The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jun 5, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #2,987 of 3,220
This is my first post!

I just started into the head-fi realm. I have been an audiophile for years and have to relinquish my listening room for an office so it was time to off load my collection of gear.

I start my headphone journey with a pair of HD650's and a ALO PanAm. I was impressed, it sounded pretty good using my MacBook Pro > Audirvana. Then the bug hit... Time to tube roll, I bought some Siemens 6AK 5W's and the sound became more balanced and extended. Now running Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV's what a FANTASTIC tube highs a sweet, mids are like silk and the bass is deep resolved and extended.

My family and I were planning a trip so now my focus went toward something portable, and searching this forum there were SO many options. Since I liked the way the ALO sounded I decided on the International. I wanted a DAC so I could use my iPhone 5s... disappointing to say the least.

It was right around the same time I stumbled onto this thread and dug out my old 30gig iPod 5G popped it open to take a peak. Holly Cr&p those caps are small. So I eagerly bought a soldering station (never soldered much more than for adding some things to my car) some 26awg cotton jacket OCC Silver wire from VH Audio, Some cable from double helix for a new leash (litz wire) and a soldering pot. I also picked up some Wima 2.2uf 50v 5% film caps and a ( later to find ) garbage zif to CF adapter.

Well I got started and pulled the "Z" caps out ( not too bad ) then it went bad really bad and I cooked a board, disappointed in my over eagerness I bought a replacement from RapidRepair along with new battery and face plate and click wheel. The second round of soldering was a success!!!

The Wima's went through three different stages during break-in, first was the sound stage opened up but only in width. Next it opened in depth but also the lower mids/upper bass became a tad bloated... when they finally settled in they sounded really good. It reminded me of my old Jolida 202a but I wanted a little more resolution in the mid and upper frequencies. I also noticed the the click wheel that I bought was not allowing ffw/rwd buttons to work. 

I searched ebay for a 5.5g found one a a fair price and bought a lighted magnifying glass setup. I also ordered a Tarkan ZIF to CF ( what a well thought out product ). While waiting for my new goodies I became impatient and bought some NOS ERO (Vishay) 2.2uf film caps from AliExpress.

5.5g came I popped it open and went to work, this time everything went quick and surgical (magnifying light was the key). Again being impatient  waiting for the new caps (been two weeks now and still are not here) I ordered some Kemets. I put it all together last night and my first impression (with my DIY OCC Silver LOD) was the resolution I was looking for was there, the lower mid bloat was gone but so was the depth of the sound stage... I am hoping that with more break-in they will open up. ( I have about 12hrs and counting on them ).

I just wanted to say thank you for all who have contributed to this thread and in doing so you have vicariously created a DIY Junkie now. Although I thank you my wife may not... Time to bride her with jewelry lol

Thanks Again!

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #2,988 of 3,220
Update

The little green guys showed up (2.2uF/50V (225) ERO MKT1826 polyester film capacitors Green Elf P5) first impressions were a little forward and the soundstage a little 2D. After 10hrs on them I feel I hit the lottery, they opened way up kept the upper mid a little forward which IMO the 650's needed and the texture of strings is sublime.

Who knew for a couple of bucks and a few minutes of work could yield such an engaging listening experience that you can taylor to your tastes.

Now I want to see about a 3D printed 30pin case to try some other multiple cap options. As my headphone collect will surely grow.

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #2,989 of 3,220
Nice. I badly want to get into the DIYMOD thing, just no time at the moment :frowning2:.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #2,990 of 3,220
Nice. I badly want to get into the DIYMOD thing, just no time at the moment
frown.gif

I actually use it as an escape from running a 24/7 business. It's been fulfilling.

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #2,991 of 3,220
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what you guys thought to these?

http://uk.farnell.com/wima/mks2b042201f00kssd/cap-film-pet-2-2uf-50v-rad/dp/107422

Do you think they will be appropriate?

Thanks

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #2,992 of 3,220
Nice. I badly want to get into the DIYMOD thing, just no time at the moment
frown.gif

I actually use it as an escape from running a 24/7 business. It's been fulfilling.

I bet. I wanna make custom LODs as well.

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #2,995 of 3,220
I heard electrolytics are not that great for signals, can cause phase distortion.  Are there another way to DC block and keep a clean signal?  Maybe other types of caps sends more cleaner signal, yet blocking DC?  Also, keeping the cap value minimum(smaller caps) would keep the signal cleaner?  What value would that be?

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #2,996 of 3,220
  I heard electrolytics are not that great for signals, can cause phase distortion.  Are there another way to DC block and keep a clean signal?  Maybe other types of caps sends more cleaner signal, yet blocking DC?  Also, keeping the cap value minimum(smaller caps) would keep the signal cleaner?  What value would that be?

You can try film caps like wima, kemet. Suitable value should be 2.2uf to 4.7uf, depending on the amp's input impedance.

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #2,997 of 3,220
Should i go for 2.2uf or 3.3uf?

http://uk.farnell.com/wima/mks2b042201f00kssd/cap-film-pet-2-2uf-50v-rad/dp/107422

OR

http://uk.farnell.com/wima/mks2b043301h00kssd/cap-film-pet-3-3uf-50v-rad/dp/107423

Thanks for your help

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #2,998 of 3,220
  Should i go for 2.2uf or 3.3uf?

OR

http://uk.farnell.com/wima/mks2b043301h00kssd/cap-film-pet-3-3uf-50v-rad/dp/107423

Thanks for your help

I think you should try 2.2uf first :D. I don't think there should be any difference in sound, 2.2uf with smaller size will help you set it up easier.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #3,000 of 3,220
Wow, 7 years later and our thread is still going strong!! Haha.  I remember when this thread was only 1 page...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back