The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jan 7, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #631 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
barqy:

I couldn't explain to you why your hold switch doesn't work beyond the fact that you removed those resistors. The easy and impossible solution would be to put those resistors back, but that's probably absurd at this point. An easier solution is to procure for yourself a new one via ifixit, eBay or any of those iPod part sources.

Yep, I was under the impression that we were suppose to de-solder the resistors
blink.gif

anyway DONT do it, it just screws things up.

luckily someone offered to send me another headphone jack
smily_headphones1.gif

unfortunately Ill be away till march
frown.gif

To all: how did you guys fit the BG caps inside a 4th gen ipod? (like what RWA does?) I can't get it to close at all

cheers

Jan 7, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #634 of 3,220
i didnt mod the G4's sicne it belonged to my dad :p but it did look like there was enough room near the bottem to put the caps there.

I believe you've already seen this: post46 it apears that the caps are double-sided taped down.

or maybe Vinn's just simply awesome and can make a cap fit anywhere he wants

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #635 of 3,220
just complete my 5g mod

what i have got to say
after removing the cap and resistor
and wire it up

u need magnify to help out
damm hard to solder

awaiting to borrow dock form frienf to test out
Peter
Singapore

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #636 of 3,220
Quote:

Finally, Christine, why aren't you bringing your iPod touch to school anymore? Are the mean kids making fun of you for being a prosumer again? Tough break.

biggrin.gif
I'm afraid undergrads don't dare laugh at me... well at least to my face. I shouldn't bring the touch, because I end up getting emails that there are responses to this thread. Most of the time I end up getting more ideas about potential mods
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh by the way, e-speakers.com has a great deal on Clarity Caps. ~$13.5/pair for 4.7uf caps with free shipping within the US. Assuming they are comparable at all to the BGs, I should have ordered these instead and saved a lot of $$.

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #637 of 3,220
hi wondering if anyone is interested in selling me some blackgates, cause i cant get them in australia, been looking everywhere for them. let me know. i REALLY want to do this mod to my 1st gen nano.

Jan 7, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #638 of 3,220
Hey, the best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas, right? Show some cojones and bring your touch to school!

limathy:

What you could do is perform the mod on your nano while you wait for the BGs since all that's required is some careful soldering of thin wires and removing some small elements. In the mean time, you could use some nonBG caps to pair with your diyMod nano 1G and compare them with the BGs when they do arrive.

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #641 of 3,220
Haha! Thats funny. The zune mod would be great though. I have a warranty from best buy on my 1G zune, so I took it apart to tinker...all looks good to mod. And if anything goes wrong I can take it back for warranty
wink.gif
I know, thats dirty
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #642 of 3,220
Quote:

Anyone have a Zune 2G?

maybe you should make another seperated thread for Zune, Jon...cos it's a lili bit out of topic if you make a topic about it here, cmiiw...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok all ipods done, now we are moving to the zune line.
wink.gif

not me...
biggrin.gif
not even done with the ipod yet...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha! Thats funny. The zune mod would be great though. I have a warranty from best buy on my 1G zune, so I took it apart to tinker...all looks good to mod. And if anything goes wrong I can take it back for warranty
wink.gif
I know, thats dirty
tongue.gif

good for you then...
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #643 of 3,220
if i cant get access to black gates, does anyone have any other capacitor recommendations that are easier to obtain?

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #644 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by limathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i cant get access to black gates, does anyone have any other capacitor recommendations that are easier to obtain?

Too bad I didn't see your request prior to my order from sonicraft, I would have tacked on a couple more BGs (it does list Int'l shipping there).

Maybe someone yet to order could order an extra pair or two & fire them over to you for cost + shipping (maybe a WTB post in Components would help?)

I was considering back-to-back tants because they a very small & very available. But they are apparently not ideal for this use although I'm not sure how inferior they'd be to BGs for this purpose.

Good luck.

Jan 8, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #645 of 3,220
Well any cap with the same value should do the work

it only cost cents

47uf 6.3 V easily avaliable i guess not necessary to use black Gate

Correct me if i am wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back