The All-New WA7 Fireflies from Woo Audio
Feb 6, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #542 of 726
It's stated on WooAudio's product page that it does not come shipped with either an AC power cord or an A/B USB cable. It's not a hidden fact.

I can understand your frustration since many electronics that need an AC power cord come with one but I came in fully aware before purchasing.

And if you were lurking around this thread, you would easily have known too.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #543 of 726
thank you for telling me that you were "fully aware" that Woo products dont ship with power cords.
you feel better telling me that and i feel better that you shared it.

personally, i would rather not have to supply my own power cord if i spend $1000.
but thats just me.
I also dont wear any tatoos, nor do i own a cell phone.
no wonder i expected a power chord with my $1000 amp:))

im sure i'll love it, and yes, i do have some AC cords that will work with it.
but the idea of this, strikes me as a bit bizarre.
however, thats just me.

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #545 of 726
Many people prefer to upgrade their cables so any stock ones would just go to waste.

Personally I don't believe in fancy cables but I do like them to be of an exact length to suit its placement.

I would have thought that someone with the finances and intent to buy a $1000 amp would have the sense to do some research in advance (seriously, who splashes $1k without even reading the official product page) and have their cables ready.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #546 of 726
IIRC, Woo Audio did reply that they don't provide power cord as they sell their products mostly online and their customers come from all over the world.
It does make sense as there are many type of power plugs, from US, EU, UK, Australia, Japan, etc.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #547 of 726
I purchased the WA7 from a local dealer here in Melbourne, Australia. They provided a generic power cord. So if you don't buy directly from Woo, I think it's a good idea to check whether or not a local dealer will supply a power cord. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #548 of 726
IF you buy an Apple Laptop, or an Acer PC, or a Marantz CD player, or a Marshall HEAD, or a Fender TWIN, or a Meridian Receiver, or an LCD Flat screen or  an Electric Can Opener from SEARS, or any other electronic product in the entire world on any continent from any retailer, you can EXPECT to get a power cord.
Common sense teaches you that if you cant turn on the BRAND NEW  gear because you dont have a cord.....
So, your comment bespeaks ignorance., as its ignorance to even think you would have to "examine a site" regarding any electronic retailer to make certain you have a power cord with  your purchase.
Get real BobJane.
truly.
get in the real world.

and that Woo audio does not include one because it saves you money.........c'mon.
these cables are what ?...........$7?
So you save $7 and spend $993 to get the FIREFLIES...:wink:
Yeah, thats brilliant reasoning ., unless you actually think about it.
And that people, some, would prefer to use their own upgraded cable..... is a lame excuse for not at least putting a $7 cable in the box.
Theologically LAME unsound reasoning, is what it is called.

And by the way, the Firefllies is an exemplary piece of gear.
Its transcendent.
You can buy a different sound but you cant buy a better sound for your headphones.
So, no one is slamming this brilliantly designed piece of sonic wonder.
Lets make that clear.
Its worth 5X the list price with or without a cable.
However, they should have included a power cord.

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #549 of 726
  IF you buy an Apple Laptop, or an Acer PC, or a Marantz CD player, or a Marshall HEAD, or a Fender TWIN, or a Meridian Receiver, or an LCD Flat screen or  an Electric Can Opener from SEARS, or any other electronic product in the entire world on any continent from any retailer, you can EXPECT to get a power cord.
Common sense teaches you that if you cant turn on the BRAND NEW  gear because you dont have a cord.....
So, your comment bespeaks ignorance., as its ignorance to even think you would have to "examine a site" regarding any electronic retailer to make certain you have a power cord with  your purchase.
Get real BobJane.
truly.
get in the real world.

and that Woo audio does not include one because it saves you money.........c'mon.
these cables are what ?...........$7?
So you save $7 and spend $993 to get the FIREFLIES...:wink:
Yeah, thats brilliant reasoning ., unless you actually think about it.
And that people, some, would prefer to use their own upgraded cable..... is a lame excuse for not at least putting a $7 cable in the box.
Theologically LAME unsound reasoning, is what it is called.

