The Apple diyMod: My Take on the Famous iMod [56k killer] Featuring 3G, 4G, 5G and nano 1G!
Jul 8, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #1,216 of 3,220
If it's any consolation, the tone arm wire is probably still several times the copper traces alloted to the line out on the board. I use 30 AWG, and it's still much larger compared to what's given to the DAC pre-diyMod. As usual, remember to secure your wires and to not lift any pads.

Jul 9, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #1,217 of 3,220
all right, I've done the mod and it looks successful, but for the life of me I can't get the battery charging ribbon to go back into place. What is the trick that I am doing wrong!!!! iPod 5G Video btw.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #1,218 of 3,220
Nevermind, got it. I thought it was a lever... more like a button.

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #1,219 of 3,220
Allrighty, I completed the mod, and I wanted to check and make sure things were all right.

First of all, the diyMod still plays music through both the headphone out and the LOD, so all's good there. The click will is a little recessed/loose, but I don't really see how there is a lot to do there.

Second, I have an old LOD that I was using with my Mini3 before the mod; doesn't have the BGs in it, obv. I wanted to check what the DC offset was with the interior caps removed. I got about 1.5V plugging up the LOD and checking the ground versus the signal. I then used my LOD --> RCA cable with the BGs and took another reading. It also started out at 1.5 V but steadily decreased towards zero slowly. I'm assuming this is due to the caps having to charge at extremely low currents (through the multimeter). Question is, how fast do those caps charge in circuit? When using an amp like the Mini3, with no relay and no decoupling caps, how long should I have to wait before plugging in my cans? I'm assuming it's very short if any at all because of the tiny capacitance in the BG (using the 47uF NX Hi-Q series caps)?

Thanks for the advice, and the mod already sounds pretty good!

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #1,221 of 3,220
It's good to know that your mod is up and running. Hope you enjoy it!

As for the caps, I couldn't really tell you how long to wait; you should test that yourself. Stopwatch, DMM, measure, done.

(Sorry, we've been watching lots of "The F Word" and other Chef Ramsay shows around here lately.)

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #1,222 of 3,220
Update: This is a really nice sounding mod! I had a LOD made already for my Millet Max, but I just made one yesterday for my Mini^3. Sounds very good already... can't wait for a good burn in on this LOD. Also (finally) got a pair of KSC75s for my portable rig. Haven't had chance to recable them yet, but they already sound surprisingly good in this portable rig.

Excellent mod, guys!

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #1,223 of 3,220
Good news, everyone. I got my iPod touch open.
smily_headphones1.gif

The sad news is that I have a tennis tournament with some friends this weekend, so I won't actually be doing any diyModding for a while. I will make sure to take lots of high res, macro shots. *crosses fingers*

That is all.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #1,225 of 3,220
As far as I know, the battery is just shot. It works, it's just that the battery doesn't hold a charge. Just looking at the battery, it seems like it's especially puffy as though it were inflated like a balloon. Luckily, the University MicroStore sold its soul to Apple and carries items like iPod batteries. I don't know what could have gone wrong with your iPod though, barqy. Sorry I can't be any more help than that.

And for other iPod touch owners, if you're also having trouble opening the unit, my advice is to start opening from the top, right in between the power button and the Wifi antenna. From there, work your way down the length on either side with a precision flat head screwdriver and slowly shift. At least, that's the cruel, strong-arm method I used. If it's any consolation, replacement back panels and front bezels go for about 20 USD + shipping on eBay, so it's not all that costly to replace it. Then again, it's not all that costly to be careful while you're working. If I ever get this thing done, I wonder what kind of resale value it would even have. I guess I ought to evaluate its sound first. Anyway, I must entertain the guests now. Toodles.

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #1,226 of 3,220
After lots and lots of talks and thoughts, I finally put my words into actions on my 1st Generation iPod Mini:
1. replace the battery and HD
2. mod the phone-out caps.
3. mod the line-out.

First of all, I must thank everyone's distribution in this thread, esp. joneeboi and FallenAngel.

Now, here are the photos:
The easiest are to replace the battery and HD of my iPod Mini.
P1020873.jpg

Then, it comes to mod the phone-out caps by replacing the original 100uF caps to 220uF.
P1020868.jpg

The most difficult part is to mod the line-out.
P1020862.jpg

While I was blowing off the dusts of the iPod Mini, I suddenly got my caps blown away. Can anyone tell me the values of those caps, which I've taken out next to the line-out circuit? Thanks!

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #1,227 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by dumbears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I was blowing off the dusts of the iPod Mini, I suddenly got my caps blown away. Can anyone tell me the values of those caps, which I've taken out next to the line-out circuit? Thanks!

Grats on the mod! Sounds like you got a nice little player there now
biggrin.gif

I don't have a 1st gen so I can't help with identifying the missing parts. I suggest you post another picture with the missing parts circled so someone with a 1st gen can look at theirs.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #1,228 of 3,220
Hello world,

My first post. I wanted to know if it is possible to do the DIymod in a Ipod Mini ?

Sorry for the bad english and if it was already asked.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: SOrry it is explained up there.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #1,229 of 3,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grats on the mod! Sounds like you got a nice little player there now
biggrin.gif

I don't have a 1st gen so I can't help with identifying the missing parts. I suggest you post another picture with the missing parts circled so someone with a 1st gen can look at theirs.

Thank you! How stupid I am. I forgot to tell which caps I'd lost. Here is the photo. It's the cap in the red box.
MissingCaps.jpg

Pls help to identify the cap used in the red box as well as its size. It's really super tiny. Thanks!

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #1,230 of 3,220
Congrats, dumbears. I find it interesting that you'd change the headphone coupling caps. I think that's a thread first. Thanks for sharing that with us. How has it affected the headphone out signal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back