The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Mar 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #2,956 of 3,220
On another note. With an iMod or DIYmod, can I charge it off a wall charger? Been charging it on my laptop but want to. I know if I can plug it straight into the wall. Anyone have an answer? My iMod doesn't have internal caps.

Yes you can, I charge mine with an iPad wall charger.

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2,957 of 3,220
Awesome, thanks!

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #2,959 of 3,220
I haven't compared to much. I had a few drinks one night and compared a copper Alo iMod LOD with caps to a solid silver LOD without caps and it sounded better. No caps definitely sounded better. Clearer. But I believe the Fiio E17 has internal caps. Here is the view of an open E17.

asytyhap.jpg

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #2,960 of 3,220
I haven't compared to much. I had a few drinks one night and compared a copper Alo iMod LOD with caps to a solid silver LOD without caps and it sounded better. No caps definitely sounded better. Clearer. But I believe the Fiio E17 has internal caps. Here is the view of an open E17.

asytyhap.jpg

Thank you, then I will go this route. Because I own two 5.5th gen iPods, I will have one modded no caps and another with caps. That way I won't be wondering how different they sound.

Mar 10, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #2,961 of 3,220
Can't wait to hear your results! Truthfully, I can't tell much difference between my LOD and the headphone output on my iMod, and it may be due to my hearing loss. My iMod was done by Red Wine Audio. Though it does sound amazing with my DT880s 250ohm. :D I love it.

ratutara.jpg

Mar 10, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #2,962 of 3,220
Once I get home and have time, I'll pick p a few 5.5G iPods to mod and get into diying :D

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2,963 of 3,220
Can't wait to hear your results! Truthfully, I can't tell much difference between my LOD and the headphone output on my iMod, and it may be due to my hearing loss. My iMod was done by Red Wine Audio. Though it does sound amazing with my DT880s 250ohm. :D I love it.

ratutara.jpg

No, your hearing is fine. The iMod or DIYMod really doesn't make any difference. From my experience, I think DIYMod or iMod are all just hype. In my opinion, most people think that they heard something different are just a result of placebo effect especially that they shelled out money and time on the mod.

At first, I thought that I heard some difference with quality but I did not. No difference between an unmodded and modded.I have an unmodded iPod as a side by side comparison with my modded one.

It was fun to do the mod though.

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #2,964 of 3,220

ratutara.jpg

You should most definetly hear a difference between even a non imod line out and the headphone out.
The imod procedure only affects the line out so if you can't hear the difference between the headphone jack and an imod line out maybe you're hearing is damaged?

The ipod 5.5 has a pretty terrible headphone jack that even a sansa clip can easily surpass

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #2,965 of 3,220
No, your hearing is fine. The iMod or DIYMod really doesn't make any difference. From my experience, I think DIYMod or iMod are all just hype. In my opinion, most people think that they heard something different are just a result of placebo effect especially that they shelled out money and time on the mod.

At first, I thought that I heard some difference with quality but I did not. No difference between an unmodded and modded.I have an unmodded iPod as a side by side comparison with my modded one.

It was fun to do the mod though.

How did you diymod yours? Similar to the RWA iMod without lifting the lod pins off the board? What caps did you try? Did you try one without any caps for comparison? Also don't overlook the lod cable and amp. A transparent amp which does not color the sound will help to hear the difference more easily.

Even the lod cables make quite difference. To satisfy my curiosity I have tried so many different wires frequently mentioned by head-fi'ers . To my ears, no wires can compete with the cotton-dielectric silver wires from Homegrown Audio for my taste.

Or it could be that you may have hearing disability.
wink_face.gif

After going thru the diymod thing I came to understand how serious the bass rolloff is from ipod video's headphone out. I used to think the ipod video sounded pretty good from the HO.

Honestly if I were you who came to the same conclusion, I would have sure jumped on the boutique dap bandwagon long ago. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #2,966 of 3,220
I feel so great that I found this thread. I am planning to diymod but I have something to ask:
- I want to confirm which type of capacitors to use: polarized caps or non-polar/bipolar caps. I found that many people use Elna Silmic II caps while it is polarized. Beside Blackgate NX Hi-q are there any suitable non-polar/bipolar caps that you guys recommend? I am having Elna CE-BP and Nichicon Muse BP both 2.2uF 50V.

Sorry for my English.

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #2,970 of 3,220
After go through the beginning of the thread, I solved the problem with polarized caps.

By the way I have one more question: I don't understand what amp's "input impedance" means? I read that "home use with 10k input impendance" works with 4.7uf caps. With higher input impendance 2 uf caps work fine.

What's the disadvantage if I do not follow this? If I use 2uf caps with home amplifier with 10k input impendance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back