The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jul 12, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #3,153 of 3,220
Very true indeed, I think my first decent portable was a discman and he's starting with an imod and an amp "dangerous territory" I sense astell & kern taste in a year or 2 with that start

i have sansa clip and o2 amp too:D but this will be my first real dap.

would love to buy some pricey stuff like astells and lotoo paws but being student not helps. and turkish lira is really weak compared to us dollar unfortunately.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #3,154 of 3,220
i have sansa clip and o2 amp too:D but this will be my first real dap.

would love to buy some pricey stuff like astells and lotoo paws but being student not helps. and turkish lira is really weak compared to us dollar unfortunately.
If you ever feel the urge to upgrade from the DIYmod i recommend an ibasso dx90

It sounds great and far cheaper than a lot of things on a comparable level. But take your time. Even that Sansa clip can surprise you from time to time!

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #3,158 of 3,220
Not too shabby for a first run. .  But where will the battery go?

The iFlash cards sure open up a lot of room. . .

I mostly did this as a feasibility test/practice on my spare 'pod. As you can see, the loss of the retention clip at the top allows a bit of a gap to open up. This is largely due to the positioning of the battery. I really need to get a different one in there, as the current one is placing a bit too much pressure on the back of the screen for my liking. The new line-out jack was salvaged from a torn ribbon cable assembly and super-glued in place (I hope to find a more elegant solution for the next one.) The capacitors are Elna Silmic II's (6.3v, 47 μF). It's nice not having to futz with a LOD
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #3,159 of 3,220
Wondering if anyone can help. My iPod 20GB G4 Photo needed a new battery so I thought I would try to get the CF Mod going at the same time. The replacement battery worked a treat. I have my CF adapter (trimmed to fit) and have managed to get the iPod working with a 2GB and 4GB CF card. However when I use a CF>SD adapter I have had no luck (tried 8GB SD, 32GB SD, 128GB MicroSD).

I guess I am looking for a suggestion as to which CF>SD adapter I should get. Can people share the brand of the ones they are currently using?

May 18, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #3,161 of 3,220
Is there a way to boost the sq out of the headphone port without it becoming just a line out? Like, would it be possible to make a simplified audio path by wiring directly from the dac to the headphone amp, then straight to the headphone jack? I plan to do the DiyMod and use an amp, but would like better audio from the headphone jack, as I may choose to not always have the amp with me.

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #3,162 of 3,220
A thousand apologies to the people in this thread. I more or less left head-fi for a good couple years, satisfied with my audio equipment. Thus, when my tutorials disappeared off those free file sharing sites, I meant to transition to a permanent page on my personal website. It fell through the cracks, so I will eventually get around to that in the next little while for those who are still looking up how to do it. I may even set it up on Instructables, so we'll see where my energy goes with that.

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #3,163 of 3,220
Hey, Joneeboi, welcome back!

I'm pretty decent with a soldering iron but I was never really able to get a clear conception of this mod since many 3rd party hosted images had gone missing by the time I discovered this thread, and I haven't seen a clear start-to-finish tutorial. I have a 5.5gen just begging to be diyModded so I look forward to seeing what you cook up.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #3,164 of 3,220
A thousand apologies to the people in this thread. I more or less left head-fi for a good couple years, satisfied with my audio equipment. Thus, when my tutorials disappeared off those free file sharing sites, I meant to transition to a permanent page on my personal website. It fell through the cracks, so I will eventually get around to that in the next little while for those who are still looking up how to do it. I may even set it up on Instructables, so we'll see where my energy goes with that.

This message comes at the best of times, I recently bought myself an 80GB iPod 5.5, an iflash quad, and the capacitor kit they sell (it's cheaper than getting them from any other site)
I found your instructions via archive.org, but it'd be nice if they were available through normal ways again.

Having said this, I came here with a question, even after having read most of this thread:

Wouldn't not removing the capacitors (the 'Z' marked ones, and the ones close to the 30 pin connector) affect the sound quality, as the sound still goes through the internal amp section?

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #3,165 of 3,220
The sound leaves the Wolfson CODEC, then it enters a passive filter (inductors, capacities, resistors) before reaching the dock pins. There is no further amplification happening, so when we short the filter components, that is, rewiring from the CODEC’s output directly to the dock pins, there is effectively no sound traveling through the filter anymore. Electrons will follow the path of least resistance. There might be some leakage at the atomic level, but that won’t make a difference in what you hear.

It’s much better to leave the components in there for durability when soldering. I’ve damaged my share of logic boards because the diyMod wire lifts the pad off like Godzilla tearing a Kleenex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back