The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Aug 11, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #2,026 of 3,220
hahahaha +D
(post 2019)

hey btw I have seen you reference, but not "rant", and I'm up to post #70. I think the rant may have just happened!!

I'm doing a car mount for my diyMod, can anyone recommend a good switch from mouser that will fit in something only slightly bigger than a dock? I want the switch to cut off the USB power I will be adding, but haven't familiarized myself enough with small electro parts to know a good switch, or even what kind of switch* I will need.

*USB has 4 pins I will have active on my custom dock; I'm spoofing with data pins with voltage also to make it charge 3g+ nano's, iphones, touch et al. I want to cut all 4 pins/wires with one switch, or do I only need to cut 3? I found this switch, but I think it's only for two wires.

Also, I'd like to cut my headunit out of the loop with dock straight to RCA to amp. Anyone know of a good car chip preamp with 3 outs (F/R/sub) for my amp so I can control volume? DIY preferred
wink.gif
otherwise I'll wait on that and just go to HU.

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #2,027 of 3,220
Alright guys, I've read this entire thread and realized a few things haha. First, all my junior varsity questions I was asking were eventually answered somehow in the thread, and uncannily they were right after I asked them. Second, my posts were current with what I was reading on page 60, but this thread got sooo serious after the mid 1800s! Third, you guys are awesome to have this thing going this long, and also to keep improving, and thanks for this amazing resource that really is a community effort (I didn't believe it at first
wink.gif
). So now I have these posts taking up real estate on a real gem of a thread; I hope I can add something worthwhile soon!
icon10.gif

Now my most longstanding question was #1937, signal distribution, thanks. And the others were slowly but surely answered.

So thanks I now get to the caps idea. Using this scenario with caps in the case a la gueri_fr, and larger caps in the dock..

willps-albums-diymod-picture3178-parallel-dock.png

Is it possible to take those jumper cables J1 and J2 and bring them to the blank 7 and 14 dock pins to make the caps in parallel? Then I'd have to run that signal to two other blank pins for audio (I only know of one other blank..) This way, my car and home docks would have extra capacitance, but this setup would also play in any normal dock for when I wasn't at the two home and car docks? Kinda makes it more useful to have around and not lose the ability to parallel, since we have learned series is bad
wink.gif
... Is there a ground issue here? Certainly the distribution of the signal, but probably minor if it's a dead end in non-parallel mode.

One question is, what happens if I put a non-mod ipod into the parallel dock? Maybe I should draw another dock... Basically only one leg of the cap would be connected in the dock, and the other to a blank pin... what would this do to audio for those ipods? I assume that's a massive issue as per post $1937, and these are going to be friends ipods, so we are hoping to avoid damage,
wink.gif

Also, Dumbears, I was excited to read your headphone cap mod attempt.. Any news?

PS Guys I never thought the touch would get done... Congratulations!! what great work. Surprised to see it's regarded so highly in sound from the small sampling; didn't RWA officially say that the DAC weren't up to par, and that's why they stop at 5.5 gen??

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #2,029 of 3,220
Thankyou dumbears! Wow that's a rather nasty equation... At first glance it didn't look too bad, but in series that means a 47uf+220uf become a 38.7uf. It seems the sum can be no more than any single part, ouch!!

Just found "allaboutcircuits.com" which will hopefully prevent me from further amposts.
biggrin.gif
Just a bit of reading.

Edit: Found the elusive solid core wire in one of the posts about Cardas tonearm 33awg, eliminating that question/problem of not being able to find fine solid core. The clear teflon copper solid core 30awg is still elusive though, even though I've seen it in some select diyMod pics...

Edit 2: Self help prevails! =D There it is again, post #1824, answers the pin questions I had, centering around the epiphany that wm8758 = wm8978.

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #2,032 of 3,220
Just put new hard drive inside and bypassed original output stage.
There are two capacitors and four resistor inside:

iPod 5G modification drawing

It is convenient to have caps indside - you can use it with any dock, cable or whatever system you prefer. Components are placed under the board - there is place for caps in corners (cut rubber spacers) and for resistors between hard drive and back cover - remove white plastic frame around HD and little foam.

You can make room for getting wires from front side of the board to back side by filing or cutting plastic front cover and gray frame which holds PCB.

As for choice of caps - I didn't like behaviouur of caps with 6.3V specs, so I prefer more V - see drawing for specs.

Without resistors there is possibility of hearing unpleasant noise when switching sources on your preamp and they are there also to protect iPod.

For non-portable use I would add a buffer (it doesn't squeeze inside I'm afraid :) tube cathode follower or solid state (discrete transistor stage of Nelson Pass B1 preamp comes to mind). Just to add power (and maybe loose a little gain).

You can do this if you choose properly small parts, good luck!

--
Lukas
het staeler audio

[size=xx-small]Do not forget to listen to iPod disconnected from power source, with backlight off and preferably in lossless format :) And EQ to OFF or flat.[/size]

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #2,033 of 3,220
I do not appreciate someone joining to use this place to advertise. one post and you are flogging your wares. there are people here that have already done similar to your 'original idea" what a lot of trouble to go to to mod an ipod. these DIYMODs are great for the intended purpose, but IMO there are better things to build for home use.

reported

Aug 18, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #2,034 of 3,220
Gusp,
totally agree, there are better choices of source for home use. And because you say I wrote something not suitable for this forum, I edited my post. Thank you. And I didn't know there were other people who put hard drive and caps inside 5G iPod except for the trick with CF cards (but they have lower capacity than original drive).
--
Lukas
het staeler audio

[size=xx-small]Do not forget to listen to iPod disconnected from power source, with backlight off and preferably in lossless format :) And EQ to OFF or flat.[/size]

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #2,037 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
het.s,

is it possible to fit 240 GB (which is thicker) and all the stuff you drawn in PDF?

Thickness of my 120GB is 0.8cm, same is specs for 240GB MK2431GAH.

Here is info from toshiba europe:

Question:
"I'd like to change hard drive in my iPod to some larger than 80GB I curently have (model MK8010GAH).
Are there suitable 240GB or 160GB toshiba hard drives?
Thank you very much."

Reply:
"Dear Mr. Francl,
your understanding is perfect - it is not possible to use the MK2431GAH*in an*iPod."

And more detailed rerply about 240GB:
"The MK2431GAH is normally not available for purchase for end customers because it is
a bit different than most Harddrives are.* It was designed with a specific purpose in
mind and due to that, the Block Size of the MK2431GAH is a physical 4KB and is not changeable.
This means that it is not formatable by the available OSs and is not meant to be used in a PC, Notebook or
other Computer-type of device.
It is strictly for the Automobile Industry."

Same guy from Toshiba suggested me 120GB MK1214GAH drive.
--
Lukas
het staeler audio

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #2,038 of 3,220
I'm confused, maybe you can answer my question. I have a iPod mini 2gen I am interested doing the iMod on. So that means I just need to solder the correct pins for my iPod mini and then I can use a LOD to connect to my amp...like the iBasso CB03 connector. Correct?

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #2,040 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by cis4smack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused, maybe you can answer my question. I have a iPod mini 2gen I am interested doing the iMod on. So that means I just need to solder the correct pins for my iPod mini and then I can use a LOD to connect to my amp...like the iBasso CB03 connector. Correct?

As long as no DC is making it to your headphones, you're good. I don't know if the iBasso is AC-coupled, so it would be safer to put capacitors in series with the signal coming from your iPod mini. If your iBasso has DC-blocking capacitors, then you can use the CB03 connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back