The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Oct 17, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #1,471 of 3,220
XXII I was in a similar situation to you regarding caps and had this rather scary reply from joneeboi. Seems it working isn't enough to guarantee you're not doing damage, so best to check what you have. I haven't been brave enough to try with nice sensitive headphones since that reply!

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #1,472 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidal_orange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
XXII I was in a similar situation to you regarding caps and had this rather scary reply from joneeboi. Seems it working isn't enough to guarantee you're not doing damage, so best to check what you have. I haven't been brave enough to try with nice sensitive headphones since that reply!

Well I did open my DIYmod and I saw what I thought were BG caps. I have no electronic experience so I have no idea if what I saw was the right caps.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #1,473 of 3,220
Hey, sorry if this has been asked already, but if I do the DYImod to a 5.5g ipod just like Aaron Lee's guide will I still be able to use the headphone jack normally??
On his guide it says it will bypass that, but what I'm hearing is that it doesnt affect the headphone jack at all

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #1,474 of 3,220
Seaningtime: if you follow the pics on the first page (figure D's) the headphone out is untouched. It's a handy backup if you forget to charge your amp!

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #1,475 of 3,220
awesome!
Ok, now since there needs to be a capacitor, does it really matter where it is as long as it is between the ipod and the source?
I.E. could I just cut the cable in my car and put a capacitor in halfway? Seems much easier than fitting it into the ipod connector, and since it is always in my car it won't be an eyesore
Thanks for the help orange!

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #1,476 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it works with a normal line out so I guess the internal caps are attached properly.

by telling you not to use it with anything without input caps, I didn't mean try it out on all your gear to see if it works!!! thats why I warned you because it will still give you audio but may very well be killing your amp with DC; you cant here DC offset, its the silent killer
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #1,477 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaningtime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
awesome!
Ok, now since there needs to be a capacitor, does it really matter where it is as long as it is between the ipod and the source?
I.E. could I just cut the cable in my car and put a capacitor in halfway? Seems much easier than fitting it into the ipod connector, and since it is always in my car it won't be an eyesore
Thanks for the help orange!

yeah man that would work fine; as long as the signal passes through a cap (each channel) before it reaches the amp you wont ruin your gear with DC offset.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #1,479 of 3,220
diymod_copper.jpg

Managed to get my third diyMod done yesterday
smily_headphones1.gif
Had to get another one after losing the first after having sold the other.. Lifted a few pads on the original motherboard of this unit due to not being used to the stiffness of the solid core copper wire, and had to wait for a new board to arrive. Thankfully that's all behind now!

Again, a big thank you to joneeboi for the thread and aaronylee for his guide - both have been invaluable to me
regular_smile .gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #1,482 of 3,220
Quote:

Well it works with a normal line out so I guess the internal caps are attached properly.

A modded line out will still "work" without the caps, but you can damage your gear. This is a warning you shouldn't ignore if you are fond of your headphones
wink.gif

Do you have access to a multi meter? If so, just measure the voltage across the 3.5mm plug on your LOD. ~20mV is the limit most folks feel comfortable with.

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #1,483 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have access to a multi meter? If so, just measure the voltage across the 3.5mm plug on your LOD. ~20mV is the limit most folks feel comfortable with.

I do have a multimeter....but I don't know exactly where to connect it to the 3.5mm plug. If someone could advise...Sorry for my utter ignorance!
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #1,484 of 3,220
Quote:

I do have a multimeter....but I don't know exactly where to connect it to the 3.5mm plug. If someone could advise...Sorry for my utter ignorance!
tongue.gif

across the ground and signal rings. ground is the first ring while left channel is the tip and right is the middle. put your meter in DC voltage mode and set it to the appropriate range. if you measure across the ground and left channel for instance you should get no more than ~20mV. so put one end (usually the black probe '-' or common) on the ground and one on the left channel (red '+'). hmmmm. nah you'll be ok
wink.gif
I hope

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #1,485 of 3,220
Allow me to elab. Following the picture in the first post for the short & wide Nano where you thought the LOUT/ROUT would be, i attached very small Magnet wire (radioshack), to the DAC side of the caps, ran them to the dock connector, which i then ended up solider bridging about five of the pins, but that's another story. I would love to tell you how well the mod went for me, and how much better the sound output is on my 2.2kW car stereo, but this isn't the case. I think i bricked it pokin around with my O-scope looking for audio near your suspected DAC. And i did find audio, on both sides of the board. I believe i accidentally shorted two pins on the memory chip while the ipod was apart and running, but that was my fault. Read through most of the thread, (149 pages guys?!), and didn't come across any relevant info, so here are at least a few conclusions of where the audio actually is on the board...

See attached pics, hope this helps someone out trying this... They say education costs money.

BTW, Taking suggestions which ipod worked best with this mod, will consider buying a nice one if my nano 4GB doesn't wake back up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back