The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Feb 12, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #902 of 3,220
Good to hear it, Russ. I found them, but I didn't get the 100 ohm resistance you found. From line out to striped end of the capacitors, I found continuity. That makes it one of the easier soldering jobs, considering the dock inductors are sitting right next to those caps. Remove caps C53/C54, remove inductors L7/L8, then remove caps C69/C70. Good stuff.

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #903 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to hear it, Russ. I found them, but I didn't get the 100 ohm resistance you found. From line out to striped end of the capacitors, I found continuity. That makes it one of the easier soldering jobs, considering the dock inductors are sitting right next to those caps. Remove caps C53/C54, remove inductors L7/L8, then remove caps C69/C70. Good stuff.

Are those caps to be removed in the 5.5diymod as well?

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #905 of 3,220
.....and the LOD
DSC01234.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...y/DSC01233.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...y/DSC01232.jpg
I don't use the USB or charger when playing as I think the power is quite dirty, it runs much quieter off the battery.
I did another with Blackgates and bypass silver mica's.... not sure which is best at the moment. The films have better control of the bass but the midrange/highs are a little muddy.... The BG's are bright but that's as expected... need burn-in.
TTFN

Feb 13, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #906 of 3,220
no_eye_dear, you have some really good photography! I loved that photo of the dock inductors so much I put it on the OP. It demands my eyes' attention. What caps are those in this dock? Or is this the dock with the steel base that you removed for photos? Simply stunning. Keep up the good work!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #907 of 3,220
no_eye_dear, Nice work. what theme is that you are using with rockbox?

James

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #908 of 3,220
no_eye_dear, great work!

From my part (I don't really know if it's the good terms in english!), I received my new ipod video 30gb and I installed Rockbox :)
I'm probably going to buy a defected ipod motherboard to see if I am capable to do imod myself with success. Wait and see...

eric

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #909 of 3,220
Hi Chaps,
joneeboi... an honour sir.... I'm on the OP
cool.gif

This is the other dock that I haven't put a plate on, those films are starting to open up, been burning for several days now. The films are specials from our 'Aladin's cave' @ work, so is the silver wire, we have some nice kit! Things you can't buy off the shelf
wink.gif

The theme is Marquee James, you can customise it as you please, I love Rockbox if only because I can play FLAC
biggrin.gif

gueri_fr... your English is absolutely fine

Feb 14, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #910 of 3,220
I gotta get me one of those workplaces.
mad.gif
What kind of caps are you using, no_eye_dear? I can't identify them from the photo.

Something I often wonder is how many people that are following the thread have done the diyMod but haven't chimed in yet. We've got 44k+ views, and I'm guessing most of those folks are of the DIY-ing type capable of doing the mod themselves. If you have, please let us know you've diyModded your iPod so we can share in your joy! Share the good news, share pictures, share struggles and triumphs, share it all.

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #911 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something I often wonder is how many people that are following the thread have done the diyMod but haven't chimed in yet.

I've thought about that too....you know people are doing it. Probably ones who belong to different forums as well. It would be nice to know whos all modding
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #912 of 3,220
I notice there's stuff for the first gen Mini, but not the second gen? I've got a second gen that I'll be opening up to replace the battery and convert it to a 16GB flash player, and wondered if I might give this a try while I'm at it.

Feb 14, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #914 of 3,220
We haven't had anyone try and/or report on the mini 2G, so there isn't much information on it here. There seems to be even less on the internet. If you could be so kind as to take very explicit photos inside your mini 2G, we'd all appreciate it.

While searching for a close up mini 2G logic board photo, I stumbled on these websites for iPod parts.

Fix My iPod :: iPod - Select iPod Model
iDemiGods.com - Your one stop shop for ipod parts, repair and more!!!

I have a feeling there are a million of this kind of site. iDemiGods seems pretty good, but the other seems somewhat expensive.

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #915 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrinNutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed a lot of people posting but not many people are on the list..hrm...

Which list are you referring to, BrinNutz?

Here are the images of the mini 1G. It's kind of a struggle figuring out which one is left and which is right, but I can find out later. Of the top row of inductors within the silkscreen, the second from the left is the right channel, and the third from the left is the left channel.

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0398small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back