The Antelope Zodiac / Zodiac + / Zodiac Gold DAC Thread
Feb 27, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #92 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorcilantro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What chip are these DACs based on with 192db SNR?

DC

here he says they use the 1794A

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clybourne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burr Brown PCM1792A

which is funny cause the TI paper on that chip says it has a SNR of 132dB
confused_face(1).gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #94 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorcilantro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I meant 129db.

ah...i shoulda checked on that one. Makes more sense now, 192dB seemed a little ridiculous lol that would require 32 real bits

Edit: 1000th post!! woot
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #96 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by fradoca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
new kids on the block :

zodiac_rubicon

still i don't know the price but i think this is really serious gear

Kids, this is why you need to go to college & get a education.. To afford stuff like this.. Sorry foe being morbid, but a relative would have to die before I could afford their 'entry' model.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #97 of 529
This is sooo extreme..
Too much cash
confused.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #98 of 529
I have been looking at the Modwright Transporter although I have a new Sabre 9018 based DAC. I'm looking for something with word clock input and headphone outputs so this, well the Zodiac+ may fit the bill. The Modwright sounds incredible according to reviews and my amigo.

Same it's another 1K for an IR remote although PSU is improved - but says optional.

DC

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #99 of 529
Mod Wright seems a lot safer route than this antelope. 192db.. What is this for? This is purely marketing hype that adds placebo as the basis for the product development.

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #101 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mod Wright seems a lot safer route than this antelope. 192db.. What is this for? This is purely marketing hype that adds placebo as the basis for the product development.

They do make great clocks, however overpriced they are.

If I buy a Modwright Transporter, I still need a headamp like the Grace m902 I was considering. that's a lot of cash. The Zodiac +, if it has a good output stage, could be the ticket.

The Modwright is incredible, but no analog volume, no headphone, it does have word clock input however.

DC

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #102 of 529
If you have that much to spend on dac, I'd seriously consider Ayre. They won the 2009 stereophile award for a reason.

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #104 of 529
At RMAF (2009), there was an Ayre QB9 (of course, hooked up via USB), and a Lavry DA11 (hooked up to the same laptop via optical), and all but one or two people I saw comparing the two preferred the Lavry DA11. Even those who were fully expecting the QB9 to come out on top who heard both preferred the Lavry in that system. (The system was a MacBook Pro-->DAC-->Raptor-->Sennheiser HD800.)

Yes, the QB9 is prettier, and it did sound very good. But the Lavry DA11 had more of everything to my ears, and was definitely more articulate. No it's not the prettiest thing on the planet (although the DA11's recent cosmetic upgrade helps in this regard).

I actually think I may pick up a second DA11.

I have heard the Antelope Audio Zodiac+, and had it in my system for a while (a pre-production unit). I'm not exactly sure when it's going to be released. I expect I'll be hearing a production unit when it's available, and I'll say more about it then. I'll only say now that the pre-production Zodiac+ was excellent, and supported up to 24/192 from my MacBook Pro, my Mac auto-switching between 16/44.1, 24/88, 24/96, 24/176 and 24/192 via Amarra. (The pre-production unit that was here was early enough pre-production that I expect it could be different from what will be released for sale.)

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #105 of 529
I'm torn between my planned dual DAC setup; grace m902 and a cuurently broken sabre 9018 based tube dac.

I may have to just try the Zodiac+ and forgo these plans, and a remote control.

Thanks Jude. The DA11 interested me but not sure. I did own a da10 and ad10 which I did like quite a bit.

Dc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back