The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Oct 24, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #3,016 of 3,220
No problem. It would be helpful if someone was able to consolidate the information and update the original post. Especially with two separate entries, one for 4G, and one for 5G.

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #3,017 of 3,220
I'm working through this thread and Jonathan Le's webpage and I keep getting stuck on this bit of advice:

"When performing these mods, it is recommended to leave components on the PCB while shorting the circuit. That way you won't rip out the audio pads and possibly disable audio output for your entire logic board. It's not necessary to take this precaution, but it reduces your chances of catastrophe."

Can anybody tell me what this means? How does one "short the circuit"? Am I NOT supposed to take out those tiny components that I'm soldering the wire ends to? So I just leave the component there and... what? Solder the wire over it? How? Just cover the tiny component with a blob of solder? If so, this seems to fly in the face of the pictures of people's mods, which looks like people have taken out those tiny caps and inductors before soldering the wire ends to the pads.

Yikes, am I confused! If anybody could help clarify this for me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #3,018 of 3,220
Greetings Modders,
got my hands on 1 ipod nano 2nd gen, did the mod, and I'm happy with it. Afterwards got 2 Sad face iPod Videos - 1 for modding and the other for comparison (before/after or iMod/Stock if you prefer). Both iPods work with a spare HDD, but one of them has an issue. The buttons and clickwheel are not responding. The only thing that works is the Menu+Select combo to reboot the iPod, and nothing more. No Disk mode, no Diagnostic menu, no Backlight when pressing buttons. I found a missing component, but i can't make out what it is. I'd appreciate if someone can help mi with this.

Here is a link with a picture.

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #3,019 of 3,220
Can anyone rate this modification to the stand alone intermediate DACs like the ODAC or Modi? Or any other well reviewed DAC? It would be nice to be able to use the iPod > Crack > HD650s to get the music away from a computer as long as the DAC is comparable.

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #3,020 of 3,220
I have been modding and testing all kinds diymods for the last 18 months, using different wires, using different caps, using different mod methods (the imod way and the direct out way). I also tested all kinds of DIY LOD's using different wires. 

The clear and undisputed winner to my ears is the following .....

diymod using the direct out method
30awg pure silver solid core for wiring inside the ipod
Capless (NO caps in ipod or in LOD)
22awg pure silver solid core with cotton jacketing for LOD cable
Rip your albums in WAV's

For all these tests, I paired the diymods with UHA6S-MK2 and EX1000. Note capless diymod sends out 2v DC to amp, so the amp shall be able to handle this much DC offsets. The UHA is designed to handle input with a few volts of DC bias. 

My primary music interest is classical, which is considered the most demanding for sound quality due to full spectrum of frequency. I always use grand symphony music to do the critical testing, assuming the recording quality is good. 

So, here is the SQ I hear about this winner:

dynamic & airy (therefore excellent sound stage, 3D imaging)
fluid, fast, transparent, effortless
energetic and fresh
smooth and sparkling treble extended on both ends
bass with excellent weight and extended on both ends
full frequency blasting (absolutely no roll offs)
absolutely no muddy/hollow/boomy/dark sounding

At this point, I have zero complaint or any further expectations for SQ. I am done. Really? :)

That said, I truly wish I will have an opportunity to compare my winner with the so called TOTL daps.

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #3,021 of 3,220

@Dminor: Interesting. What are you using as an amp? I'm about to attempt a diyMod with an old 4g classic. Was considering using a pair of WIMA 50v 4.7uF film caps, then outputting to a cMoy (JDLabs). Have you tried this (or similar) type setup? Doing it capless, I think I'd be a little paranoid about pushing 2 volts of DC into the rest of my system--especially an expensive pair of multi-BA driver CIEMs!  

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #3,022 of 3,220

@Dminor: Interesting. What are you using as an amp? I'm about to attempt a diyMod with an old 4g classic. Was considering using a pair of WIMA 50v 4.7uF film caps, then outputting to a cMoy (JDLabs). Have you tried this (or similar) type setup? Doing it capless, I think I'd be a little paranoid about pushing 2 volts of DC into the rest of my system--especially an expensive pair of multi-BA driver CIEMs!  

