The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Oct 27, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #1,501 of 3,220
I've done some basic DIY jobs.. A couple of interconnets and not very hard potrable amp but I have never face up with dock connector..
Could you give me a picture of a dock connector with BG caps in it?
Sorry for my silly questions...

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #1,503 of 3,220
Oct 27, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #1,504 of 3,220
Unfortunately, no, the Black Gates won't fit there. That position is just underneath the face plate, so there is maybe a millimeter or two of clearance, if even that. You could still put Black Gates there, just drill some holes in the face plate and you're good.
wink_face.gif

I personally don't like glue-required docks like the one you linked from Qables. Get their snap style dock. If shipping price becomes an issue, check out Ridax. I'm not sure what shipping is usually like to Poland.

And for the picture you requested (though I'm not sure it's exactly what you were looking for)
diymod001od5.jpg
:

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #1,506 of 3,220
Quote:

And for the picture you requested (though I'm not sure it's exactly what you were looking for)

unfortunately, no..

I was also looking for the pin configuration for the dock and I found this:Apple iPod and iPhone dock interfaces pinout and signals @ pinouts.ru..
The ground pin is second, isn't it?

I'd like to buy dock connector from Qables because my friend buys from there often..

Can I put those capacitors like it is on the picture above?
Capacitors- purple colour...

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #1,507 of 3,220
You can find ground on pins 1, 2, 15, 16, 29 and 30.

And I don't think there's a patent yet on that type of capped dock configuration. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll snap a picture and show you how I did my capped dock, but after midterms of course.
wink_face.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #1,508 of 3,220
@joneeboi- thanks you kindly..
wink.gif

I could put the Black Gate into the iPod and solder them in the wires which connect poles above the DAC and inductors poles..
ImageShack - Hosting :: twowiresop9.jpg

Could I do something like this?

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #1,509 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by krisio06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@joneeboi- thanks you kindly..
wink.gif

I could put the Black Gate into the iPod and solder them in the wires which connect poles above the DAC and inductors poles..
ImageShack - Hosting :: twowiresop9.jpg

Could I do something like this?

Are you saying you want to solder some SMD caps inline where you put the purple marks? I suppose you could do that, but a SMD cap won't sound as good as a high quality audio cap. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the purple is for in the image or I'm misunderstanding what you're asking.

Are you saying you will put the caps inside the iPod and then connect them to the wires where you put the purple marks? You could, but if you're putting the caps inside the iPod, that would change how you would route the wires.

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #1,510 of 3,220
Not SMD's caps, I was thinking about Black Gate Caps..
Not exacly where i put the purple marks but inline..
That picture was to show you my idea..

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #1,511 of 3,220
You put the capacitors in line with the DAC, but you can't put them inside the faceplate of the iPod. If you put the Black Gates after the dock, it works out the same as putting it between the DAC and the L2/L3 pads minus the problem of figuring out where to put the caps. I won't say you can't do it, but it'd be more difficult figuring out how than going with the tried and true method we've all come to know and love. It is DIY after all.

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #1,512 of 3,220
Hi guys. I've been watching this thread closely for some time now. I have an iPhone 1st gen, and I'm willing to take it apart for the good of the DIY community! Well... sorta... I've already did so.

I thought I was VERY unlucky when I did the hardware unlock (1.1.2 OTB 4.6BL), just to find that 10 days later the soft unlock for my firmware was finally released.

Well... the tide has changed now, so, as my iPhone's case ia a little messed up, I have nothing to lose if I open it again (well... you never know when you'll short something, so ok, maybe I have something to lose
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I've ordered some parts needed for the mod... They'll probably arrive within the next few days, so I'm gathering as much info as I can get before having at it.

I have a few questions to Jon (and to anyone willing to contribute) regarding the iphone's internals:

Are you sure that the line out output on the iphone uses ROUT2 and LOUT2? OUT3 and OUT4 are used to drive the internal speaker then? I'm a little concerned about removing the wrong caps and frying my little speaker
smily_headphones1.gif

Does anyone knows where are the (or if there's any) final caps and inductors (like the ipod 5.5g) to be removed near the dock's ribbon cable connector pins?

I'm linking some hi-res pics that have been useful for me:

pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4

Thanks in advance for any help
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #1,514 of 3,220
Those pictures are flaming awesome, Polacchini! They just confirmed the correct pins for the iPhone. I wouldn't recommend removing the capacitors however, not in the iPhone and not in the 5G/5.5G. If you leave them in, it makes for easier soldering and a more solid connection in the end. Thank you very much for those photos. That's insane. I was actually thinking of getting my diyPhone done when I had time to get it done in one shot (so I wouldn't have to go without it for too long
tongue.gif
), but you beat me to it.

I couldn't tell you exactly which output from the WM8758 goes to the speaker, but I don't think it's the line out signal since you can control the volume. Of course, there could be some sort of software switching that enables the line out's volume control when there is nothing connected to the dock and disables it when there is something connected. Either way, solder your wires to the Z capacitors again (LOUT2 at pin 25, ROUT2 at pin 23) and send them to the dock. I haven't seen what the dock even looks like underneath it all, but I hope and pray it's something similar to what we've seen before. If not, we'll figure it out, won't we?
wink.gif

Good day for the thread.
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #1,515 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't seen what the dock even looks like underneath it all, but I hope and pray it's something similar to what we've seen before. If not, we'll figure it out, won't we?
wink.gif

LOL, I hope so. The dock connector is linked to the logic board via a 45-pin ribbon cable connector (The tough part is that I have no idea what pins to solder to). Pins 3 and 4 must be easy to find if I disassemble the phone, but I'm afraid there may be no conductor on the ribbon cable for pins 14 and 17. That would be perfect for this mod.

The dock connector is located in the upper right corner on the underside of the logic board:
pic1
I've attached a ribbon cable pic too.

Maybe there's a way to drill a hole on the black dock assembly and route the wires directly to the dock pins, bypassing the ribbon cable. Well... we'll find a way somehow
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif

Why do you have a board with no parts?!?!

lol, it's not mine

Sorry, forgot to put the pic's credits
smily_headphones1.gif

μblog: engineering from the trenches » iPhone PCB scans

Here it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back