The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jan 19, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #2,896 of 3,220
Guys if you want to test the mod completely free of caps, you need to make sure the following ....

1. Your amp is able to handle the dc offset, regardless of how your amp is designed with or without dc blocking caps
2. No dc offset from amp's output to iem's or headphones.

By the way, I again measured the dc offsets from apple's lod and the numbers were like 1.5 volts. My measured dc offset from the amp to my iem's is zero.To produce the cleanest sound possible, I also disconnected the headphone jack from the board (wrap the cable end with some electrical tape). If connected,  the board would be still feeding the audio to the headphone jack and it would still draw power from the battery. As much as I want to remove more unnecessary components from the board, unfortunately I have no idea about what/how to remove.

So this is the cleanest audio path we can get with this mod, also the most power efficient for the battery. Now I don't know if this is placebo or not, but I am now hearing the most neutral, transparent and cleanest sound ever, after I tested it with a few tracks (symphonies and orchestral work) which I consider the most muddy prone due to the nature of the music composed.

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #2,897 of 3,220
Sorry man to hear about this but you are a lucky guy for having a girl friend like her.

Maybe having more exercises or some therapy will help you?
It's not that bad it just shakes enough to where it's difficult to do pencil like activities

Yeah I'm lucky for sure, and she's slowly developing audiophile tendencies lol

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #2,898 of 3,220
Looking into the matter further, my suspicions were confirmed. It is well-documented that the iPod 4G, as well as the 5G and mini, uses the PortalPlayer System on Chip (SoC) PP5020. Thanks to Generations - wikiPodLinux , the PP5020's datasheet confirms that SPDIF/I2S is being employed in these iPods. Check CommsDesign - Find out what's really inside the iPod also for some good information. At any rate, this confirms that digital out is possible for the iPod, you just need to get creative in figuring out how to get it.

Did anyone manage to impliment spdif in the end - sounds good solution to me ??

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #2,900 of 3,220
Ant ipod 5th user with sd card conversion?

I have a Kingston 128gb but the write is terrible! 1 to 2 mb/s

Any ideas??

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #2,902 of 3,220

Try boot it to Apple's OF and write it from disk mode. That will help.

I didn't use the exclusive disk mode but the Apple OF. I got close to 1.8m but nothing better.

Im not sure if its better to remove the SD and use it in the macbook for music transfer….

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #2,905 of 3,220
Hi guys.

Do you have a link to the 128gb sd cards you are using?

Also can anyone recommend caps you can get in the UK?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-SDX10V-128GB-Extended/dp/B0090J5XLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391799140&sr=8-1&keywords=128gb+sd

https://www.hificollective.co.uk

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #2,906 of 3,220
I've got a bit of a problem with an iPod Im trying to repair!

The plastic 'cap' (I have no idea how its called in english) that secures the LCD flex popped out. Both ends are fine but it seems so fragile that I don't know how to put it back... is there are know trick/way?

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #2,907 of 3,220
  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-SDX10V-128GB-Extended/dp/B0090J5XLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391799140&sr=8-1&keywords=128gb+sd

https://www.hificollective.co.uk

Thanks for a link to the Caps.... which ones are you using from that website?

Also does anyone see any reason why i cant fit a 60gb back to a 30gb ipod to accomodate the large caps?

Thanks

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #2,908 of 3,220
Thanks for a link to the Caps.... which ones are you using from that website?

Also does anyone see any reason why i cant fit a 60gb back to a 30gb ipod to accomodate the large caps?

Thanks

Yes you can use the thicker one. (Free space depend on the cap. I also use the sd conversion)

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #2,910 of 3,220
  Thanks for your help.

Just wondering what amps people recommend to go with this?

LOD to Fiio E18?

Would that be suitable?

Thanks

I highly recommend the UHA-6S.MK2 which is very neutral and transparent. Also this amp can handle your diymod with or without caps even tho the amp has no dc coupling caps in the audio path.

I only us the amp for iem's, no cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back