And by the way, the Firefllies is an exemplary piece of gear.
Its transcendent.
You can buy a different sound but you cant buy a better sound for your headphones.
So, no one is slamming this brilliantly designed piece of sonic wonder.
Lets make that clear.
Its worth 5X the list price with or without a cable.
However, they should have included a power cord.

Point well taken.  I was fortunate to have a spare lying around.  You can't, however, imply that Jack and Woo Audio should have done anything.  It's their business and your input is welcome but we don't need this to continue more than a single post about something as simple as a power cord.  Of course they've pondered this decision but for what ever reason decided not to so let's just leave it at that.  They cite it on their product page so no false advertising of any sort or harm is done.  Now just enjoy your WA7 like the rest of us :).

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #550 of 726
  Point well taken.  I was fortunate to have a spare lying around.  You can't, however, imply that Jack and Woo Audio should have done anything.  It's their business and your input is welcome but we don't need this to continue more than a single post about something as simple as a power cord.  Of course they've pondered this decision but for what ever reason decided not to so let's just leave it at that.  They cite it on their product page so no false advertising of any sort or harm is done.  Now just enjoy your WA7 like the rest of us :).

thanx for your imput.
yes, 
its common sense to supply a power cord with an electronic device. 
yes,
its written on the Woo Audio .com  site that they do not.
yes,
there is no reason that a buyer should not expect to be able to open the box and play their device without hunting an AC cable (of which i have several).
and no, i dont agree that a consumer should have to read the manual (study the website) BEFORE they buy the product.
yes,
enough of this conversation.
Yes,
its a fine product.
I bought the silver Fireflies this week along with the ResonEssence Concero  HP.
My ears are currently ringing:)
Next week my ZMF V1 headphones will arrive with the Mogami cable and the gold socket.
Yes,
I feel good.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #551 of 726
OK, enough about the power cord.
I do wish Woo supplies generic powercord and USB cable, but they don't so I moved on.

Now, do share your impression of the WA7 and the pairing with the Concero HP.
Btw, did you order the WA7 with the upgraded EH tubes as well?
If not, do consider getting the EH tubes.
Your incoming ZMF v1 headphones really had me curious, as mostly people talk of either the stock T50rp or Mr Speaker's Mad Dog

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #552 of 726

Now, do share your impression of the WA7 and the pairing with the Concero HP.
Btw, did you order the WA7 with the upgraded EH tubes as well?
If not, do consider getting the EH tubes.
Your incoming ZMF v1 headphones really had me curious, as mostly people talk of either the stock T50rp or Mr Speaker's Mad Dog

thank you for your questions.

"initial impressions of the Woo Fireflies as compared to the Concero HP".

using :

AKG 701s and AKG 551s.
NAD Visos
PSB M4U-1s
Sennheiser HD 600s
Beyerdynamic DT 880s
Focal Spirit 1s
Focal Spirit Pros

So, as the Concero HP has no tube circuit to offer i will  compare for you the sound quality of the DACS found in the Concero HP as Compared to the Woo Fireflies and the Meridian Explorer.

First, there is no comparison between the Meridian Explorer and ither Dac in the Concero HP or the Fireflies by Woo.
Both the C-HP and the Fireflies have more detail, more articulation, more dynamics, and more thump.
The Meridian Explorer is a good unit, and compares equally to the CEntrance Dacport, and both of these IMHO, are better then anything else in their price range.
Neither however can compare to the fidelity found in ither the Concero HP Dac or the Woo FFlies Dac.
I'd estimate as a percent, that the Meridian can do 65% of ither the CHP or the WFFlies.

