The Altmann Tera Player - Thread
Aug 1, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #2,326 of 2,897
I like the Sony Walkman, but for me the Tera Player is in a completely different league.
If I had no player and i was offered only one I will always choose the Tera.
In the combination with the Pioneer headphones this is wow...
I don't need anything else now.
That may say something about how much i like this player.
Sadly that many still don't know about it, or heard it.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #2,327 of 2,897
I like the Sony Walkman, but for me the Tera Player is in a completely different league.
If I had no player and i was offered only one I will always choose the Tera.
In the combination with the Pioneer headphones this is wow...
I don't need anything else now.
That may say something about how much i like this player.
Sadly that many still don't know about it, or heard it.

i haven't heard it with the Pioneer Master but to me the price of a new Tera player is hard to swallow

Aug 2, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #2,328 of 2,897
i haven't heard it with the Pioneer Master but to me the price of a new Tera player is hard to swallow

I understand your point of view. It is a lot of money for any piece of audio equipment.

For me Tera is my most prized audio source and one that I will keep. It would be the first and perhaps only source that I would re-purchase (finances allowing!) If I was without it for any reason.

Aug 2, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #2,329 of 2,897
I understand your point of view. It is a lot of money for any piece of audio equipment.

For me Tera is my most prized audio source and one that I will keep. It would be the first and perhaps only source that I would re-purchase (finances allowing!) If I was without it for any reason.
I agree with you 100%. One who is thinking to buy the Tera Player needs to listen to it first if possible otherwise to read the whole thread and the reviews on the website ( www.tera-player.com )
Nothing is exaggerated about this player if we are talking about the sound quality.
Such a big punch from a very small player, incredible.
I mentioned before,that even the guys from Sony were amazed by size and sound.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #2,330 of 2,897
As this thread is overwhelmingly populated by Tera Player devotees, I thought I'd offer an ex-owners perspective to counterbalance the fanboy hype.

My early Tera Player (TP) cost 499 Euros in December 2011 direct from Charles Altmann and was an introductory price offered to the first handful of purchasers. The original sales price was 749 Euros or thereabouts. Comparing this initial price with the current TP's cost gives an indication of the hyper price hikes implemented by Charles - ostensibly to match the newly released Astell & Kern AK*** DAP model prices but latterly he just started doubling the TP's cost seemingly on a whim.

Anyway, when purchased to my ears the TP did sound amazingly organic and lush, with a fulsome midrange and cavernous bass reproduction which was a sonically beguiling combination. My opinion remains praiseworthy of the Tera Player today, as it's diminutive size and robustness are still unparallelled among today's DAP's. However, in comparison to the current flagship players sonically the Tera Player (TP) is highly flawed as it truncates both frequency extremes to an alarming extent. Thus the TP's engaging midrange is so noticeable precisely because the WAV music files upper/lower frequencies have been `clipped' and discarded by the Tera Player. Having listened extensively to a number of current DAP's and comparing them directly with my Tera Player, I concluded that more realistic and captivating sonics could be achieved by purchasing a Questyle QP1R, so I sold my TP and have not regretted this decision at all. The QP1R sounds more airy, muscular, precise and realistically engaging than the somewhat muted sonics produced by the Tera Player.

Obviously your sonic opinion will differ, especially if you're a diehard TP fan, but if you are contemplating spending thousands of Euro's on a Tera Player then please directly A/B it with a QP1R or other current flagship DAP before committing your cash, as the TP's quirky sonics are not to everyone's aural tastes!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #2,331 of 2,897
As this thread is overwhelmingly populated by Tera Player devotees, I thought I'd offer an ex-owners perspective to counterbalance the fanboy hype.

My early Tera Player (TP) cost 499 Euros in December 2011 direct from Charles Altmann and was an introductory price offered to the first handful of purchasers. The original sales price was 749 Euros or thereabouts. Comparing this initial price with the current TP's cost gives an indication of the hyper price hikes implemented by Charles - ostensibly to match the newly released Astell & Kern AK*** DAP model prices but latterly he just started doubling the TP's cost seemingly on a whim.

Anyway, when purchased to my ears the TP did sound amazingly organic and lush, with a fulsome midrange and cavernous bass reproduction which was a sonically beguiling combination. My opinion remains praiseworthy of the Tera Player today, as it's diminutive size and robustness are still unparallelled among today's DAP's. However, in comparison to the current flagship players sonically the Tera Player (TP) is highly flawed as it truncates both frequency extremes to an alarming extent. Thus the TP's engaging midrange is so noticeable precisely because the WAV music files upper/lower frequencies have been `clipped' and discarded by the Tera Player. Having listened extensively to a number of current DAP's and comparing them directly with my Tera Player, I concluded that more realistic and captivating sonics could be achieved by purchasing a Questyle QP1R, so I sold my TP and have not regretted this decision at all. The QP1R sounds more airy, muscular, precise and realistically engaging than the somewhat muted sonics produced by the Tera Player.

