The Antelope Zodiac / Zodiac + / Zodiac Gold DAC Thread
Mar 30, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #136 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clybourne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's fine and well. We put de-jittered outs on the Zodiac for people who have other DAC's they might prefer. But, how could you know that another DAC is actually better, if you haven't compared them? Just curious.

i guess i dont know for sure. the main draw for the zodiac would be that it uses your clocking technology, but if one were going to buy a better version of your clocking tech anyways, i guess it kind of defeats the purpose for me. and i know i should wait and listen before i decide, and that implementation is everything, but your dac uses a delta sigma chip...

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #137 of 529
Everything in the Zodiac is custom, the digital circuit, the analog circuit and the USB circuit, as well of course the clock circuit. The unit has Trinity level re-clocking, yes, but it's even more effective when it's fed the 10M Atomic clock and the only way to do that at present is through the Trinity.

Marcel

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i guess i dont know for sure. the main draw for the zodiac would be that it uses your clocking technology, but if one were going to buy a better version of your clocking tech anyways, i guess it kind of defeats the purpose for me. and i know i should wait and listen before i decide, and that implementation is everything, but your dac uses a delta sigma chip...

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #138 of 529
It's not that far off now. This would have to go a long way to beat the QB-9 and a decent amp I'm guessing.

And the big question. How about the Gold version w/a separate power supply. Way cool.

K

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #139 of 529
Quote:

Everything in the Zodiac is custom, the digital circuit, the analog circuit and the USB circuit, as well of course the clock circuit. The unit has Trinity level re-clocking, yes, but it's even more effective when it's fed the 10M Atomic clock and the only way to do that at present is through the Trinity.

Marcel

Does the GOLD come w/ a power supply built-in and the option to use an external; that really isn't clear from the site? I know it adds the remote control option.

DC

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #142 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spec wise, is there a dac chip that betters the SABRE32? If so, in what dac?

the chip in the MSB Dac IV has a SNR of 140 db and a dynamic range of 136 a weighted. and that beats even the ESS 9018 running in mono mode, not to mention its a ladder dac, not a sigma delta chip. unfortunately i couldnt find the specs for the ring dac dcs uses

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #143 of 529
Kudos to Cly for fielding all of our questions and doubts! Though many of us may be more or less skeptical, I think at bottom most of us have faith that the Zodiac series will sound somewhere between great and amazing--it's just a matter of discovering if it will sound great or amazing in the way we personally like. Audiophiles (especially at head-fi) are a tough crowd, and not willing to accept gear just because of a high price tag. I would definitely love to get my hands on any of the gear Antelope puts out to try myself some day!

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #144 of 529
We have to consider many things when choosing a DAC chip, such as how long will it be in production and available for high production runs. Also, how well it operates at various sampling rates and auto-switches. The Zodiac+ can lock to, ground isolate, buffer and de-jitter any digital audio signal from 32-192Hz (The Gold up to 384Hz) and this requires the best possible match of components. But, yes we're still using the Burr Brown chip.

We're still deciding whether the power supply will be optional or included. What are your thoughts? Should the price be higher and considered a given that people will definitely want the better power supply at the Gold level?

Our clocks have proven that in modern-day converters, the weakest link is in fact the clocking. I've been to so many professional studios where once the engineer hears the converters they're using with better clocks, they no longer feel the need to upgrade converters. I've also seen many sell "higher quality" converters and just still to a more stable solution with their software platform and get the clocks.

But, taste is indeed a matter of preference and as I said before, sometimes clarity isn't going to be what you desire. I can completely see some guys loving Zodiac+ and Gold for acoustic music and more detailed styles of rock. But, may desire to use the de-jittered output to go to a "warmer" converter, which may have more THD, but be pleasant to the ear for jazz or classical. Having said that, the bottom end is quite tight on the Zodiac and not harsh on the top end, lending itself well to all genres.

I'm just studying Can Jam. I'm originally from Chicago, so I think it makes sense to go.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #145 of 529
If you're in San Diego, a demo shouldn't be a problem at all. I noticed you know Ferry Corsten. Trance fan? I have a mastering room in Santa Monica and specialize in elec music.

Marcel

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScuderiaHeadFi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kudos to Cly for fielding all of our questions and doubts! Though many of us may be more or less skeptical, I think at bottom most of us have faith that the Zodiac series will sound somewhere between great and amazing--it's just a matter of discovering if it will sound great or amazing in the way we personally like. Audiophiles (especially at head-fi) are a tough crowd, and not willing to accept gear just because of a high price tag. I would definitely love to get my hands on any of the gear Antelope puts out to try myself some day!

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #146 of 529
oh certainly, canjam would be a great palce for you to demo your unit to a whole bunch of people all at once. Since you have it, how is the noise floor on the unit? would it be sensible to use with sensitive IEM's? and to throw another vote in, i think at that price most people would want a built in nice power supply.

Also i want to thank you for putting up with all our, questions. And i dont ever mean to be rude, just curious
smily_headphones1.gif
i guess its true that something like the PCM1704 would maybe not be ideal for large productions, but hopefully they will keep it around, and im sure if you had put large orders for it in, they would have kept it around longer
wink.gif
though that is only idle speculation lol

Edit: i guess it also only runs up to 96KHz i believe, so it would have forced you to limit the sampling frequency, but those benefits are also arguable...

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #147 of 529
I totally vote for outboard power supply. At this level you really want to get all you can in sound and at this price point people are looking for that. It would really be nice if all of them could take an outboard power supply as an option (like Naim does).

Is this as good/better/same as the Ayer QB-9 for jitter on the USB?

K

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #149 of 529
Quote:

If you're in San Diego, a demo shouldn't be a problem at all. I noticed you know Ferry Corsten. Trance fan? I have a mastering room in Santa Monica and specialize in elec music.

Hah, I am so tempted to take a day off work or maybe make a weekend out to visit friends in LA just to take you up on your offer. You should know that while I have been a lurker of Head-Fi for sometime, I do not have the kind of prestige or reputation around here that you need on your side vouching for your product. Still, a trip to Santa Monica, for a good listen to what is surely a top-flight piece of engineering couldn't possibly hurt, right?

Not a fan of trance in particular, but in general I do listen to a good amount of electronica. Ferry is the flavor of the month for me.

And funny you may go to CanJam on the basis that you are originally from Chicago--I am NOT going to CanJam, or buying any new gear for the time being, on the basis that later this year I will be MOVING to Chicago for grad school and need to be frugal in anticipation of the coming expenses.
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #150 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm more interested in the word clock input, but combine this with de-jittered output and the internal clock, and it's a jack-of-all-trades for sure.

Offering a psu with the Gold will draw many more users. Currently it seems like we're to drop an extra 1K for 384kHz USB and a remote control (both of which I could live w/o......yes there is the gold relay, different attenuator? etc.), but if a psu is included the jump from + to Gold will be a no-brainer for many.

DC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back