The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Sep 23, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #2,086 of 3,220
Does rockbok give a better sound than apple firmware , or it's just to use FLAC and other formats ?

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #2,087 of 3,220
Does rockbok give a better sound than apple firmware , or it's just to use FLAC and other formats ?
tongue.gif
opcorn

sorry for the repetition...

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #2,090 of 3,220
I have try Rockbox and flac.
not noticed a big difference in files size bw ALAC and Flac..
And more files are "compressed", less battery life.
So for the instance, i haven't enough information to make a choice.
Ok for the files structure, it's better with rockbox, but taged time is quite long and not always complet ( compare with apple firmware )
Rockbox is great for adapted sound (balance, bas and treeble) with some headphones too.
If someone can give more information to make a choice expeted the format files abilities.
thank you.

Sep 28, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #2,091 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BAH! So I just installed the 240gb hard drive in my iPod 5.5G, old 80gb got busted. Well, RockBox doesn't support the sector size so I'm now modifying and recompiling it to support 4096 byte sectors instead of the original 1024. Damn Cygwin needs a lot of crap installed just to update a few lines of code.
frown.gif

Aint it a B1tch!?!
I had to recompile Rockbox so my Mini would work right with a CF card. Thanks for sharing your work. I might just pop one of those drives into my Video. Would be great for long road trips. I hardly use it now since I have a 32GB Mini
tongue.gif

In regards to, "why Rockbox?"
It's mostly a format issue. My music library is in FLAC. I briefly tried to convert it all to ALAC and use iTunes and the original iPod OS, but it was too much hassle. There are some things the iPod OS does better like battery management and waking from sleep, but that's about it. Once you get used to Rockbox's UI, I think it's easier then the iPod OS. Of course, all I want to do is browse to a folder and play the music. If you want to do other things with your music player, the Apple OS is probably better.

The final reason that made me switch back from ALAC to FLAC was iTunes. I am a Windows user, and iTunes on Windows sucks. bad. real bad. really really bad. Hopefully my feelings are clear
tongue.gif

iTunes would completely peg out a CPU when downloading a podcast or something. A simple download? Are you kidding me? To me, that is unacceptable, so I ditched the ALACs and haven't looked back.

The only feature/functionality I miss relates to podcasts. If I listened to a podcast on the iPod, then synced it to the PC and wanted to finish listening on the PC, it would pickup where I left off. That IS pretty slick, but not worth all the other annoyances. Rockbox > iPod OS
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #2,092 of 3,220
Thank you for your answer.
I 'm in the same felling concerning windows and Itunes...
Not great integration for sure LOL, and the fact that it's 9.0 / 9.1 / etc too much maj for what ?

Oct 3, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #2,093 of 3,220
This is a really late announcement, but I'm going to be moving my webpage to my university-allotted web space. It's the smartest move for me now, so I'm going to be taking my sweet precious time to get that all moved over. I'll keep everyone posted.

The website has been moved. Please see:

http://www.ualberta.ca/~jple/

It's exactly the same as before. Woo! That was painless.

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #2,094 of 3,220
Joneeboi you might want to put that new link on your first post. Until I saw this I thought the old site had just disappeared. Glad to see it is still up-- I'm about to try modding some old iPods that need new batteries-- as long as I'm in there anyway.

[Sorry, when I clicked the link the other night it took me to a "no such site" message. Tonight it works!]

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #2,096 of 3,220
is there anyone on head-fi that is able to perform this modification for others? i neither have the tools or skill to do such thing. If there is PM me im willing to pay 50 to 75 dollars plus the cost of materials. (i have a 4g ipod)

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #2,097 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by indianbraker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there anyone on head-fi that is able to perform this modification for others? i neither have the tools or skill to do such thing. If there is PM me im willing to pay 50 to 75 dollars plus the cost of materials. (i have a 4g ipod)

same situation here. Also own a 4th generation ipod. Would someone kindly mod my ipod for me
floatsmile.png

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #2,098 of 3,220
same here, I would love to have someone do it for me. please PM me

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #2,099 of 3,220
I have a DIYmod ipod G4 that I made by drilling a hole for an 1/8 stereo plug connector (connected to the pads on the board by the 8971 and to the plug via 2.2uf Vishay Roederstein 1813 film caps).

The plug that I have isn't isolated from the case and connects the back panel to ground. Can this cause any problems? Should I install an isolated plug?

It has been working for a while, but recently I've had problems with DC offset (blew up my Mini3, which luckily I built, so I can repair). I think that I overheated the caps when I soldered them in, as that is the only thing that is between the 1.5 volts of DC coming out of the DAC and the output, they have to be the problem. I have some 10uf Vishay/Roederstein 1813 caps on the way, hopefully they will work better.

Would implementing a 100ohm resistor in series, and a 47kohm to ground as there is in one of the wolfson data sheets I looked at make the circuit more reliable?

Does anyone have a datasheet for the WM8975? I can't seem to find it.

Thank you for your help. I tried searching this thread for answers before posting, but couldn't find anything concrete.

Best,
Aaron

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #2,100 of 3,220
Hello , i am recieving ipod mini 1G soon and i want to DIYmod it , i am pretty shure that it is here somewhere , but do not have time to go through the whole 140 sites
smily_headphones1.gif
Please can somebody give me advices how to do it? Or just instruct me on which pages it is mentioned?I would prefer to talk to someone who did it on it´s mini through PM.Thank you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back