The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Nov 15, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #3,031 of 3,220
OK guys, here is the comparison between the two types of capless diymods paired with the EX1000 (US version) + EX800 cable + capless LOD + capless UHA6S

Both are transparent, dynamic, fast, energetic, absolutely hiss-free background.

The cons: too cheap  
wink_face.gif

diy iMod, wired with pure silver solid core, CF card
Best bass I have heard so far.

Clean, crystal-clear and very tightened/extended bass

Very good treble just not as good as the treble for the one below

Best suitable for listening to pop music

Direct-out diymod, wired with pure silver solid core, CF card
Excellent sounding with airy, detailed and dynamic treble

Still excellent bass but just not as excellent as the bass for the one above

Best suitable for listening to classical music also for pop

If I have to choose only one diymod, I would definitely choose the direct-out. 

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #3,032 of 3,220
I feel like my curiosity, diy efforts and willingness to try different things have really paid off. 

Here is my ultimate setup for in-ear audio. It blows anything I heard before out of water. It may sound a little bit hype but I really mean it.

Specs:

capless diymod (direct-out to lod pins)
256GB CF card
2000 mAh battery
capless LOD with 22 awg pure silver solid core and cotton jacketing
EX1000 (burned-in for more than 4K hrs) with EX800 cable
capless UHA6S-MK2

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #3,033 of 3,220
  I feel like my curiosity, diy efforts and willingness to try different things have really paid off. 

Here is my ultimate setup for in-ear audio. It blows anything I heard before out of water. It may sound a little bit hype but I really mean it.

Specs:

capless diymod (direct-out to lod pins)
256GB CF card
2000 mAh battery
capless LOD with 22 awg pure silver solid core and cotton jacketing
EX1000 (burned-in for more than 4K hrs) with EX800 cable
capless UHA6S-MK2

That is so pretty. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #3,034 of 3,220
  That is so pretty. 

Thanks.

These days when I switch from capless diymod to stock ipod video, the headphone out from the stock ipod video sounds like 2D only (no horizontal depth), lacking dynamics, muddy and laid back too. My ears are too picky now. :)

That said, the ipod video is still a good sounding dap for some music (e.g. pop) not as demanding as classical. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #3,036 of 3,220
My manual on moddin an iPod Video 5gen, in Polish:

https://plus.google.com/photos/108157956523702366038/albums/6089726151626979457

(detailed descripion of every step in comments under each photo)

Nice job. Now you should diymod another one directly to the lod pins from the dac for comparison. They don't sound the same.

Also on the imod as you did, I normally run the wires like this with the metal frame filed some. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #3,039 of 3,220
  OK guys, here is the comparison between the two types of capless diymods paired with the EX1000 (US version) + EX800 cable + capless LOD + capless UHA6S

Both are transparent, dynamic, fast, energetic, absolutely hiss-free background.

The cons: too cheap  
wink_face.gif

diy iMod, wired with pure silver solid core, CF card
Best bass I have heard so far.

Clean, crystal-clear and very tightened/extended bass

Very good treble just not as good as the treble for the one below

Best suitable for listening to pop music

Direct-out diymod, wired with pure silver solid core, CF card
Excellent sounding with airy, detailed and dynamic treble

Still excellent bass but just not as excellent as the bass for the one above

Best suitable for listening to classical music also for pop

If I have to choose only one diymod, I would definitely choose the direct-out. 

Hi, is that the beyondwind iphd mod the one with direct out mod? Cant really seem the pin are connected to a caps though. Or you just skipped that step?

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #3,040 of 3,220
  Hi, is that the beyondwind iphd mod the one with direct out mod? Cant really seem the pin are connected to a caps though. Or you just skipped that step?

Direct out doesn't require going thru the LOD caps, so it's wired directly to headphone jack or line out pins :)

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #3,042 of 3,220
I have a spare 30gb 5g I think I may crack open and mod (CF card too) and go capless today :)  I have 3 actually lol.  May do both and put one up for sale!

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #3,043 of 3,220
  I have a spare 30gb 5g I think I may crack open and mod (CF card too) and go capless today :)  I have 3 actually lol.  May do both and put one up for sale!

I am planning to do the CF mod too and have a tarkan adapter on the way here. Hope to get the mod done before the adapter arrive. Are you planning to do the caps at the image above? I am no EE / audio expert, so no technical knowledge behind this. 

Never doen that before but i am trying to study the dac datasheet

AVDD2         Supply              Analogue supply (supply for output amplifiers ROUT2/LOUT2) 

AGND1         Supply             Analogue ground (return path for all input amplifiers, PLL, ADC and
                                             DAC, internal bias circuits, output amplifiers LOUT1, ROUT1 and
                                             OUT3/OUT4 on AVDD1 AGND1) 

I think that's the grounding?

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #3,044 of 3,220
  I am planning to do the CF mod too and have a tarkan adapter on the way here. Hope to get the mod done before the adapter arrive. Are you planning to do the caps at the image above? I am no EE / audio expert, so no technical knowledge behind this. 

Never doen that before but i am trying to study the dac datasheet

AVDD2         Supply              Analogue supply (supply for output amplifiers ROUT2/LOUT2) 

AGND1         Supply             Analogue ground (return path for all input amplifiers, PLL, ADC and
                                             DAC, internal bias circuits, output amplifiers LOUT1, ROUT1 and
                                             OUT3/OUT4 on AVDD1 AGND1) 

I think that's the grounding?

I'm going to unsolder the LOD caps, then run wire from the Z caps to the LOD pads

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #3,045 of 3,220

Not the beyondwind iphd mod. The direct out mod is for line out not for the headphone out. You fly wires from dac (where the Z caps are removed) directly to the LOD pins, with the pins lifted off the board for a clean bypass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back