The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jul 25, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #2,011 of 3,220
Stock Mini sounds better to me than stock 5.5G. It is also more slim and light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 5G/5.5G is the mostly popular diyMod. I don't know if that has to do with the capacity, form factor, or sound quality, but consider that the Apple Universal Dock also has the same chip as the 5G/5.5G. Why do you ask?

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #2,012 of 3,220
Quote:

Take out your trusty DMM and see if the south pad of L2 has continuity with pin 3 on the dock. If not, you may have to solder directly to the dock which is never a fun exercise. Which pad did you rip?

Which end of the L2 is south? the end nearest to the caps or the end farthest away

Jul 27, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #2,014 of 3,220
I accidentally pulled the DAC connections out from an imod'ed Gen4 while changing the battery. Can someone advise me where to reconnect them? The pads didn't seem to rip off with it so I hope I can fix it.

DSCF2728.jpg

DSCF2724.jpg

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #2,016 of 3,220
Hello, I need your help.

I have one ipod mini (2 gen) one and trying to do DIY mod.
Capacitors
This is the web site that I can get caps.
but cannot find anything like blackgate 6.3v 47uF. Please choose one for me.
Size of caps are not important to me...

Help me to choose the cap. PLEASE
smily_headphones1.gif

My set-up will be
iPod mini -> LOD -> Little dot mkIII amp (Input Impedance: 50K ohms) -> Senn HD650
or Grado sr125

Aug 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #2,019 of 3,220
In an effort to squash this myth that the diyMod doesn't allow you to use your headphones, I've done and am doing a few things.

- aaronylee's blog, one of the most quoted of all perpetrators, has been commented enough to clarify this misunderstanding.
- I've added yet another line in my signature regarding this matter
- I replied to a visitor message in my public profile
- I'll say it again right now

The diyMods can be set up such that your headphones still work safely in your headphone jack. This isn't always the case, but it is often the case. Unless you know that your signal is being sent straight to the headphone jack without DC blocking capacitors, your diyMod likely isn't affected.

Bottom line: Your headphones can work straight from the diyMod.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #2,022 of 3,220
Quote:

I think it'd be harder trying to fit those caps and RCA jacks inside the iPod mini than soldering to C69+C70. If anything, you can ask someone to do the mod for you.

I'm not going to put the cap and RCA inside. I might make my own wood case from ipod mini(not going to be a portable.) Will this work?

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #2,023 of 3,220
Yeah, it'll work if you run the wires right out of the bottom or the top of the case or something. You can drill a hole through the case for a more subtle solution. You can also just try to solder the wire.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #2,024 of 3,220
Quote:

Yeah, it'll work if you run the wires right out of the bottom or the top of the case or something. You can drill a hole through the case for a more subtle solution. You can also just try to solder the wire.
very_evil_smiley.gif

hahaha ya, i'm might just drill a hole on the back of ipod case. Thanks for helping me..

BTW, is C71 ground? (if it is not, can you tell me which c# is ground.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back