Comparing the Fireflies with the Concero HP, is much more difficult regarding an obvious better Dac.
Also, it goes without saying that in this price range, and considering the companies that created these sound reproduction devices, you dont have to wonder about "EQ balance".
Both have amazing frequency balance.
I find them very complimentary to each other, regarding sound quality.
This surprises me as i had decided even before comparing them, and based on studying reviews of both, that the Concero HP would be an obviously superior sounding Dac due to its filigree and due to the Sabre vs the Fireflie's TI.
WRONG.
Honestly, using all the headphones i listed, i would say that the Fireflie's Dac is so very close to the sound quality of the Concero HP, that, you'd be hard pressed in a blind fold test to tell them apart.
Resolution, detail, and the ability of both unit's DACs to look inside the music is excellent.
Both deal with cymbals and reverb tails very very similarly.
Both drive all the phones i listed with ease.
In my opinion, if you are using HD Sennheisers, and prefer this family's generally warmer tonality to the more clinical sounding Beyers or AKGs, then i would suggest you go with the Concero HP .
If however, you are a true Audiophile and buy all this stuff to hear how each of it sounds and are not loyal to a particular headphone make, then the Woo Fireflies would be my choice.
I dont own Audeze headphones, so, i cant offer a true comparison for you, regarding these 2 Dacs.

If you can afford both the Fireflies and the Concero HP, then dont even hesitate to own both.
If you prefer the Tube sound in your headphones and view the  USB Dac of the Fireflies as a "add on", then of course get the Fireflies as its a Tubular wunderkind.

2 more for your consideration.
The Woo Audio Fireflies looks like an Apple Device, and of course its much prettier then then Concero HP.
I would say that if you mated the Fireflies with a Mac Mini you would have an amazing looking combo, and i think i will:)
And also, the VOLUME knob  on the Fireflies is miles ahead of the Concero HP regarding smooth feel and the way it more carefully  integrates with the  volume control circuit in your Laptop.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #553 of 726
Thanks so much for your impression, appreciate it.

I know some of the WA7 owners here that think the built-in DAC in the WA7 is it Achilles heel and some even call for Woo Audio to come up with amp-only WA7.
Technically the Sabre's chip in the Concero HP is supposedly superior to the DAC chip in the WA7.
The Concero HD (not HP as I'm thinking of pairing the Concero's DAC with WA7 amp) is in my radar as it supports DSD, but then the price is a bit on the high side, compared to other DSD-capable DACs such as Fostex HP-A4 or iFi nano iDSD.

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #554 of 726
  Thanks so much for your impression, appreciate it.

I know some of the WA7 owners here that think the built-in DAC in the WA7 is it Achilles heel and some even call for Woo Audio to come up with amp-only WA7.
Technically the Sabre's chip in the Concero HP is supposedly superior to the DAC chip in the WA7.
The Concero HD (not HP as I'm thinking of pairing the Concero's DAC with WA7 amp) is in my radar as it supports DSD, but then the price is a bit on the high side, compared to other DSD-capable DACs such as Fostex HP-A4 or iFi nano iDSD.

hello,

well, i cant speak to others opinions here of the Fireflie's DAC.
I know what i know, and they know what they believe, and you can judge for yourself what you think:)
However, if you  read reviews of the Fireflies online, say by....Ken Rockwell and others, they all think the DAC is worthy of the unit, but not the main point of the amp.
Ive not read any Fireflies reviews online, that are posted by trusted reviewers like Steve G or Ken R and others who discount the DAC, however, they all are more interested in reviewing the unit as a tube amp specialty product as that is obviously the main intent of the Firesflies.
What i can tell you is that ive compared the Dac in the Woo unit to the Dac in the Concerto HP and i posted it as a new thread.
i added there a little more info.
hope it helps your decision.

thx,

FB1

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #555 of 726
I just pulled the trigger on the WA7 and some hd800. Although I completely trust the head-fi community I am extremely nervous!! It's a lot of money! I have been listening to he500's through a E7/E9 combo and it sounds ok but I know that I have never heard the true glory of these awesome headphones. In all theses post I have heard a lot of folks say the hd800 and the WA7 is a really good synergy and also good things about the he500 and the WA7. I'am hoping that I will be able to get complementing sound signature from this setup. I euphoric mid-range for my rock and electronic music and when I am listening to more complicated music I hope with the hd800 that I can really get inside the music and feel the emotion that the song is trying to convey. I really wanted to say thanks for all of the people to in this awesome community where I live in Alabama there really is no audiophile meetups so I love getting on here and hearing everyone opinions. When I get the WA7 I am promptly going to put up a review of the WA7 and the he500's because I know these headphone and they are really broken in. Wish me luck! Thanks a lot head-fi! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back