The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jul 15, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #1,231 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by dumbears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. mod the phone-out caps.
Then, it comes to mod the phone-out caps by replacing the original 100uF caps to 220uF.
P1020868.jpg

We don't see this part on the picture.
Could you make another photo please ?

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #1,232 of 3,220
Hi Guy's just wondering if anyone has used the mixer outs 3 & 4 on a 5G video or even if they are enabled?
I like using the DSP of the DAC for room correction at low volume but the voltage on the HP outs is only 1V and I bi-amp!
I have a buffer in there to help out but I would prefer the 1.5V of the line-outs but with DSP... Am I right that these are usable this way?
confused.gif

Any thoughts chaps?

TTFN

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #1,233 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, dumbears. I find it interesting that you'd change the headphone coupling caps. I think that's a thread first. Thanks for sharing that with us. How has it affected the headphone out signal?

Theoretically, the bass roll-off should be minimized on those low-ohm headphones by the well-known formula 1/(2*pi*R*C). However, I can't hear any differences between the unmodded and modded ones. I have 3 1st Gen iPod Mini's, so I still can make comparison among them. Perhaps, my UM2 aren't run-in yet. Moreover, I bet switching to BG may better serve this case. I'm using tant caps, which should be avoided, according to many of you. I wish I can find enough space inside the chassis of the iPod Mini.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bidoux
We don't see this part on the picture.
Could you make another photo please ?

See this then. The caps are next to the WM8731.
ModdedPOCaps.jpg

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #1,235 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by bidoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you Dumbears. Will I have to replace both of them ?
Does the sound still go out through the headphone jack ?
Is the modification for Line Out or for the headphone jack ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, you've to replace both, one for the left and the other for the right. The sound will still go out thru headphone jack. Only if you don't mind losing a few US dollars and time, it's risk-free to do the swapping. You should've some experience in soldering though.

To your last question, this is only to mod the phone-out. The line-out modding is comparatively more difficult to work out.

Hope the above info helps.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #1,236 of 3,220
dumbears,

You don't notice any change after replacing the caps? I had the same idea, but some folks here didn't think it would make a difference. I keep meaning to do it anyway, but I haven't touched my soldering iron for weeks now
frown.gif
Too damn busy lately.

If it worked on the Mini I was planning to do it to my Video as well when I finally decide to open it and mod it.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #1,237 of 3,220
Thank you a lot dumbears i will probably try this. A last question, do you think the sound through a line out is different from the sound through the line out with this DIY mod ?
Sorrry for the English.

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #1,238 of 3,220
Hey, I think we've stumbled upon a new chapter of the diyMod where people will start replacing their HP out caps. Sweet. Now we can investigate audiophile SMD caps. Thanks for getting the ball rolling, dumbears.

*crosses fingers and hopes he's not getting ahead of himself*

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #1,239 of 3,220
Here is an interesting article from Wolfson on AC coupling capacitor selection, which shared by bichi: http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/...en/WAN0176.pdf.

BTW, these are the caps used: KEMET 220uF/4V +/-20% CASE B T520B227M004ATE045. Of course, there're another AVX caps 220uF/2.5V +/-10% CASE B installed over in my another iPod Mini. Don't ask me for the differences, just read my name. :p I hope I can get my ears trained up one day.

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #1,240 of 3,220
I modded my HP out some time ago so that I could still use the ipod's volume control and DSP for room correction but I basically took the signal straight off the DAC using the DC coupled configuration.
wink.gif

This is what makes me wonder about the OUT3&4 pins... If I could do the same with those outputs I would have the full 1.5V or even more... there is a boost option in the DAC .... but I'm not going to go reprogramming that!! Way beyond my abilities or understanding
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #1,241 of 3,220
Hey guys. I am debating whether or not to DiyMod my 5.5Gen 80 Gig iPod Video. If I do DiyMod the Lineout at the Dock Connector, The Headphone Out should retain all of its functionality (i.e. Volume up/down etc.) right? And what kind of Capacitors are going to give me the best sound quality? And Is it possible to fit the Caps into the csing of my iPod or does it have to be externally connected? And if I do DiyMod my iPod it won't work with Docking speakers because of the missing Caps right? Thanks in advance.

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #1,242 of 3,220
How flattering that you'd sign up just to post in this thread. Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Headphone functionality

If you do it the way specified on the front page, then you should retain the headphone jack signal.

Capacitor SQ

That ultimately comes down to the overall sound of your rig. What headphones (/amp/cables/other accessories) are you using? I love my diyMod 4G with Black Gate NX Hi-Q 47uF 6.3V to PIMETA with AD8620/AD8610 + TREAD through my rescreened Grado Labs SR60s with Canare Star Quad recable, Grado Labs Jumbo Pads with glue mod and sticky tack driver mod. I was told at a meet that my headphones sounded better than another member's GS1Ks, but again, it all completely comes down to your sound preference and rig.

Short answer goes something like "Find the sound you like on your rig. I like the BG NX Hi-Q 47uF 6.3V in my system."

Internal Capacitor

It depends on what caps you want to use and what other mods you've done to your iPod. gueri_fr proved to us that internal caps was a possible option when you did the CF mod. So far as I know, others have not been able to reproduce the internal caps, but we never say 'die' in DIY, do we?
cool.gif
If you somehow figure another way, do share with us.

Docking Speakers

They won't work unless there is some method of keeping the DC from getting to the speaker. It boils down to each speaker docking station, so one can't really say for sure. Generally, I would say they wouldn't have that protection because there isn't a threat of DC being in the signal with the stock iPods, but again, you can never really say for sure. Why don't you open your speaker dock and find out?
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #1,244 of 3,220
OK, had a probe around the OUT3 & 4 and they are muted on my video so using VMID for the dc coupled 'buffered' output on HP is the only route..... Pity
frown.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #1,245 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by no_eye_dear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, had a probe around the OUT3 & 4 and they are muted on my video so using VMID for the dc coupled 'buffered' output on HP is the only route..... Pity
frown.gif

I don't understand. What is VMID?
So you are saying the line out on pins 3 and 4 of the dock connector are muted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back