The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Aug 19, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #2,041 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as no DC is making it to your headphones, you're good. I don't know if the iBasso is AC-coupled, so it would be safer to put capacitors in series with the signal coming from your iPod mini. If your iBasso has DC-blocking capacitors, then you can use the CB03 connector.

Thanks joneeboi...is there any guides or photos of individuals who have a created a LOD with capacitors on them.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #2,042 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you recommend higher voltage caps than 6.3V? They only see 1.5V, 6.3V is already excessively large.

Also, what is the purpose of that resistor divider? Most amps have a pot that does just that.

When using 6.3V Elna caps, the DC on the output was present for longer time, it drifted towards zero rather slowly then is usually seen.

47K resistor prevents loud pops when switching sources on your preamp, value can be from 47K to 1Meg, while 100R is used in schematics for processors such as WM8731 or ADSP-BF523C. There are no resistor in recommended external components in WM8978 datasheet, but it doesn't mean that you don't use them. They are not in schematics maybe because it is expected that the DAC willl be followed by output stage (buffer, protection, etc.).
You can go without 100R with no problem, maybe.
--
Lukas
het staeler audio

[size=xx-small]Do not forget to listen to iPod disconnected from power source, with backlight off and preferably in lossless format :) And EQ to OFF or flat.[/size]

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #2,043 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by het.s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When using 6.3V Elna caps, the DC on the output was present for longer time, it drifted towards zero rather slowly then is usually seen.

47K resistor prevents loud pops when switching sources on your preamp, value can be from 47K to 1Meg, while 100R is used in schematics for processors such as WM8731 or ADSP-BF523C. There are no resistor in recommended external components in WM8978 datasheet, but it doesn't mean that you don't use them. They are not in schematics maybe because it is expected that the DAC willl be followed by output stage (buffer, protection, etc.).
You can go without 100R with no problem, maybe.
--
Lukas
het staeler audio

[size=xx-small]Do not forget to listen to iPod disconnected from power source, with backlight off and preferably in lossless format :) And EQ to OFF or flat.[/size]

Uhm... that makes no sense. When something doesn't make sense, I try it and so I just sat down and tested my 3 docks (4.7uF/200V Sonicap Gen1 bypassed by 0.1uF Sonicap Gen2, 47uF/6.3V BlackGate NX and 4.7uF/250V VCap OIMP) and the 47uF/6.3V shows the fastest settling time.

Yes, I understand the 47K bleeding resistor, not that it's necessary in most applications, but sure.

I think the 100R inline prevents the DAC from misbehaving - I don't think it needs that; I've seen a diyMod drive 15 foot interconnects without nothing but a pair of caps, but again, sure, why not.

On a side note, I get a new 5.5G 80gb iPod to diyMod.
smily_headphones1.gif
... and fix my 16gb flash Mini Gen2.
frown.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #2,044 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note, I get a new 5.5G 80gb iPod to diyMod.
smily_headphones1.gif
... and fix my 16gb flash Mini Gen2.
frown.gif

Congrats to next 5.5G iPod, is it brand new?

I know blackgates are preferred by many, but I think Elnas are worth a try - I've got some unused RFS Silmic II 47uf 6.3V (5mm diameter) I can send to you if you'd like to try them.
--
Lukas

Aug 21, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #2,045 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by het.s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats to next 5.5G iPod, is it brand new?

I know blackgates are preferred by many, but I think Elnas are worth a try - I've got some unused RFS Silmic II 47uf 6.3V (5mm diameter) I can send to you if you'd like to try them.
--
Lukas

Apple refurbished with previous owner, I can never find these things anymore.
frown.gif

Thanks for the offer, but I like to stick to film caps whenever possible. I've got a few docks around in case.
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #2,046 of 3,220
Took me a couple of days to get fully caught up, but thank you joneeboi! very informative, thanks for helping spread the word
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm now enjoying the hell out of my wife's new diy imod
smily_headphones1.gif

btw - if anyone in the Seattle area needs pointers, feel free to PM

Aug 22, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #2,050 of 3,220
Sorry for the 'n00b' question - and I'm sure it is posted somewhere in here - but, on the 5/5.5g diymod, how does the wire connection between the C and L's create the "diymod"? Does the circuit get bypassed? It seems like it would end up at the same place anyways since that is how it works or no?

Sorry and thanks in advance.

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #2,053 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by hur1214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one noob question. How can I find +, - lead from film cap?

Film caps are generally non-polar, there isn't a cathode or anode, install any way you like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fallen: Where have you been, man?
atsmile.gif
240GB Hard Drive for iPod Video (MK2431GAH): RapidRepair

Busy with my balanced rig and only take my iPod out to play when I rollerblade.
tongue.gif

I think I like the new 5.5G 80GB, it's enough for me for now, though the older 5G 30GB could use a new drive.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's slimmer though, have to check to make sure it'll fit properly. Have something off the top of your head that fits?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #2,054 of 3,220
A method I used for internal capacitors, Get a 80gb iPod video, and put the two 22uf blackgates (or if your a crafty bugger, the 47uf's unside it and put a slimmer 30gb HD instead of the 80gb one as it frees up enough room.

I just finished my best diymod yet, An internal cap 5.5g iPod with 8gb cf card (only 8gb cos the f*&*ing prick on ebay ripped me off). Works beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back