The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Jun 19, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #992 of 2,897
'Skin Modded' One on My Tera's

An art friend of mine had some very sticky matt metallic paper in his craft case.
I asked where he got it and he cant remember (he's is a very chilled dude 
wink.gif
- so not surprised TBH).

Anyway I nabbed it and got the ruler and knife out, with steady (stightly trembling) hands got to work.

Its not perfect but IMO I think its a massive improvement - so pretty happy.

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #994 of 2,897
Not in my opinion. However take this for whatever is worth since to me Tera SQ is PERFECT out of the box (when paired with Ref 1). I don't agree with others who have stated that Tera SQ is improved via use of amps.
IMHO the only advantage of using ANY amp with Tera is if you want more volume and the amp is completely neutral and leaves the sound signature alone.

I would love to not have to use an amp but I listen to single and multi-ba iems that have impedance curves that greatly impact frequency response with 3 ohms or greater output impedance. I feel the CypherLabs Picollo, being an all discrete designed amp, preserves the overall sonic presenation of the Tera, while giving me the less than 1 ohm impedance required to drive my ba based iems accurately. Plus it's a tiny amp with 30 hour battery life, so physical impact is fairly minimal.

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #995 of 2,897
I would love to not have to use an amp but I listen to single and multi-ba iems that have impedance curves that greatly impact frequency response with 3 ohms or greater output impedance. I feel the CypherLabs Picollo, being an all discrete designed amp, preserves the overall sonic presenation of the Tera, while giving me the less than 1 ohm impedance required to drive my ba based iems accurately. Plus it's a tiny amp with 30 hour battery life, so physical impact is fairly minimal.

Exactly why I started amping when I received my first Tera and thus bought the RS Shadow. Sizewise great amp matching the tiny Tera and quality wise also very nice with everlasting battery power.
Unfortunately though it takes away to much from the analogue presentation of the Tera with every IEM I tried it with...

But as already stated many times here, just a Ref.1 might just be end of game :)

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #996 of 2,897
Sonickarma- your Tera is beautiful,remainds me of the romanian matchboxes from 80's :)
Anyone with Ref1 can please try and watch a movie or YouTube on your phone/tablet and tell me if they still have big bass,soundstage, micro details?
I would really like to know that.Cheers,
Musicday

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #997 of 2,897
Sonickarma- your Tera is beautiful,remainds me of the romanian matchboxes from 80's :)
Anyone with Ref1 can please try and watch a movie or YouTube on your phone/tablet and tell me if they still have big bass,soundstage, micro details?
Musicday

Musicday my friend,

Auditioned the Ref.1 with it's standard cable on my Sony Xperia Z3 using Youtube:
Tried some random artists and songs first and they sounded absolutely horrible.
Then realised it might simply have to do with bad quality audio files, so played Dr. Dave Chesky's Mozart Ave Verum........

Absolutely stunning!
The church organ goes really deep, I can actually feel it (like with my Tera) and all peoples in the choir can be pinpointed.
Then compared with the same audio file coming from my SD card and of course there are differences.
The latter one sounds a bit fuller, better positioning and more details but overall definitively the same sound sig!

Very, very respectable especially considering it's coming from a phone, mind you, in my opinion the Z3 is quite good at this.
As to be expected the soundstage is a bit more narrow then with the Tera but not annoying at all. (we're just used to wider :))

Have a great weekend!

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #998 of 2,897
Good evening ThaPapper,my friend.
Thanks for answering my question i really appreciate.
I am hoping to meet you eventually at the CanJam in London or another time.
Looks like it will be the only place where i can try Ref1.
Till then i enjoy the Tera with Korta :)
Happy listening and have a nice weekend too.

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #999 of 2,897
Musicday

MusicDay, you don't need to worry about the performance of the Ref.1 on movies...Ref.1 is great on these too.

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #1,000 of 2,897
I think that the impression that amping detracts from the Tera's merits is not without merit.  Pairing with the RSA Shadow and Headamp Pico Power initially led me to that conclusion.  The only way to play the Tera was direct.

When I switched to Japanese amps that were clearly at a much higher level of fidelity to the source, my initial impressions changed.

The Tera can be amped without losing its X-factor.  But the amp and cable must be worthy of the Tera.

Amps that are worthy of the Tera are Mass Kobo 385/395, ToneFlake Epsilon S Bialbero, and NewOpto KH-01p.  Cables that paired well with the Tera are Wagnus Ice Sword and Sputnik.

Conscious that some are adamant that the Tera sounds best unamped with the Tralucent Ref1, my personal experience has proven for myself at least to be otherwise.  The combination of the Tera and Mass Kobo with a transparent cable (Sputnik) was spellbinding.  It brought out another dimension of the Ref1 I had not heard when played directly from the Tera.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #1,002 of 2,897
Where exactly one can buy the Ref1 from?
Are they on any websites?
Thanks in advance for all your help guys.
Are they really that good with Tera,better then almighty Korta?

You can contact Gavin of Tralucent, I think. Also musicaacoustics should have it.

Edit:
http://www.musicaacoustics.com/#!product/prd1/2239567201/reference-1-tralucent-audio-in-ear-universals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back