The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Feb 22, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #2,926 of 3,220
Hi everyone, iam doing my own IMOD for the 2nd ipod video 30GB. At begining, it work well. But after desoldering 2 Zcap near the DAC and turn on, it throw out this message:"www.apple.com/support/ipod". I continued to route wire to the pins dock then turn on again, the screen display same message.

Is my ipod broken? What can i do now?

Thank you

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #2,927 of 3,220
Hi everyone, iam doing my own IMOD for the 2nd ipod video 30GB. At begining, it work well. But after desoldering 2 Zcap near the DAC and turn on, it throw out this message:"www.apple.com/support/ipod". I continued to route wire to the pins dock then turn on again, the screen display same message.

Thank you

Sounds like your hard drive needs replacing.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #2,928 of 3,220

Thank you

Sounds like your hard drive needs replacing.

Either the drive or the ribbon cable, and my bet is on the ribbon cable. That ribbon cable can be fussy sometimes.

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #2,929 of 3,220
Hey guys, I'm looking to replace the 30 pin connector on my imod LOD because one of the locking prongs isn't popping back into place anymore. Can't for the life of me find a place where I can buy just one or two online. Does anyone know a good cheap source that ships to Canada? Thanks!

To be clear, the parts for this is what I'm looking for:

So, not assembled and looking like this:

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #2,930 of 3,220
  Hey guys, I'm looking to replace the 30 pin connector on my imod LOD because one of the locking prongs isn't popping back into place anymore. Can't for the life of me find a place where I can buy just one or two online. Does anyone know a good cheap source that ships to Canada? Thanks!

To be clear, the parts for this is what I'm looking for:

So, not assembled and looking like this:

Qables sell these.

http://www.qables.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=484

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #2,932 of 3,220

Either the drive or the ribbon cable, and my bet is on the ribbon cable. That ribbon cable can be fussy sometimes.

Thank you. I tried putting either to another original IPV and it still work well.

Now i know that only after i assembling the front cover + main to Back cover completely FIT, it work again like there is a switch on this back case. Because when i take the back case off or soldered 2 nichicon caps then assemble all toghether with a narrow cleft between front cover and the back one, the message "Apple.com/support/ipod" appear again). i then soldered 2 nichicon caps and put them inside (where battery is place and put the battery out side). 

The funny thing is when i replace the thin Back cover by the thick one (broken IPV 80GB) for fit this error come again  :frowning2:

has Anyone dealed with this trouble? How can i change my IPV back cover to the thick one?

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #2,933 of 3,220
I have changed quite a few IPV 30GB models with the thick back plates in order to fit the caps internally, and the thick plate of course shouldn't be the problem.

I suspect when you closed the back plate something is forced/tightened resulting some shifting of either the ribbon cable or the connection between the ribbon cable and the ZIF adapter. BTW, what drive do you use for the mod? Do you use the Tarkan and a CF?

With the Tarkan, I normally trim some along the edges of the adapter to avoid congestion with caps or unintended shifting once I close the back plate.

I do know that ribbon cable could be fussy sometimes, giving me that same error message or restore message.

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #2,934 of 3,220
Could anyone recommend any caps from the following website? http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/capacitors.html

I hope to be able to put them in the back of a 60gb ipod with an SD card conversion

Thanks

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #2,935 of 3,220
  Could anyone recommend any caps from the following website? http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/capacitors.html

I hope to be able to put them in the back of a 60gb ipod with an SD card conversion

Thanks

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/nes300-47uf-nichicon-type-ues1h4r7mem-p-5266.html

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #2,936 of 3,220
  I have changed quite a few IPV 30GB models with the thick back plates in order to fit the caps internally, and the thick plate of course shouldn't be the problem.

I suspect when you closed the back plate something is forced/tightened resulting some shifting of either the ribbon cable or the connection between the ribbon cable and the ZIF adapter. BTW, what drive do you use for the mod? Do you use the Tarkan and a CF?

With the Tarkan, I normally trim some along the edges of the adapter to avoid congestion with caps or unintended shifting once I close the back plate.

I do know that ribbon cable could be fussy sometimes, giving me that same error message or restore message.

Could your IPV boot normally without the back plate?

Iam still using it's original 30gb hdd and of course it work normaly at first. I planed to replace HDD by CF next week, but now it still display this message whether i assemble backplate or not.
I turned on Diagnostic mode and test all (except hp test).  And it stucked at Hard DRIVE INFO (didn't show any info). So i think the problem is in storage module or HDD+/Ribbon cable.

Also, the night before yesterday, i assemble all part and connect IPV to my amp, it play a song normaly but after surfing some other song, it didn't not play any of them (Just skipping from one to others continually). I thought it get error so i did reset ---> Error "www.apple.com/support/ipod" till now.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #2,938 of 3,220

Could your IPV boot normally without the back plate?

Iam still using it's original 30gb hdd and of course it work normaly at first. I planed to replace HDD by CF next week, but now it still display this message whether i assemble backplate or not.
I turned on Diagnostic mode and test all (except hp test).  And it stucked at Hard DRIVE INFO (didn't show any info). So i think the problem is in storage module or HDD+/Ribbon cable.

Also, the night before yesterday, i assemble all part and connect IPV to my amp, it play a song normaly but after surfing some other song, it didn't not play any of them (Just skipping from one to others continually). I thought it get error so i did reset ---> Error "www.apple.com/support/ipod" till now.

It sounds like you have a bad HDD and/or ribbon cable connection.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #2,940 of 3,220
Thank everyone! , I replaced a new ribbon cable and it's fixed. I ordered & iam waiting for Komputer bay SDXC 128GB card & Tarkan SDXC adapter layed in my IPV  
rolleyes.gif

Guys! Could your IPV boot normally without the back cover? My remaining problem now is just my IPV didn't not accept new thick back cover, even i tried changing the 2 thick ones. I Checked and nothing is shifted or pushed, moved. Its original thin back cover even push and make higher pressure on the board (plus the thickness of diy wires)  
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back