The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Apr 14, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #2,446 of 2,897
Tera is still my all time favorite as well. While I actually think the SQ on my LPG which I also love is little bit better (more power so drives more headphones), the overall ergonomics of Tera more than make up for that for my use case scenario. Small and screenless with tactile buttons which I can easily operate/feel through my jeans pocket (from the outside) to navigate the device is the real genius part (my use case even with LPG is to select the album or playlist and hit play, and that's all interaction with the device for that session). Most people like to interact with device constantly so this will obviously not work for them, but for me this is absolutely perfect, and also that Tera is the only music player I have ever used that stays completely cool inside the pocket. But I agree it's gotten very expensive now - I feel great about my purchase because years ago I paid 850 Euro for it, but I love it so much that I think I would have to buy a new one even at current price if something happened to the one I already have.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #2,447 of 2,897
Tera is still my all time favorite as well. While I actually think the SQ on my LPG which I also love is little bit better (more power so drives more headphones), the overall ergonomics of Tera more than make up for that for my use case scenario. Small and screenless with tactile buttons which I can easily operate/feel through my jeans pocket (from the outside) to navigate the device is the real genius part (my use case even with LPG is to select the album or playlist and hit play, and that's all interaction with the device for that session). Most people like to interact with device constantly so this will obviously not work for them, but for me this is absolutely perfect, and also that Tera is the only music player I have ever used that stays completely cool inside the pocket. But I agree it's gotten very expensive now - I feel great about my purchase because years ago I paid 850 Euro for it, but I love it so much that I think I would have to buy a new one even at current price if something happened to the one I already have.
What headphones / earphones do you use or found out work great with the Tera?
I am looking at W80, buy only 5 ohm :frowning2: impedence and Meze Rai Penta.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #2,449 of 2,897
What headphones / earphones do you use or found out work great with the Tera?
I am looking at W80, buy only 5 ohm :frowning2: impedence and Meze Rai Penta.

I have been using Tralucent IEM's (plus5, ref1, and 1plus2) for years now. I find them perfect with both Tera and LPG - so much so that I'm not interested in trying anything else (I have stopped following this forum and am only subscribed to Tera, Tralucent, and LPG threads - have absolutely no interest in anything else).

Apr 15, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #2,450 of 2,897
It would be cheaper to have a different pair of jeans, or, you know, change this habbit or desire to have a DAP in one's jeans pocket. It's such a hilariously specific personal requirement that one is willing to pay $$$ for !

On a serious note, has anyone here done a proper comparison with the Tera player and iPod Shuffle (any gen) with different headphones? I bet people will have dismissed the Shuffle without a proper back-to-back test !

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #2,451 of 2,897
I have been using Tralucent IEM's (plus5, ref1, and 1plus2) for years now. I find them perfect with both Tera and LPG - so much so that I'm not interested in trying anything else (I have stopped following this forum and am only subscribed to Tera, Tralucent, and LPG threads - have absolutely no interest in anything else).

I like that! Just focusing on enjoying the music in the way you enjoy. I would like to be in that place too in many ways.

It also means that one doesn't really have the ability to argue whether the Tera is either good or worth the money for anyone else but yourself. Which is fine, as long as one doesn't fall into the trap of believing that one's own taste or opinion isn't unique.

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #2,454 of 2,897
It would be cheaper to have a different pair of jeans, or, you know, change this habbit or desire to have a DAP in one's jeans pocket. It's such a hilariously specific personal requirement that one is willing to pay $$$ for !

On a serious note, has anyone here done a proper comparison with the Tera player and iPod Shuffle (any gen) with different headphones? I bet people will have dismissed the Shuffle without a proper back-to-back test !

I have owned iPod's, including the shuffle (used those before I purchased Tera). They are not even close (not on the same planet) as far as SQ goes as Tera. The only 'portable' dap I have heard that has superior IQ to Tera is LPG. By the way, few years ago I have also tried few expensive AK players (don't remember exact models any longer), but unlike LPG I found their SQ inferior to Tera. By the way, even though I like LPG I don't consider it truly portable because I can't use it inside my jeans pocket (if I can sit down to listen to music then I'll usually just listen to my stereo speakers at home instead of headphones). I only use LPG if sitting down while on the train - it's Tera everywhere else (walking, subways, standing in the train, etc).

May 5, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #2,456 of 2,897
Has he stopped making them? Website has disappeared

May 5, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #2,460 of 2,897

Users who are viewing this thread

Back