The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Mar 7, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #751 of 2,897
I recollect Charles mentioning very early on in the Tera Player production cycle that a few loaners had gone out to his friends (who were primarily musicians and music related folks) so perhaps it's these units that are the FTU?

Wonder why his friends would be returning them. Getting fresh units or something new to evaluate?

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #752 of 2,897
Wonder why his friends would be returning them. Getting fresh units or something new to evaluate?

What keeps me thinking, would musicians batter them up this badly in te first place? I mean even if issued for free, I would suspect musicians to be people who take nicely care of their belongings, especially music related...

All audiophile's here on Head Fi with such damaged units step forward please :)

Mar 7, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #754 of 2,897
The Tera is made to be able to do that. They're not treating it like it cost over $2k, just as a another tool or DAP. Nice to have something on the road that you can pocket and plop and won't leave you without tunes.

So caring more about the music then the item producing it then, maybe some professional attitude?

I've always been insanely careful with my belongings and this FTU seems to deal with that strict habit for this time.
Quite enjoyable relaxed experience actually and nice music to accompany that feeling, life is beautiful :)

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #755 of 2,897
I have looked ad gloveaudio a1 web page and find this a very strange approach. If I understand this correctly this device takes over the DAC and AMP functionality from AK100 (let's say improves on it as reported) - then what is really needed from AK100 in the first place? You would think they would just go the extra step and provide the rest of the functionality needed and sell their own standalone player (and reduce the overall bulk in the process)?

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #756 of 2,897
Harder than you might think. It would also be another good size brick for it's performance/guts and they probably saw this as better way for those willing to carry something this big. The bugger about daps is always convenience vs size vs sound vs versatility of load. Building a front end an getting the FW as good as the AKs is difficult and probably takes more R&D than would be cost effective for how many they'd sell at that size.

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #757 of 2,897
Less R&D, cheaper tot build and a market already filled with AK100's, it just needs to sound better:)

And without the AK100's fame, there's always the risk of being "just another DAP" in a rapidly growing market..

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #758 of 2,897

the tera player is one hell of an incredible player. threw whatever iems i had at it, it will just take advantage their strengths which made me found a new love with each and individual one of them. had an enjoyable afternoon-evening time listening on it. 

Mar 8, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #760 of 2,897
  the tera player is one hell of an incredible player. threw whatever iems i had at it, it will just take advantage their strengths which made me found a new love with each and individual one of them. had an enjoyable afternoon-evening time listening on it.

Yes it is :)

Did you happen to stumble on an universal IEM with outstanding bass right out of the Tera?
Enjoy your gear and music!

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #762 of 2,897
What keeps me thinking, would musicians batter them up this badly in te first place? I mean even if issued for free, I would suspect musicians to be people who take nicely care of their belongings, especially music related...

All audiophile's here on Head Fi with such damaged units step forward please :)

My Tera goes everywhere with me except on small boats, and no doubt shows dramatic wear.  In addition to multiple drops and pocket abrasion, I accidently put a scratch on the button pad when it was in my chest pocket because I kept sliding my ball point pen next to it.  I then put a square of black bumper sticker material over that, and it looked just like the stealth with the additional protection.  Last month I then gouged the hell out of this protective layer with my car keys... Hmmm.  Maybe a graphite sticker next.  You see, Tera is not a toy to me, but a serious piece of adventure equipment!

It is just because of this durability that I DO carry Tera everywhere and my hard use does not in my opinion constitute abuse.  I keep it dry, clean, and charged unless using, and while I really attempt to take care of cosmetic issues the travel and active life comes FIRST.  I can't imagine that many other players could withstand my travel, skiing and skateboarding adventures, but even if their knobs stayed on, the screens would be a mess.  With Tera the simplicity of use guarantees pure pleasure and zero hassle or even slightest delay between songs.

How Charles got those refurbs back is anyone's guess, but unless dunked in beer or water I bet they all just needed superficial cleaning instead of any hardware and firmware Bull.S..

Mine looks just like the Million miles its been in 2 years... and I'll love the look way more a decade from now!

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #764 of 2,897
  If Musicday brings his Tera Player too we'll have a troika of TP's. 
smile.gif

Regarding the meet, the venue is a modern village hall located in a residential area, so access is via a street of houses which is a bit confusing. If you follow the SatNav instructions in the meet thread first post you'll be fine. Look forward to meeting you.

Have a great weekend thread readers.  

Quote:

Good, than in return you get a live view of my worn Tera :)))
Will deliver Musicday his promised Senn HD 25 SP as well.....
One of the better Saturdays :)

Enjoy the weekend!

Hi Guys,
Thank you ThaPapper for the headphones,and thanks Smial1966 for the invitation. I will be at the meeting and will bring my Stealth Tera player and my own modified Korta Koss pro headphones, that takes music to another level:) you will hear for yourself what I am talking about.
beyersmile.png

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #765 of 2,897
 Hi Guys,
Thank you ThaPapper for the headphones,and thanks Smial1966 for the invitation. I will be at the meeting and will bring my Stealth Tera player and my own modified Korta Koss pro headphones, that takes music to another level:) you will hear for yourself what I am talking about.:beyersmile:

No problem Musicday :)

Smial1966, also on my behalf thank you for having me on the meet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back