The Antelope Zodiac / Zodiac + / Zodiac Gold DAC Thread
Aug 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #377 of 529
For those uses, at 3K (including Voltikus), it's among the best I've tried.

That works for me, given the reviews, comments here, and their aesthetic appeal, I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger. Much thanks. :)

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #379 of 529
He seems to be out of sorts lately. IMO, he has an agenda with a certain category of products, the mid-fi range, and he's really pitching them. I can understand that, it's a fast growing segment. However, after working with the Bifrost and listening to it, I can't see where he gets so much enthusiasm for it. Yeah, it's good for the price, but to say it's some kind of giant killer is way off the mark. In that price range I'd pick the Little Dot DAC_I; better functionality, more features (Balanced output), greater compatibility, and (IMO) a more musical presentation. So, as some have pointed out, the Schiit's not even best in it's own class, which leaves me with serious reservations about it trouncing an upper tier product (the Zodiac) designed by one of the most respected companies in the field.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #380 of 529
Got the Gold yesterday.

One word: Epic

More words later, working on the review.

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #382 of 529
Quote:
Got the Gold yesterday.
One word: Epic
More words later, working on the review.

Nice to hear, for 3k includning the voltikus its a real steal!
Looking forward for a review. 
L3000.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #383 of 529
Actually $3200 with shipping and all that, but it's still a good deal.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #384 of 529
[size=10pt]Hi people.[/size]

[size=10pt]I am in the market for a new DAC and have been hearing yonder and hither that Antelope will be unlocking 384 KHz in USB for their whole range of DACs (i.e. + and Silver). Have you heard something similar?[/size]

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #385 of 529
Where did you hear about the unlocking the sampling rate? That would be added bonus for + and silver owners for future proofing.

The zodiac is a great DAC but reaches its full potential after a long burn in period. so I would suggest auditioning a burned in unit if possible. I am estimating mine took 800-1000 hours before the sound settled. There were times during the burn-in period where sound was bright/edgy/digital/fatiguing at times, but after burning in, it is now consistently smooth and enjoyable with a great tonal balance and a nice depth and dimensionality to the soundstage.

Aftermarket PSU (welborne for me) and right pairing of power cord (I settled on an entry-level synergistic research PC) made a big difference as well.

Oct 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #386 of 529
Where did you hear about the unlocking the sampling rate? That would be added bonus for + and silver owners for future proofing.

The zodiac is a great DAC but reaches its full potential after a long burn in period. so I would suggest auditioning a burned in unit if possible. I am estimating mine took 800-1000 hours before the sound settled. There were times during the burn-in period where sound was bright/edgy/digital/fatiguing at times, but after burning in, it is now consistently smooth and enjoyable with a great tonal balance and a nice depth and dimensionality to the soundstage.

Aftermarket PSU (welborne for me) and right pairing of power cord (I settled on an entry-level synergistic research PC) made a big difference as well.

Thanks for the detailed reply mate. I really appreciate it. As for the upgrade in the USB input, I am still waiting some official confirmation from the guy that brought it up. As soon as I get it'I 'll let you know. In the meantime I have another question, if you don't mind. My understanding is that zodiac silver and plus are the same in regards to analog output, clock etc and differ in regards to additional digital outputs, wc in etc for the plus. Am I correct?
Thanks for your time

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #387 of 529
Hello,I've been looking for an all in one solution for Sennheiser hd-800, fostex th900 and Grado 325i and i couldn't find an amp or a Dac that will suit all 3 pairs.On top of that i didn't want to buy any extra cables or tubes because as i said just wanted a simple answer for all 3 of them.Do you think the Gold would be it? Does this unit a panacea from any further sleep deprivation and the amp part of it as good as a Dac? Or should i think towards buying Nad m51 or Mytek 192 and look for an amp that is good for all 3 pairs? Also,i don't want to go balanced,meaning re cable my headphones.My budget is 3000-3500$ max and it's the last money i have:) Thanks in advance for your response.I love the fact that i can hook up 2 pairs simultaneously.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #388 of 529
Thanks for the detailed reply mate. I really appreciate it. As for the upgrade in the USB input, I am still waiting some official confirmation from the guy that brought it up. As soon as I get it'I 'll let you know. In the meantime I have another question, if you don't mind. My understanding is that zodiac silver and plus are the same in regards to analog output, clock etc and differ in regards to additional digital outputs, wc in etc for the plus. Am I correct?
Thanks for your time

Its my understanding that SQ of silver and plus is same but the plus has extra connections - analog in for preamp use, word clock input, aes/ebu, and jitter digital out. The only extra option I've used is the jitter out, which oddly enough, adds a bit of the zodiac sound sig to my external dac.

Apparently, the gold has improved SQ because of its improved analog stage, which has me curious whether mods to my plus would be worthwhile, something like the tube mods done by modwright.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #389 of 529
Hello,I've been looking for an all in one solution for Sennheiser hd-800, fostex th900 and Grado 325i and i couldn't find an amp or a Dac that will suit all 3 pairs.On top of that i didn't want to buy any extra cables or tubes because as i said just wanted a simple answer for all 3 of them.Do you think the Gold would be it? Does this unit a panacea from any further sleep deprivation and the amp part of it as good as a Dac? Or should i think towards buying Nad m51 or Mytek 192 and look for an amp that is good for all 3 pairs? Also,i don't want to go balanced,meaning re cable my headphones.My budget is 3000-3500$ max and it's the last money i have:) Thanks in advance for your response.I love the fact that i can hook up 2 pairs simultaneously.

I haven't tried your headphones with the zodiac but my inclination is that zodiac pairs well with warmer headphones, but I may be wrong. The hd650s and lcd2s are a great match in my system. Regarding all in one solution, I've found the headphone out allows me " hear the dac" in terms of its accuracy and tonal balance, but seems to lack the presence and engagement compared to analog out to my tube amp (a humble ear max).

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #390 of 529
Quote:
I haven't tried your headphones with the zodiac but my inclination is that zodiac pairs well with warmer headphones, but I may be wrong. The hd650s and lcd2s are a great match in my system. Regarding all in one solution, I've found the headphone out allows me " hear the dac" in terms of its accuracy and tonal balance, but seems to lack the presence and engagement compared to analog out to my tube amp (a humble ear max).

Thank you,i think that answers my question.Therefore i might look for a cheaper Dac + amp solution.I was hoping that this unit is an outstanding amp/dac unit but i suppose it's more of a  Dac then.I did notice now that most of the people talk about it as Dac and don't call it an Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back