As mentioned in my post, the amp is UHA6S-mk2. The 2V dc bias from a capless diymod is not a problem as long as you know the amp can deal with it. Don't let that 2V scare you, and in fact that 2v may be just what is needed for something great. :)

IMO, any caps you put there will more or less do some damage to the low frequency. 

Go capless and green. LOL.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #3,023 of 3,220
Originally Posted by DMinor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The clear and undisputed winner to my ears is the following .....

diymod using the direct out method
30awg pure silver solid core for wiring inside the ipod
Capless (NO caps in ipod or in LOD)
22awg pure silver solid core with cotton jacketing for LOD cable
Rip your albums in WAV's

Is that similar to iPHDmod? If you are unfmiliar with that mod it is here: http://beyondwind.duckdns.org/?page_id=95

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #3,024 of 3,220
  Is that similar to iPHDmod? If you are unfmiliar with that mod it is here: http://beyondwind.duckdns.org/?page_id=95

I am aware of Beyondwind's mod. His mod to the LOD is similar to the imod, as he mentioned. I was interested in his mod to the headphone out, but the required soldering to the tiny tiny pads near the dac is just too too demanding. Even it can be done, IMO it could break easily (especially if the ipod needs to be reopened).The tiny pads are just not enough to hold the soldered joints firm. [size=12.7272720336914px] [/size][size=12.7272720336914px]I tried but gave up.[/size][size=12.7272720336914px] [/size]

He has perhaps confirmed what I also believe with my ears, that is the capless sounds the cleanest. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #3,025 of 3,220

the required soldering to the tiny tiny pads near the dac is just too too demanding. Even it can be done, IMO it could break easily (especially if the ipod needs to be reopened).The tiny pads are just not enough to hold the soldered joints firm. [size=12.7272720336914px] [/size][size=12.7272720336914px]I tried but gave up.[/size][size=12.7272720336914px] [/size]

Ya I had a spare iPod video 5.5g from my sister. I attempted his mod on it. What actually gave me the biggest problem was one of the pads where you uncover the copper I accidentally scraped the copper off shorting the connection... Luckily that logic board was a freebie! So when the next board arrives you would recommend avoiding the iPHDmod method then, if for no reason other then the sensitivity of the connections?

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #3,026 of 3,220
  Ya I had a spare iPod video 5.5g from my sister. I attempted his mod on it. What actually gave me the biggest problem was one of the pads where you uncover the copper I accidentally scraped the copper off shorting the connection... Luckily that logic board was a freebie! So when the next board arrives you would recommend avoiding the iPHDmod method then, if for no reason other then the sensitivity of the connections?

If you intend to use external amp, then I recommend the capless direct-out mod to the lod pins. Of course, the amp must be able to eat the 2 volts of dc bias and cancel it at output to phones. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #3,028 of 3,220
  Alright thanks for the quick response. Asking questions on this topic is difficult since the thread is so old, I appreciate the help!

No problem. Indeed this is very old thread, and credits to those who tried the mod and provided the info. What I can tell you is, most of the diymods were done just like the imod. very few have done the direct-out mod to the lod pins, let alone capless to the amp. From my extensive testing, there are clear differences between the different mods, between the capped and capless, and also between the wires. Also having solid  soldered joints is also important.

Good luck and more importantly have fun. I am off to shoot some hoops.  :)

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #3,029 of 3,220

As mentioned in my post, the amp is UHA6S-mk2. The 2V dc bias from a capless diymod is not a problem as long as you know the amp can deal with it. Don't let that 2V scare you, and in fact that 2v may be just what is needed for something great. :)

IMO, any caps you put there will more or less do some damage to the low frequency. 

Go capless and green. LOL.

If you've DC-coupled your LOD, and your headphones haven't been cooked, then the amp itself is AC-coupled and rolling off your low frequency already.
You're not really going capless at all.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #3,030 of 3,220
  If you've DC-coupled your LOD, and your headphones haven't been cooked, then the amp itself is AC-coupled and rolling off your low frequency already.
You're not really going capless at all.

Not sure you read my post entirely. By capless I mean NO caps in diymod, or LOD or external amp. The amp, such as the UHA6S, can be designed without using DC coupling caps but with a DC servo circuit that can compensate for that. The DC offset from the capless setup to the phones is zero.

According to Beyondwind, the ipod classic has also implemented a capless circuitry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back