The all new Continental Dual Mono
Apr 17, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #1,366 of 2,721
  No problem for both. In DAC mode/balance input, I can use low gain and reach acceptable volume with HD800s. The HE1000 require a little more power but I never max out the knob.I extensively tested with the Hugo, Bakoom and CDM today and they all sound different on the HD800s

Wow quite the test, which one was your favorite the Hugo, Bakoon or CDM?

Apr 17, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #1,367 of 2,721
Dac wise no favourites. Maybe the hugo just a little bit for the speed and effortlessness. 

Amp wise, its quite a toss up.

Hugo sound very linear. Everything is just there
CDM had a slightly more elevated mid, with a nicer spread of sound. More airy feeling. There also a feeling of more energy in the vocals.
Bakoom seems to produce a sound that has a very powerful mid in the vocal region. It does move every thing a little back and slight lost of air in the sound.

So I guess its personal taste. Mine leans on the CDM cause it felt more enjoyable.

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #1,368 of 2,721
Dac wise no favourites. Maybe the hugo just a little bit for the speed and effortlessness. 

Amp wise, its quite a toss up.

Hugo sound very linear. Everything is just there

CDM had a slightly more elevated mid, with a nicer spread of sound. More airy feeling. There also a feeling of more energy in the vocals.
Bakoom seems to produce a sound that has a very powerful mid in the vocal region. It does move every thing a little back and slight lost of air in the sound.

So I guess its personal taste. Mine leans on the CDM cause it felt more enjoyable.

+1
My feelings exactly. As previously stated, I find the CDM to be a more musical experience than the combination of Hugo and Liquid Carbon with my modded HD800s. I use high gain and the volume control is never past half way.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #1,370 of 2,721
If you could only have either the CDM or Liquid Carbon, which would you choose?

Oh for sure the CDM :)

Seriously, congratulation to the Cavalli team on the Liquid Carbon.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 18, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #1,372 of 2,721

I'd keep the CDM, but need to qualify that answer - 

1. The CDM is $1500, the LC is (was...) $600
2. The CDM has a built in DAC, the LC is amp only
3. The CDM is portable, the LC is not

Cavalli did an amazing job with the LC to bring such performance to a balanced amp for relatively little cost, and i'm holding onto mine.

If you are expecting a 'tubey' sound from the CDM you will be disappointed. To my ears it sounds like a solid state amp but with just a touch of the euphony that well designed tubes can bring to the party. The reason I love it is that it always passes the Peter Hi-Fi review test - I'll play a song from an album and end up listening to the whole album. The CDM is just so musical. Yes, I'm sure that the Hugo / LC combination trumps the CDM on many Hi-Fi - ish levels, but for there musicality, the CDM is simply wonderful! I use the Sonotone tubes.

As for the upcoming Continental V5, i'm sure that it will be amazing but in terms of topology it's so different to the CDM. No DAC. Single tube. Tuned for more power. Single ended only.
Buy a CDM and be happy getting lost in the music (-:

Cheers,

Peter.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #1,373 of 2,721
Thanks for the detailed response Peter (@pipedreamer ).

Guess @KB couldn't decide. I understand though. My question was like asking a parent which child is their favorite......

Good to know the CDM sounds more solid-state than tubey. Doubt the CV5 will sound any 'tubier' than the CDM.

Right now I'm torn between getting the CV5 and Liquid Carbon or a non-hybrid portable tube amp around the same price as the CDM (for a more tubey sound; although headphone pairings may be more difficult).

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #1,374 of 2,721
  Thanks for the detailed response Peter (@pipedreamer ).

Guess @KB couldn't decide. I understand though. My question was like asking a parent which child is their favorite......

Good to know the CDM sounds more solid-state than tubey. Doubt the CV5 will sound any 'tubier' than the CDM.

Right now I'm torn between getting the CV5 and Liquid Carbon or a non-hybrid portable tube amp around the same price as the CDM (for a more tubey sound; although headphone pairings may be more difficult).

Hi Gr8soundz,

Sure no, so the CDM and the CV5 really serve different way to use the amp, I dont see one "better" than the other. One is only better than the other in the ways you would be using it, so I cant really answer your question well. For me, because I dont use the DAC I am using the Cv5 the most, however when ever I need to power through a buch of photo editing or answer emails, I do to the CDM. 

Sound wise, I will let others make that judgement as its going to be subjective, they both have very similar sounds of course.

Hope this helps!

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 18, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #1,375 of 2,721

Hi Gr8soundz,

Sure no, so the CDM and the CV5 really serve different way to use the amp, I dont see one "better" than the other. One is only better than the other in the ways you would be using it, so I cant really answer your question well. For me, because I dont use the DAC I am using the Cv5 the most, however when ever I need to power through a buch of photo editing or answer emails, I do to the CDM. 

Sound wise, I will let others make that judgement as its going to be subjective, they both have very similar sounds of course.

Hope this helps!

ken

That does help, thanks Ken.

I won't need the CDM's dac and I like all the improvements you guys mentioned when making the smaller CV5.

Btw, has the CV5's price been finalized and when will pre-orders start?

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #1,377 of 2,721
+1

I'd keep the CDM, but need to qualify that answer - 

1. The CDM is $1500, the LC is (was...) $600
2. The CDM has a built in DAC, the LC is amp only
3. The CDM is portable, the LC is not

Cavalli did an amazing job with the LC to bring such performance to a balanced amp for relatively little cost, and i'm holding onto mine.

If you are expecting a 'tubey' sound from the CDM you will be disappointed. To my ears it sounds like a solid state amp but with just a touch of the euphony that well designed tubes can bring to the party. The reason I love it is that it always passes the Peter Hi-Fi review test - I'll play a song from an album and end up listening to the whole album. The CDM is just so musical. Yes, I'm sure that the Hugo / LC combination trumps the CDM on many Hi-Fi - ish levels, but for there musicality, the CDM is simply wonderful! I use the Sonotone tubes.

As for the upcoming Continental V5, i'm sure that it will be amazing but in terms of topology it's so different to the CDM. No DAC. Single tube. Tuned for more power. Single ended only.
Buy a CDM and be happy getting lost in the music (-:

Cheers,

Peter.

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #1,379 of 2,721
edition -x is not much of a test for the new amp since it is incredibly efficient and requires very little amplification...better to test with cans like the HE1000 or even the LCD-4

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #1,380 of 2,721
Sorry to ask it I canot see from the pictures : does the Balanced output uses 3,5 mm or 2,5 mm Jack like A&K ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back