The All-New WA7 Fireflies from Woo Audio
Jan 9, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #526 of 726
I
Can anyone help me troubleshoot the WA7, I have downloaded the drivers and set the USB output, also using JRiver and set audio output to ASIO, there seems to be sound coming out of the WA7 when I turn the volume all the way up it's very faint but there..
Any help greatly appreciated

Is the slide switch in the back of the amp in the correct position?

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #527 of 726
T90 and T1, also realized right after I posted that atomicbob was right. I was so fixated on having all the digital signals correct that I forgot to check the switch at the back lol.. talk about an embarrassing first post.
Then again it was weird that there was faint sound coming out from the hp when the switch was not on USB

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #528 of 726
Can't tell you how many times I've debugged non-performing equipment to find that it wasn't powered on. The very faint sound was capacitive coupling of the signal across the switch. That is what led me to think you didn't have the source switch in the correct position.

It happens to us all. At least you are listening on two very fine headphones.

I'm comparing the twoBeyers as well. My conclusions are very similar to gatucho in the T90 thread. T1 are somewhat more accurate, but the fun factor on the T90 is very high. I switch between those two and HD600 and HD800. Each has their place. Similar to owning multiple lenses for a very good camera body.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #529 of 726
Received the LCD-XC & X and have first unpacked the XC at work to listen through the WA7 and even with no burn-in there are literally tears from my eyes listening to pretty much anything.  It is overwhelmingly beautiful sound.  This definately trumps the Beyer T5p.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #530 of 726
  Received the LCD-XC & X and have first unpacked the XC at work to listen through the WA7 and even with no burn-in there are literally tears from my eyes listening to pretty much anything.  It is overwhelmingly beautiful sound.  This definately trumps the Beyer T5p.

Glad you're enjoying them. Do you have any plans to try a separate DAC with the WA7? 

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #531 of 726
  Glad you're enjoying them. Do you have any plans to try a separate DAC with the WA7? 

Funny you should mention it as I was just researching the McIntosh D100.  Problem is can't find a dealer in Atlanta that will respond to email.  where can I go and see this thing and purchase it?  Wish I could order straight from McIntosh but don't see any ordering on their website.

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #532 of 726

I'm thinking of the LCD-X myself after reading recent reviews.  Are you able to compare this combo to the T1 or HD800?

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #533 of 726
  I'm thinking of the LCD-X myself after reading recent reviews.  Are you able to compare this combo to the T1 or HD800?

Just opened the LCD-X and it is just as impressive as the XC but open ofcourse with a larger soundstage and airier presentation.  Equally awesome.  Very very happy with this purchase.  Doesn't have the high mid peak of the T1, just smooth and silky all the way up and down with nothing standing above anything else, everything exactly in it's place.  Both of these are endgame keepers for sure.  Might be selling my Beyers soon...

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #534 of 726

Funny you should mention it as I was just researching the McIntosh D100.  Problem is can't find a dealer in Atlanta that will respond to email.  where can I go and see this thing and purchase it?  Wish I could order straight from McIntosh but don't see any ordering on their website.

Call or email Audio Classics, they are the largest Mcintosh dealer in the world.(I think)

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #535 of 726
Has anyone else tried the LCD-X/XC with the WA7?  I'm most likely going to get one or the other if the combo is as good as it gets.  Also, is there any way to use the DAC only with a desktop set-up?  I'd like to not use the tubes at all times.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #536 of 726
  Has anyone else tried the LCD-X/XC with the WA7?  I'm most likely going to get one or the other if the combo is as good as it gets.  Also, is there any way to use the DAC only with a desktop set-up?  I'd like to not use the tubes at all times.

Thanks in advance.

Yes,  There is a switch on the back that enables the RCA to be either inputs or outputs.  Set it to outputs and send it to the solid state amp of choice.  The tubes are not used in the preamp, only the amp so you get USB to RCA passthrough with the WA7 either on or off.  Having said that I am not sure of the quality or power drive of the pre-amp feeding the RCAs but imagine Woo thought about it more then once.

Highly recommend either of the LCDs depending on your intended environment.  Really cannot go wrong with the WA7 + LCD, a pairing which in my opinion is an end game setup.

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #537 of 726
  Yes,  There is a switch on the back that enables the RCA to be either inputs or outputs.  Set it to outputs and send it to the solid state amp of choice.  The tubes are not used in the preamp, only the amp so you get USB to RCA passthrough with the WA7 either on or off.  Having said that I am not sure of the quality or power drive of the pre-amp feeding the RCAs but imagine Woo thought about it more then once.

Highly recommend either of the LCDs depending on your intended environment.  Really cannot go wrong with the WA7 + LCD, a pairing which in my opinion is an end game setup.

As is the LCD-3 :wink: Haven't heard the LCD-X/XC personally but am so enjoying the LCD-3 I don't see any reason to ever switch, given that many reviews I've read state that all three are superb and it comes down to personal preferences on sound signature.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #538 of 726

Thanks for the help.  Are you using a desktop setup?  I'm trying to get the optimal sound from a desktop setup and so far I've been using MOG for soundtracks.  Should probably upgrade to FLAC and people say foobar2000 is a must?  Not sure how sourcing affects the sound from 320 kbps to FLAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back