The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Apr 2, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #796 of 2,897
I don't understand why people had so much negative thoughts against Charles.
He did worked hard to make the Tera player and is a terrific player.
All the reviews on his website are genuine, as i have one there posted 3 years ago.
I wish he can come back here,or turn up at the Headfi meeting UK.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #797 of 2,897
Most of complaining was about Tera pricing. Because it has no screen and no pause function a lot of people argued the price should be lower. Of course given Charles also started doubling the price that added fuel to the fire. I can't even imagine what would happen today if he was allowed back on this forum (all the crying about high prices was back when he was charging 810 euro for new Tera's).
And of course majority of people complaining never heard Tera (typical on internet forums where people often criticize things they have never experienced first hand, and/or can't afford).
As a matter of fact, I have NEVER heard anyone who actually has Tera complain about SQ not being superb - owners typically complained about random function not working properly, or no pause functionality, or Tera being very picky about pairing (especially with iem's - which I do happen to think is the case).

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #798 of 2,897
Eccentricity tends to be a trait of the genius. Though in my personal dealings with Charles not too long ago about the SD card issues on my Tera, he was polite, patient, helpful and the responses came quick and provided more information that I'd expected. I experienced none of the negative things I've read or heard about him at all.

By the way, I learned that different generations of the Tera had minor differences, including ram size, 192kHz playback, random algorithm, compatibility with the various brands and classes of SD cards. The edition I own, for example, had an additional undocumented Easter Egg where depressing the vol down and up or vol down and stop switches between Pentode and Triode mode that resulted in subtle changes in harmonics, sound. Amazing stuff.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #800 of 2,897
Though in my personal dealings with Charles not too long ago about the SD card issues on my Tera, he was polite, patient, helpful and the responses came quick and provided more information that I'd expected. I experienced none of the negative things I've read or heard about him at all.

Same here - Charles could not have been more polite and patient when I was sending him emails inquiring about Tera. Completely professional in every sense of the word.
When my Tera was stuck in US customs in NY for long time and I was afraid it was never going to even get delivered he told me to calm down and that he was going to make me another one if that happened!

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #801 of 2,897
It is unfair to portray Charles based on how Tera's been priced.  A self-developed hand-made item is just simply not for mass and should never be referencing to those pricing from mass production brands in the market.  

A Seiko can tell time more accurately than  Philippe Dufour's Simplicity to which 100 times more expensive than any timepieces that offer the same function.   

I think we should pay the same respect to Charles with his unique approach to this hobby.   

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #802 of 2,897
Eccentricity tends to be a trait of the genius. Though in my personal dealings with Charles not too long ago about the SD card issues on my Tera, he was polite, patient, helpful and the responses came quick and provided more information that I'd expected. I experienced none of the negative things I've read or heard about him at all.

By the way, I learned that different generations of the Tera had minor differences, including ram size, 192kHz playback, random algorithm, compatibility with the various brands and classes of SD cards. The edition I own, for example, had an additional undocumented Easter Egg where depressing the vol down and up or vol down and stop switches between Pentode and Triode mode that resulted in subtle changes in harmonics, sound. Amazing stuff.

Can you share how to differentiate the different generations of the Tera Players? Are there any serial # on them? Thanks

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #804 of 2,897
The serial number is inside IMO,as Charles can tell when each of his Tera was made,warranty etc.
All the units made before 2014 i think represent the first generation fallowed by thw latest one that include double the RAM,stronger jacks,new random algorithm.
Do not worry,all this will be upgraded to your Tera when service is needed, like battery replacement.
Untill then enjoy the Analogue music :)

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #805 of 2,897

If I remember correctly in those heated and long ago closed Tera threads Charles posted German thrash metal (or was it even worse - rap?) videos when people got him really angry. That made sense as it seemed like appropriate punishment for pi$ing him off - and it was a very creative and stylish way to get banned and close those threads once and for all.

The trash metal had nothing to do with it. He was getting way too much grief, had enough and responded in prose that was unwelcomed by the mods but that wasn't what closed the threads. The threads got closed from similar fighting between advocates and proponents both being unreasonable and not letting it go as it seems may still be the case. This thread is much more friendly and sane. Lets not spin past ones beyond what they were and reopen that can of worms.

Tera seems good enough to simply stand on it's own merits when using the appropriate transducer. Price is always a personal decision for a buyer.
smile.gif

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #806 of 2,897
The trash metal had nothing to do with it. He was getting way too much grief, had enough and responded in prose that was unwelcomed by the mods but that wasn't what closed the threads. The threads got closed from similar fighting between advocates and proponents both being unreasonable and not letting it go as it seems may still be the case. This thread is much more friendly and sane. Lets not spin past ones beyond what they were and reopen that can of worms.

Tera seems good enough to simply stand on it's own merits when using the appropriate transducer. Price is always a personal decision for a buyer.:smile:

The man still is upset about various statements thrown at him in the past...

In my opinion he never deserved this in the first place and has every right to be very proud of the Tera.
As well as he has every right to price the player the way he wants it for whatever reason.
As well as every consumer has the right to buy or not to buy.

Pricewise, let's discuss an A&K 240 Blue Note edition shall we? :)

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #807 of 2,897
Am I the only one to spot the last sentence of paragraph two below as an obvious `Aprils Fool' joke?!?  
blink.gif

Quote:

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #808 of 2,897
People can go up, down, yell, dance around, piss on Charles and the Tera, sacrifice virgins to curse his name, but at the end of the day, I've owned or tried a lot of very high end portable rigs, but the Tera + SE5 experience will always remain unique sound wise, it is unbelievable that such natural sound with such authority comes out from a metallic square the size of a match box. And so I will never sell it.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #809 of 2,897
How many of you haven'tried different daps,cables,amps and more cables,DSD music,high end gear,update the firmare or install costum ones just the achive the perfect sound?
Oh let's not forget about selling the players you own every year to buy another better one?
With the Tera player the sound and size of the unit,battery life is perfect IMO. :)
What else can we ask for?

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #810 of 2,897
Here is exactly what Charles said: "I just checked the version of your Tera. Its a bit complicated for '13 Teras. There are basically 4 versions (12, 13.1, 13.2 and 13.3) and you have the 13.1 version. That means you already have the double RAM feature which enables 192kHz playback also with slower access cards.

The 13.2 introduced a simpler (and smoother) read algorithm. 

13.3 introduced the new random algorithm.

and 14 (current version) had the compatibility issues fixed for the Sandisk Extreme cards.

Your 13.1 version has a special undocumented feature: 

When you press Vol-down and while holding Vol-down, press Vol-up then you switch to a different reading algorithm (non-scrambled interrupt -> Pentode mode).

When you press Vol-down and while holding Vol-down, press Stop then you return to the default reading algorithm (scrambled interrupt -> Triode mode).

Playback will not be interrupted by these commands. There will be a subtle change in harmonics, I implemented these commands to do some experimentation. The change in sound is subtle :wink:"

Sent on 12 March 2015. Too early for an April Fool joke, if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back