The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Jul 14, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #2,312 of 2,897
If I was to start my audio journey again and to have to get only one music player from all the players available at any price, i will get the Tera Player again.
I still very much recommend it to anyone who is interested in a small high quality sounding music player.

I completely agree. It's my favourite audio purchase. It needs well paired headphones/iems and is finicky about file format (wav - no tags etc) with no display but gives me more musical enjoyment than any other source component I own. I would buy it again in an instant if I was starting my hifi collection again. Not bad for a 5 year old purchase.

No link to supplier just a very contented consumer.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #2,313 of 2,897
I am in agreement here also. So I have had my Tera Player package for sale for couple of weeks. Got couple of offers, but really low ones. Nothing I would jump at this point. I have not listened to my Tera Player for a while. Mostly focused on my desktop system. So I started using it again couple of days ago with the Kramer Modded Koss Porta Pros and oh man, it does sound really great :) Time to close that FS thread.

BTW: How is everyone's battery holding up? How many hours are you getting? What about the future? Do you think Charles would replace the battery for charge?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #2,314 of 2,897
How is everyone's battery holding up? How many hours are you getting? What about the future? Do you think Charles would replace the battery for charge?

My battery is going strong. I'm guessing about 10-12 hours with my Audeo IEMs and 8 - 10 with my HD800s. Charles has stated that he will replace the battery for a fee in one of the older Tera threads.

Jul 14, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #2,316 of 2,897
You running HD800s out of the Tera Player? Well i did try out the Focal Utopias from the Tera Player and they sounded great.
I ran the Sony MDR-Z1R from the Tera and initial impressions are pretty good..... going to give it some time before I post my full impressions

Jul 14, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #2,317 of 2,897
After 4.5 years of nearly every day i still get around 12 hours + of playback time with Koss Porta Pro or ATH-CKR10.
Who will be at the CanJam London today can listen to mine to have an idea what we are talking about here.
Unfortunately Charles won't change the battery unless it will stop working so that can take lots of years from now but at least he will do it .
The best pairing with the Tera Player i heard was Ref 1 Too and Pioneer Master 1 headphones.
Apart from the sound that really impress me all the time is the the very slow discharge time when the player is fully charged and not used. Weeks and weeks of standby time.
I am just hoping that will sound incredible with ISine i20, LCD i4 and Aeon.
Few hours left to find out.

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #2,318 of 2,897
I worked and helped at CanJam London yesterday and was really nice experience. Everyone was friendly and helpful as always. The best pairing for me with the Tera Player was with Tia Forte. Lots of details, sub bass and an extra wide soundstage. LCD i4 were okay but they need more power that Tera Player doesn't have.
I was pleasantly surprised by all Sony team who had a listen to my Tera Player with Koss Porta Pro modified and they took around 5-10 photos of yet, maybe they can inspire from it in the near future :)
Going back now again to try on of my favourite headphones : Pioneer Master 1.
If you see me and want to listen to the Tera Player just come to me and I will answer all your questions.

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #2,319 of 2,897
I worked and helped at CanJam London yesterday and was really nice experience. Everyone was friendly and helpful as always. The best pairing for me with the Tera Player was with Tia Forte. Lots of details, sub bass and an extra wide soundstage. LCD i4 were okay but they need more power that Tera Player doesn't have.
I was pleasantly surprised by all Sony team who had a listen to my Tera Player with Koss Porta Pro modified and they took around 5-10 photos of yet, maybe they can inspire from it in the near future :)
Going back now again to try on of my favourite headphones : Pioneer Master 1.
If you see me and want to listen to the Tera Player just come to me and I will answer all your questions.
any impressions with the Master1? I have been listening with my MDR-Z1R and have been pleasantly surprised with the combination - musical and beautifully rendered

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #2,320 of 2,897
any impressions with the Master1? I have been listening with my MDR-Z1R and have been pleasantly surprised with the combination - musical and beautifully rendered
Yes: here comes the impressions.

Master 1 with the Tera Player was a Fantastic combination and they have a very very good synergy. I am just looking to get one asap ( that's how much i like it) once i sell some of my items.
I heard this headphone in 2016 but in a noisy environment, but this time being again part of the CanJam stuff i went and heard it for a long time in a quiet place.
I would say that it sounds like the Koss Porta Pro modified but 10 x better in all aspects including a much wider soundstage.
Hopefully, I can find one brand new at a reasonable price.

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #2,321 of 2,897
Yes: here comes the impressions.

Master 1 with the Tera Player was a Fantastic combination and they have a very very good synergy. I am just looking to get one asap ( that's how much i like it) once i sell some of my items.
I heard this headphone in 2016 but in a noisy environment, but this time being again part of the CanJam stuff i went and heard it for a long time in a quiet place.
I would say that it sounds like the Koss Porta Pro modified but 10 x better in all aspects including a much wider soundstage.
Hopefully, I can find one brand new at a reasonable price.

hopefully you find one soon. Didn't realize they were that expensive... quite a jump from the Koss Porta Pros!!

Jul 23, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,323 of 2,897
Put it this way, i have been to Sony booth at CanJam London and showed them my Tera Player.
They were very impressed with size and sound from the Koss Porta Pro own modified.
They couldn't believe the price of the headphones.
They took around 5-10 photos of my Tera Player. :)
Still trying to find Pioneer SE Master1, if anyone has a pair to let go, PM and we will work something out.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #2,324 of 2,897
Look no further for minimal portable use: fantastic details, wide soundstage, fast bass attack, crystal clear vocals, great comfort. Very easy for the Tera Player to drive the PM1 which are 45 Ohm with plenty of power and headroom.
Probably in my experience this type of sound can be achieved with desktop very expensive amplifiers.
Let the burn in (200+ hours) improve the sound of dynamic transducers.
For me is like going from LED to OLED.

20170728_194405.jpg

Aug 1, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #2,325 of 2,897
OK so I've had my Tera player for a few weeks now and it's become my default portable option. I still prefer my Sony WM1Z when I am at home given how effortlessly it drives all my gear. The player sounds fantastic and as a portable option it is a no brainier if you can find a used one at a good price point. I was concerned that i would miss a screen on the player but have not felt that at all, the one thing i do miss is the ability to shuffle songs within albums for a specific artist however i solved that problem by keeping a dedicated SD card for my top artist and then using the shuffle option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back