Obviously your sonic opinion will differ, especially if you're a diehard TP fan, but if you are contemplating spending thousands of Euro's on a Tera Player then please directly A/B it with a QP1R or other current flagship DAP before committing your cash, as the TP's quirky sonics are not to everyone's aural tastes!
No disrespect to you at all, but anyone who have read this thread and others related,know that you have have written before exactly same things at least 2 times!
Yes we are fanboys here as there are fanboys in other threads, nothing wrong with that and i am pleased that you like your QP1R, but as you already know I have compared the Tera Player with better higher end models before and I have always prefer it.
Last word: the Tera Player is not only about that natural, organic ,analogue, fatigue free sound, but also about the simplicity,long battery life and Never needs a firmware update.
In couple of years your player will become slow, and you will want to upgrade again and again, but the Tera Player is a special one and is a true audio investment and if you don't believe me read the comments above as others will agree too.
Again enjoy your player as we enjoy our Tera Player.

Aug 3, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #2,332 of 2,897
musicday no disrespect to you at all either, but I've lost count how often you post raving about the Tera Player and saying essentially the same thing over and over again. Moreover, I'd argue that the Tera Player is inherently flawed by not playing any formats apart from WAV and by not being able to cope with high resolution formats like DSD. There are many ex Tera Player owners who've concluded the same thing and sold their TP's too.

Aug 3, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #2,333 of 2,897
musicday no disrespect to you at all either, but I've lost count how often you post raving about the Tera Player and saying essentially the same thing over and over again. Moreover, I'd argue that the Tera Player is inherently flawed by not playing any formats apart from WAV and by not being able to cope with high resolution formats like DSD. There are many ex Tera Player owners who've concluded the same thing and sold their TP's too.
I am not saying to one buy the Tera Player.But if they care about the sound quality, portability, long battery life and want a player to last very long time and they don't mind about the screenless then this is the best option.
I am saying how good it sounds for me, and if they are interested to buy one they should try to hear it first. I offered myself to let anyone hear mine at CanJam London 2017.
And i have no problems with it playing just WAV. Did you read the part where the Sony guys were impressed with the sound and size of the Tera Player and they took many photos? :)
My favourite pairing now is with Pioneer Master 1 and 64 Audio Tia Fourte.
Anytime you like to discuss further just PM.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #2,334 of 2,897
No disrespect to you at all, but anyone who have read this thread and others related,know that you have have written before exactly same things at least 2 times!
Yes we are fanboys here as there are fanboys in other threads, nothing wrong with that and i am pleased that you like your QP1R, but as you already know I have compared the Tera Player with better higher end models before and I have always prefer it.
Last word: the Tera Player is not only about that natural, organic ,analogue, fatigue free sound, but also about the simplicity,long battery life and Never needs a firmware update.
In couple of years your player will become slow, and you will want to upgrade again and again, but the Tera Player is a special one and is a true audio investment and if you don't believe me read the comments above as others will agree too.
Again enjoy your player as we enjoy our Tera Player.

in the main, i agree with your post. I think its all depends on what's important to you in terms of sound quality and portability. Do i think the Tera player is better than my WM1Z? Of course not, i think the sony is in a different league and so are the many A&K players that i've heard / owned over the years. However if i balance the sound quality and portability, to me, the Tera player is fit for purpose. As previously mentioned, I would not pay full price for one and in fact ended up paying less than a grand for a 2015 player which i think was a fair deal (again IMHO).

Aug 3, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2,335 of 2,897
in the main, i agree with your post. I think its all depends on what's important to you in terms of sound quality and portability. Do i think the Tera player is better than my WM1Z? Of course not, i think the sony is in a different league and so are the many A&K players that i've heard / owned over the years. However if i balance the sound quality and portability, to me, the Tera player is fit for purpose. As previously mentioned, I would not pay full price for one and in fact ended up paying less than a grand for a 2015 player which i think was a fair deal (again IMHO).
Acemcl, you are a lucky one:)
You need to hear it with the Pioneer headphones and Tia Fourte IEM.

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #2,336 of 2,897
Acemcl, you are a lucky one:)
You need to hear it with the Pioneer headphones and Tia Fourte IEM.

Don't have the funds for any purchases this year and probably the next so they will have to wait!

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #2,338 of 2,897
Recently I had some technical issues :) with my Tera Player. When I was inserting the SD card the player it won't read it right away. I had to repeat 4-5 times to get the music playing. It happened there was some clothing/dust residue on the internal card reader. The solution was simple, add tiny bit on a cloth of WD40 then wipe the card contacts gentle and insert it in the player. Now it works perfectly like in the first day, with 0 second delays. Music starts right away once card is inserted.
I had some chat with Charles and the best card that offers the longest playback time, tested for the Tera Player is Sandisk SD blue class 4. Around 15-18 hours with WAV 16 bit 44.1 KHz, for me is worth it, as I wanted the longest playback time between charges.

s-l1600.jpg

Please be careful where you buy them from as there are many fakes out there. I got mine from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SanDisk-6...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Authorized Sandisk seller, and the cards work great. Also are very cheap, £17.99 for 64 GB model. The only downside is the slow speed transfer 4.5 mb/s but It doesn't bother me, well worth it.

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #2,340 of 2,897
Who is still using the Tera Player as his main player still and what earphones/headphones you use?
Been using regularly the ATH-CKR10 and Koss Porta Pro with great results. Still enjoy it like in the first day: 4.8 years ago:)

earphonia_com_11_RE2000-1024x635.jpg

Always nearby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back