The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
May 16, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #2,463 of 2,897
Still one of my favs

upload_2019-5-16_15-19-31.png

May 18, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #2,464 of 2,897
A story with a happy ending :)

Last month I ordered a brand new Tera-Player Stealth edition directly from Charles. He did replay very fast and he kept in touch durring the whole process. He sent it to me when was ready and we both keep an eye on the journey from Germany to UK.

Later on there were some problems with the logistic company and my Tera was nowhere to be find. Once again, Charles filed an investigation and he even offered to make me a 2ND player in case the other was lost. So to be honest I had a little hope but I was confident that I will get my Tera-Player one way or the other.

Moving forward around 5 weeks later after it was sent, I manage it to locate it and now I have it and enjoy its sound very much, like the first time I heard it in 2014. Charles was very responsive and he did work with me in solving this " issue ".
One day I hope to meet him and thank personally for making this minimalistic wonderful device.

20190518_091759.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #2,467 of 2,897
I have never heard the Tera Player (still using my Pono) and dont know how much the production costs. But it seems the Player still hold its own and no other company is able to offer a similar Player (for much less).
Since you are in Berlin, I would suggest to give Charles a call and see if you can listen to the Tera-Player. You will be surprised.

May 18, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #2,469 of 2,897
I have never heard the Tera Player (still using my Pono) and dont know how much the production costs. But it seems the Player still hold its own and no other company is able to offer a similar Player (for much less).

But you have a Pono... its one of the better sounding players.

People who have heard the Tera say it sounds terrible.. but there are some poeple who really really love it (they are on this thread).

May 19, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #2,472 of 2,897
This player was priced at $1099 originally but now at $3800. The price rose more than triple. Did the price go up due to explosive demand or what?
Or just one man's greed? I cannot believe this thing's more expensive than new SP2000..must be real good. I know I will never buy this but would like to try.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #2,473 of 2,897
Is there any change from 2019 edition vs the older edition ?

No.....

This player was priced at $1099 originally but now at $3800. The price rose more than triple. Did the price go up due to explosive demand or what?
Or just one man's greed? I cannot believe this thing's more expensive than new SP2000..must be real good. I know I will never buy this but would like to try.

I suspect "greed" - OK, I'm not so happy to classify it as "greed", I'd say arrogance. He makes something very cheap to make and thinks so highly of his own creation (it may well sound very good.. that's not the point) that he then sees what people are spending on other DAPs and then pushes and pushes his price to test his loyal followers to see what they will pay..

So I'd guess it is more about disrespect for others and his followers - I think he sees them as fools with too much cash and wants their money because he has no respect for them. ..

But I could be wrong, this is *only* my feeling toward the man, my opinion which I think I am welcome to express :) AND, having said that, that is also some people's view of capitalism, that it is absolutely fine to have that attitude.. - I can see their point as many manufacturers probably do the same, but when its an individual, it's hard not to judge their personality by their actions (e.g. Like that "investor" who bought the intellectual rights to HIV drugs and raised the price 700% to profit from people's desperate need for them)

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #2,474 of 2,897
If I didn't had a Tera-Player and I could afford it, I would buy it right away at the current price. I don't take seriously what others are saying, I respect Charles for making something Different.
It may not be for everyone but certainly for few of us is.

In couple of years we would still be talking about it on this thread, when others have already " upgraded " ( read spend more ) , their player in the search for the right sound.

Tera-Player for me is : great sounding , very small, minimalistic and clever design, extremely easy to use, Perfect UI that never fails, great battery life to name few.
It is made for playback WAV files and it does it really well.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #2,475 of 2,897

It was €640 originally and the highest I saw it for sale while doing my house insurance annually was €12,400 so today's price is a comparitive bargain!

For the record I'm now using my Tera with Aurisonic Forte and for the first time I prefer the output from the socket near the middle. Completely different sound signature to my long-lived Heir Tzar 90s and with poor recordings the bass seems to be lacking (which is saying something being as the Tzars are BA) but I'm going to give the combo a while to grow on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back