The All-New WA7 Fireflies from Woo Audio
Apr 30, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #256 of 726
Thanks for the summary. I'm glad someone could do a more thorough IEM test on them than I could. 
smile.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #257 of 726
Long story short with IEMs: no noise, pretty good balance (though 2-3 dB between L/R), okay resolution. Low Ω earphones (even with the low switch on the back) are not where the WA7 is best suited. You need more than 80Ω and proper high voltage drivers to get the WA7 to perform best. Even the 350Ω Tzar was a bit much for the WA7 in terms of resolution.

However, this amp is noiseless. Resolution is a wishy washy thing. I doubt many people would really pick it up in regular listening. Distortion goes up but dynamic range stays pretty good even with the likes of Earsonics SM2. It's just that you WILL lose frequency response, channel separation, and get a noticeable uptick in distortion. Saying that, overall the WA7 handles earphones as well as most of its competition. Apart from a noiseless output, it remains pretty average for IEM usage. For headphones, there isn't enough room to really praise it. It's great.

Not as stellar as I'd hoped but, as it is, I never use my 8.A's at home because I don't want to buy an entirely separate rig just for home use for my 8.A's when I have my HE-500's right next to them. Having something that can drive them, if not flawlessly, but can drive my HE-500's to perfection is much more important to me.

I don't suppose anyone knows where I could demo a WA7 in the San Francisco area? I gather I have to order directly from Woo Audio but a part of me would love to hear one before I decide to buy or not.

May 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #258 of 726
Quote:
Low Ω earphones (even with the low switch on the back) are not where the WA7 is best suited. You need more than 80Ω and proper high voltage drivers to get the WA7 to perform best. Even the 350Ω Tzar was a bit much for the WA7 in terms of resolution.

I wonder how that would translate to Grados?  Headphones vs earphones?

May 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #259 of 726
Quote:
Great news! We have made anti-slip glass protection pads for the WA7 Fireflies. It is made by silicone rubber and self-adhesive. The pads will help the glass to sit on the amp without sliding easily. Effective April 12th, 2013, all units will include a set of 4 pads. Existing customers will get a complimentary set too! We will mail them out shortly.

Thank you for your continued supports,
Jack

Hey, I am really glad to hear this since it was probably the only fault I could find with this amp. I purchased a WA7 from the Woo Audio site a few months back, so will you automatically be sending these out to all customers who purchased a WA7 from your site (including those outside of the US), or do we have to request that we are sent some?

May 5, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #261 of 726
I haven't read through the entire thread, but I tested the firefly today with my LCDs and I had to max out the volume knob before I achieved decent volume, although I would have preferred to have the volume up some more. Am I losing my hearing or have others also found it's underpowered?? Thanks

May 5, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #262 of 726
I noticed that many listeners at the Quattro de Mayo headphone meet were running the volume on my WA7 much higher than the usual setting I use for HE-500. The HE-500 have a 4 dB lower sensitivity than the LCD-3. I typically listen at approx. 68 to 75 dB SPL as measured with an NIST traceable SLM system. I do worry that many of my headphone listening colleagues are at risk for permanent hearing impairment for the levels at which they listen. An Audeze LCD-3 is calculated to produce over 123 dB SPL peak, 113 dB SPL avg when driven by 1W which the WA7 is capable at 30 ohms. That is very loud.

May 5, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #263 of 726
i can't listen to it higher than 12 oclock. try turning up the digital volume to 100% on your pc/mac if you're using it via usb

May 5, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #264 of 726
I don't have my LCD's at home, but with the HE-500s (arguably a bit easier to drive, sure) I cannot listen much past 12 o'clock without serious risk to my hearing.  I agree with stainless; there must be something else in the chain that is giving you your problems.  I don't think the amp is underpowered.

May 5, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #265 of 726
The amp certainly isn't underpowered. It powers LCD-2's easily. As mentioned above, I'd check with your computer/software volume settings first. Then, I'd check your hearing. Remember, it is easy to break your hearing in this hobby. Smart users keep things well below hearing exhaust limits.

May 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #266 of 726
I'm assuming the output power of the 3.5mm and 1/4 inch jacks are different? 

May 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #268 of 726
Quote:
The amp certainly isn't underpowered. It powers LCD-2's easily. As mentioned above, I'd check with your computer/software volume settings first. Then, I'd check your hearing. Remember, it is easy to break your hearing in this hobby. Smart users keep things well below hearing exhaust limits.

Maybe the spec'ed power output is different than actual?

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/woo/wa7.htm#meas

At the ¼" jack , LO-Z setting

At 0.1% THD
At 1% THD
At Max. Gain
600 Ω
1.6 V RMS @ 12:30 = 4 mW
  0.7% THD @ 9.5 V @ max. = 150 mW
300 Ω
1.0 V RMS @ 12:30 = 33 mW
  0.7% THD @ 9.0 V @ max. = 270 mW
37.5 Ω
115 mV RMS @ 9:30 = 352 µW
1.05 V RMS @ 1:00 = 37 mW
5% THD @ 5 V @ max. = 667 mW

I am also looking at the Icon HP8, and though they don't give the test conditions:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/icon-audio-hp8-mk2-tube-headphone-amplifier

Low setting - 451mW at 32 ohm, 720mW at 50 ohm, 667mW at 150 ohm

??

May 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #269 of 726
Um. You believe Ken Rockwell? 
confused_face.gif

At any rate, my earlier claim that the amp is not underpowered had nothing whatsoever to do with a measurement.  I just listened to my headphones and found that when the attenuator is set to about 12 o'clock, the sound is deafening to my ears (again, with HE-500's not LCD's).  Even Ken Rockwell hisself says that the amp is sufficient to drive LCDs. Of course, every amp will have a slightly different output than spec'ed, but the factors 2 from the table above give me some pause.  Just sayin'.

May 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #270 of 726
^^^

Should I have a reason not to believe the measurements that he got?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back