this mod is best possible SQ out of iPod short of buying expen$ive digital-out dock, want my signal going through film caps. And possibility of changing those caps.

* although I implemented the 3G mod "to spec", e.g. w/full pass filter parts (100R, 50k), seems most do not do this. It can always be implemented in the cap dock if desired. I'll likely give the 5G a go w/o the resistors 1st.

* I do not agree with one thing - leaving old output stage in place - Thought about this quite a bit myself prior to doing my 5G. Although removing parts (at least caps near DAC) may be ideal, it makes the mod more risky as Jon & others say, I'll not be removing parts. A bit out on a limb here, but don't think 2nd audio path can "add" or "remove" anything audible to signal now that it has a direct/shorted path to output. Pretty sure there are no "active" parts in the remaining path, e.g. no "output stage", likely just some passives to fully implement the DAC output spec.

* along w/the best possible SQ thing, seems to me lossless files are a prerequisite for this, and one would want lots of GBs for that. E.g. a decent lib could demand 80GB or more. At least w/o having to sync new sets of files pretty often.

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #2,158 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't been involved in DIYmod stuff since I did the 3G bit a while ago, but now am doing a 5G w/Apricorn's 240GB drive.
Think its been all been said before, but here's a few IMO / 2c bits:

* wouldn't do internal caps myself any longer. If the point of this mod is best possible SQ out of iPod short of buying expen$ive digital-out dock, want my signal going through film caps. And possibility of changing those caps.

* although I implemented the 3G mod "to spec", e.g. w/full pass filter parts (100R, 50k), seems most do not do this. It can always be implemented in the cap dock if desired. I'll likely give the 5G a go w/o the resistors 1st.

* I do not agree with one thing - leaving old output stage in place - Thought about this quite a bit myself prior to doing my 5G. Although removing parts (at least caps near DAC) may be ideal, it makes the mod more risky as Jon & others say, I'll not be removing parts. A bit out on a limb here, but don't think 2nd audio path can "add" or "remove" anything audible to signal now that it has a direct/shorted path to output. Pretty sure there are no "active" parts in the remaining path, e.g. no "output stage", likely just some passives to fully implement the DAC output spec.

* along w/the best possible SQ thing, seems to me lossless files are a prerequisite for this, and one would want lots of GBs for that. E.g. a decent lib could demand 80GB or more. At least w/o having to sync new sets of files pretty often.

Hi,

I also recently completed the 250gig diymod from apricorn, but I'm having a few problems. I will list them in point form, if anyone has had any of the same problems and found a solution I would be very grateful for help:

1 - The click wheel does not sit back into it's original position (the left click is recessed and does not respond well)

2 - When playing flac files it often just skips to the next track half way through, but if I repeat the track from the beginning it runs fine. Its only when playing playing an album continuously. It's as if it skips only when the hard drive spins to load the next part of the track in memory.

3 - the battery life with the new 850mAh battery provided by apricorn is very bad, from a 100% charge, it drops to 70% within 5 mins, and drains very fast afterwards. Looking at around 3-4 hours of playtime. Even with the a usb cable plugged into the ipod, the battery still drains faster during playback than it can charge and eventually turns off.

4 - I also built a line out dock cable with elnor caps, and when i plug it into the amp and ipod, I only hear sound from the right earphone, but then when i pull it out slightly (half in half out of headphone jack on amp) I get sound from both earphones.

Any help would be really appreciated,
Thanks Steph

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #2,159 of 3,220
My extra 2c, note I've not closed up & used my DIYmod 5G 240MB yet:
1 - click wheel not sitting right - Clearly something physical inside you need to correct. I can see it'd be a bit of a challenge to re-fit things, esp. the drive, & close 'er up myself. I did take care to route wire as close to PCB as possible (around chips & "larger" SMD caps) & did not overlap them.
2 - won't be using flac, but I'll be seeing how large apple lossless files perform.
3 - am a bit concerned about the battery myself & will have to see. Even though Apricorn quotes nice numbers for their batts, if they are cheap ones they may not perform up to specs.
4 - another physical/electrical thing for you to debug. I'll double check my DIYmod wires/connection prior to box up (incl continuity from pads near DAC through lineout dock L&R). And probably tack the wires down w/a spec of adhesive.

Good luck & I'll try to post back w/experiences after boxup & use for a few days.

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #2,160 of 3,220
Just an update that mine came together perfectly & is working well. Only visible diff that it was done is that I used a red permanent marker to color the white/gray plastic trim piece in diymod's dock connector (to distinquish it from my other 5G ipod).

Battery life seems fine so far but haven't done a full charge -> discharge test. No problems w/playback of apple lossless files incl Rush's 20-min 2112.

Edit: BTW I used ipod HD's original flat connector cable instead of one supplied on apricorn drive.. I'd problems seating/bending the "new" cable that caused restore/init to fail. So just used one from orig drive & things worked right off the bat. Perhaps because it was formed/bent better(?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back