The Antelope Zodiac / Zodiac + / Zodiac Gold DAC Thread
Jul 26, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #166 of 529
Resurrecting this because I am curious and haven't heard much out of head-fiers about it recently?

Docotor how are your impressions of the Zodiac?  

Anyone else out there try it out, or purchase it recently?

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #167 of 529
I tried Zodiac+ demo unit with my HD800. Zodiac+ sounded very nice. I have never heead such level of precision on my HD800. 
Especially USB performance is the best I ever tried.

But I am wondering if Zodiac actually use USB class driver in the OS.
I have tried zodiac+ with no driver installed and I found my Windows7 shared mode property shows 192/24. (need UH1 mode engaged)
I also have tried 176/24 with Foobar/wasapi and Zodiac locks as 176 for sure.
Does the custom USB circuit works to support over 96/24?

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #168 of 529
When is Antelope planning to release the base Zodiac?

It should sound roughly identical playing 44.1/16 as with the Plus and Gold, correct?

How does the integrated amplifier compare to stand-alone units in the sub-$1000 range? Is it the same amp for all three models?

Would driving a separate balanced amplifier from the XLR-outs with balanced headphones sound significantly better than the single-ended headphone out in the front with unbalanced headphones?

Aug 2, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #169 of 529
I still don't understand why there is no big time review of any of these Antelope Zodiac units.  It looks like the Holy Grail for headphone users but.............still no big review.

K

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #172 of 529
So far the only review I really found was here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Antelope-Zodiac-Arrived

quoted from that thread from a guy who did comparisons....
"

Here are some of my opinions/answers to the rest:

1. The tests were done on usb and able to show 24/192 or 176 for the relevant file. I wouldn't know about the upsampling but it is detecting the correct bitrate for sure.

The sample rate changes automatically. However, I do note that the owner did play each file in isolation (no playlist), so not sure if that affects anything.

I took it that it was working as it is, and did not question any further.

2. How it sounds - like I mentioned, I have a hard time doing a fair comparison to the dac due to the usb cable and adapter issue. The owner's previous dac was a benchmark dac-1 pre, and the sound character is quite different. Let's take this as a base line. I'll list some impressions which I hope helps some.

In my listening session the Zodiac+ does feel open sounding and presence is fine.. tonally sounds rather neutral. I feel the benchmark does have its own sound, hence the difference. The owner was not quite used to the Zodiac in the system so had to take awhile to adjust (or more tweaking to come).

Overall, those present felt the benchmark is more precise of the two for 16/44.1 (all-around and especially in bass) - albeit being brighter - and that there is less dynamics from the Zodiac. Generally it is felt that the Zodiac has a more forgiving type of sound and may match more systems.

But as I mentioned, it's not a fair comparison as the benchmark ran on a Locus usb and ESP power cord (we hooked this to the Zodiac adapter) which in total made the 'benchmark setup' cost more than the Zodiac.

Where the Zodiac impressed me more was on hi-res files where it really had a significant improvement in SQ, and this should be the reason why you would want to buy one.

For 16/44, I would put it in the same class as others of similar price range really.. such as the Naim DAC. Not a significant upgrade (if at all) from DACs like the w4s or benchmark, but offering more features - especially on the hi-res front which may be worth it to some.

Having said that though, when the Locus usb adapter (my friend sent a request for one) arrives, a better power adapter comes, and the Zodiac is more run-in.. maybe all thse impressions could be moot. Hence, final impressions remain to be confirmed. I can only imagine the Zodiac sounding better once we solve these issues due to the Zodiac's oddities and are able to perform a more proper comparison.

"

Interesting, in summary he feels its the same as a benchmark for redbook but for hi-res it is spectacular........

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #174 of 529
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Antelope-Zodiac-Arrived?page=1

Looks like someone else here has received their antelope, hopefully they will have more impressions on the DAC and the headphone out.  

Aug 28, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #175 of 529

Quote:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Antelope-Zodiac-Arrived?page=1

Looks like someone else here has received their antelope, hopefully they will have more impressions on the DAC and the headphone out.  

That would be nice. While doing my research I ran across those pieces and they definitely caught my eye.

Not trying to pass gossip but my research has yielded me the fact that a Mr. Igor, previously owner of Aardvark Audio, is behind this company. I have no idea if that means anything to anyone or not. I was never fully clear what happened to Aardvark Audio or why they went down.

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #176 of 529
Plenty of threads on gearslutz on Ardvark. Conscensus seemed to be that they made great gear even though they really gave no warning about going under. Black Lion audio competes with them and they have told me firsthand the guy is a brilliant designer. I think we need to stick to how the unit performs in comparision to other units. I'm still hoping to setup a listening session with some friends soon, with some other DACs.

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #177 of 529

Quote:
Plenty of threads on gearslutz on Ardvark. Conscensus seemed to be that they made great gear even though they really gave no warning about going under. Black Lion audio competes with them and they have told me firsthand the guy is a brilliant designer. I think we need to stick to how the unit performs in comparision to other units. I'm still hoping to setup a listening session with some friends soon, with some other DACs.

Sure that's fine. I wasn't trying to stir up controversy or suggest anything up or down. I'll be quite interested to see how this thread unfolds.
smile.gif

Aug 29, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #178 of 529
Not too many people want to take the $2500.00 dollar gamble on the Zodiac+, I wonder how much better it is than the Zodiac that is $1495.00.  There is also some stiff competition in this price range with all the sabre chip based dacs hitting the market. 

Aug 29, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #179 of 529
I actually had one on order a year ago at the first release date.  I waited for a month and they pushed it back, I got my deposit back and started looking elsewhere and they went and released the more expensive one first....$2500 model.  At this point I have all but lost interest.

If I spend any where near 2K its going to be the top of the line Audiogd.

One thing I noticed about the sparse reviews is that they say very little about how it sounds, I mean most of the info is about the hardware looks, feel, etc.  usually if a Dac blows someone away they rant on and on about sonics.

Making people wait just lets them explore and find alternatives....so I guess I should thank them.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #180 of 529
The guy on computer audiophile updated his impressions today:

"Well, after a day or two more of break in I listened again last night fairly intently. The DAC is very detailed and resolving but I can’t shake the sense that it is too sterile or atonal at this point. I am thinking that further break in is a distinct possibility, but also that the USB implementation might not be as good as firewire for two reasons:
*First, the USB cable looks to be a cheap stock cable (and uses a mini b at the DAC end so any of my better USB cables are not candidates without an adapter). I’ve emailed with Lee at CryoCables and he has offered to send me a decent adapter he says does little damage, but also has produced the Polestar USB in mini b version..but it’s $230 for a cable I’m not sure I’ll use long term (i.e if I don't keep this DAC)
*Second, the USB implementation is not an asynch one (like Gordon’s, etc) and although I assume Antelope knows a thing or two about timing and jitter I am wondering if the USB signal path is the best. So…

I did a little experiment last night. I used the Weiss DAC2 to convert firewire to AES. Then used my nice budget-but-valued DH Labs D-100 AES digital cable to input to the Antelope DAC. The sound is way more organic, better tonality in the all-important midrange, and reminds me of the Metric Halo (detailed but organic). This experiment, of course, does bring up the variable of conversion…..I’ve no idea what level of fw-to-AES I’m doing and what signature, if any, is being imparted by the Weiss (which has been noted many times as having a sweet albeit possibly exaggerated midrange)…I assume a very high level that is commensurate with the something like the Weiss INT202 converter (and more than a Hiface or something like that). To me, if this is the solution it is more complex and likely as expensive or more so than the Metric Halo solution. but this is all conjecture at this point...all of 48 hrs into my eval."  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back