The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jan 5, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #601 of 3,220
+ adding a superb line in for decent recordings, that would be the ipod i want
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #602 of 3,220
Have anyone see Xin's supermicro? it runs off a 1.5v AAA battery, and will most likely be able to fit inside the case of the stock ipod. might be a good amp to be placed inside, and from I heard, it sounds pretty good for something that small

Jan 6, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #603 of 3,220
hey all, i'm sure this has been asked before but....

I have a 4th gen ipod.

I removed the Z caps off the PCB board (C84/C86) and soldered down 2 wires respectively.

I want to connect the newly soldered wires to the headphone jack of the ipod.

I inserted a 3.5mm mini plug into the headphone jack, I used a DMM to figure out which is left/right, but for some reason both channels and the ground show continuity??

edit: i do not understand why there is continuity, shouldn't the channels be seperated

Is something wrong with my ipod jack?

Can someone circle which should be the L/R/Gnd channels?

jack.jpg

thanks

Jan 6, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #604 of 3,220
I don't know why you're measuring continuity between channels and ground, but you ought to test with the voltmeter instead of the ohmmeter. See if it's safe to use the jack with the voltmeter; 20mV is the upper limit for safe us with headphones. Also, you can check for sound with crappy headphones to see if it works. Are you using BGs inside your iPod, or are you putting the caps in an external case, connecting with a mini-to-some kind of connector? Either way, here is the picture.

attachment.php

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #608 of 3,220
I got tired of charging, playing, charging, playing, etc to burn-in my caps for the diyMod Nano. It would take forever to burn-in at this rate. I decided to make a dock similar to KokoKrunch's to play and charge at the same time, but I did not want a long usb cable attached to it.

So I decided to attach a female USB connector to it instead. I got lucky and remembered that the dollar store close to my Uni has female to male USB cables for $1. I took one female end for the iPod dock, and soldered the two male ends together.

It took me quite a few hours to get everything working. Here are a few hints:

1) BUY USB 2.0 cables (i.e. not from the dollar store). Initially the iPod would not charge or get detected, but you can tell something is going on since the screen goes bright as you charge it. In my linux box, it threw a bunch of errors. A quick google shows that some USB 2.0 devices do NOT work with low-quality cables (the one I bought and most USB 1.1 cables). I will spare the details on how I got it working.

2) Open iTunes, go to the summary of the iPod, check "manually manage music".

3) The iPod will have the standard "do not disconnect screen". Just eject it through iTunes and it should charge and play at the same time.

Pictures:

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #610 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by CAvanessia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got tired of charging, playing, charging, playing, etc to burn-in my caps for the diyMod Nano. It would take forever to burn-in at this rate. I decided to make a dock similar to KokoKrunch's to play and charge at the same time, but I did not want a long usb cable attached to it.

So I decided to attach a female USB connector to it instead. I got lucky and remembered that the dollar store close to my Uni has female to male USB cables for $1. I took one female end for the iPod dock, and soldered the two male ends together.

It took me quite a few hours to get everything working. Here are a few hints:

1) BUY USB 2.0 cables (i.e. not from the dollar store). Initially the iPod would not charge or get detected, but you can tell something is going on since the screen goes bright as you charge it. In my linux box, it threw a bunch of errors. A quick google shows that some USB 2.0 devices do NOT work with low-quality cables (the one I bought and most USB 1.1 cables). I will spare the details on how I got it working.

2) Open iTunes, go to the summary of the iPod, check "manually manage music".

3) The iPod will have the standard "do not disconnect screen". Just eject it through iTunes and it should charge and play at the same time.

Pictures:

nice, now we know that the right pins for those...you do that at the school Christine ?
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #612 of 3,220
Naturally I couldnt go over this whole thread. Forgive me if this has already been mentioned but how does this DIY iMod compare to the RedWineAudio iMod?
Also I would like to know if any of the succesful DIY iModders here are willing to mod it for me?

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #614 of 3,220
Sonically, I couldn't tell you the difference. Practically, the diyMod 4G converts the dock's line out signal to a high-quality one and keeps the original headphone jack signal, where the iMod 4G disables the dock's signal and converts the headphone jack into a line out. The diyMod 5G and iMod 5G ought to be the same. You be the judge.

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #615 of 3,220
Wow, I just saw this thread. Very helpful information.

Too bad it wasn't around when I did this to my 4g, 4g photo and 5g ipods
frown.gif

You don't know how hard it was to find information on how to properly do this. Lucky I found about 2 threads which were helpful enough and one member made a website which helped too.

I don't get how they were about the same thing (but only 4g models), and they didn't reach past page 2- i believe.

Also, i'm not 100% sure, but I even believe one member got ban/post deleted, for doing a DIY imod and releasing the information on it. It's hard to remember being so long ago, but he was ban for something along those lines and made a new account declaring it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back